Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hemi intake picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cretin, Jun 22, 2009.

1. DICK DAKE - Here is a "sort of Tech" on what I did. All I needed to do was to have the carb pads on the top of the intake milled parallel with the crank centerline...parallel with the intake port flanges. I cut a 3/4" aluminum plate to fit inside the blower base (the part I bought on ebay), then made a paste board template of the carb pads/carb mounting stud holes. During all this, I set the plate/manifold base on the intake and measured/adjusted/moved it all until it was where it needed to be. Once it was set, I layed the template on the plate, did the machine work (drilling) and welded the plate to the base. By the way, the blower base I got on ebay (Dyers) was a raw casting and needed to have the top and bottom milled parallel to each other and drilled and tapped. It is generic, and can be used on any intake. This was how you got a blower intake years ago and made your own...

<LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

My edmunds on a 331 with 354 heads

Attached Files:

3. truckdude1

truckdude1

4x2 log manifold on a 56 DeSoto built by Demon452 and now in my garage in a 56 IH pickup. This sucker is heavy! I tried painting it aluminum color but it still weighs the same?

Attached Files:

4. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Any body know any info on a crager 4x2 for the 392,how many were made

5. Here is the first dual quad factory aluminum intake manifold Chrysler Corp. ever cast for the 331 hemi in place on one of the Pan Am New Yorker race cars complete with the required water manifolding that completes the installation. The casting number on the manif itself was 1530220 and they were made in late '53 for the first Pan Am NYer race cars (think Mexican Road Race). Some of these also went into AAA stock cars. Carl Kiekhaefer's race team definietly had at least a few of these. Also attaching a pic of the manifold off the car.

Attached Files:

6. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Didn't see the 'newly made' Weiand dual quad intake come by after a quick glance, so how about a Hemi intake on a non-Hemi motor? ;)

[​IMG]

7. I am attaching pictures that offer a comparison that most of you will never see and that most restorers are not aware of but some old racers will remember.

The first picture is of the top of the standard cast iron '57-58 Chrysler 392 Hemi dual quad intake manifold. This is cast with part number 1733477. They made thousands of them for the '57-58 300C and 300D Letter Cars which produced 375HP and came with torqueflite automatic transmissions.

The bottom of that manifold in standard production looks like the second picture. NOTE that the center heat ports are open to carry exhaust heat to the choke oven area beneath the carburetors. This is typical of all production manifolds from the factories regardless of carburetion.

The third picture is also a cast iron manifold and still carries the same part number of 1733477. However, this is the racing manifold for the 390 horsepower stick shift cars of 1957. NOTE that the center heat ports are cast solid from the factory and also NOTE that the word "SPECIAL" is cast into the bottom side of this manifold. Exhaust heat does not get to the bottom of the carbs early in the engine heating cycle in a race engine.

I own a 390HP 300C. If you have one of the SPECIAL intakes on your bench, please PM me. Thanks.

Attached Files:

8. drag star on my 354.....6 chrome original to the engine strombergs with original chrome scoops....homemade fuel log....

[​IMG]

T.H.

9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Here's a dual four cast iron Hemi intake manifold that I think fit a 354 BEFORE it was brazed and modified for some other head. Anyone know why or for what it was modified for? #ber on the under belly looks like 1634285................ Thanks

Attached Files:

10. Here are two examples of Hilborns on early Hemis.

The first and by far the most important is a view of the Hilborns on the Chrysler Hemi that was prepared for the 1954 Indy 500, the rules allowed a stock block engine to displace up to 330cu in. During Firestone tire testing the Hemi blew away the existing lap times established by the Offy 4 bangers, which as pure racing twin overhead cam engines, were restricted to 270cu in.

When the Indy 500 power brokers realized they could easily loose to a Detroit stocker motor, the rules suddenly changed and the Hemi was not allowed to race.

For more info see the text at:

http://www.wediditforlove.com/techtalk10b.html

I took these photos at the Miller Meet in 2003...the awesome Hemi in the Kurtis chassis was wonderful. This is the actual Hemi Kurtis not a recreation.

The second Hemi with Hilborns is my little Dodge Hemi sitting in a Model A based track-nosed roadster. The plating is nickel with some pickling done after plating. Modern Bosch injectors are hidden below the fake valley plate. The original Hilborn injector bosses/plenum are used as vacuum circuits for the EFI control module. The valve covers are spare covers used for mock up and storage.

I you look closely the stamped D500 engine number prefix is visible.

For more go to:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356019&highlight=track+roadster&showall=1

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  11. George

George

55 & 56 300s used that part #. strange isn't it!

12. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

Low Deck Dodge Offenhauser 3x2 94's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. The first two pics are of a 57 Dodge 900 and the other was at Detroit Autorama a few years ago.

Attached Files:

14. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Hilborn EFI

Attached Files:

15. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

any info on the crager 4x2 how many were made?

16. Scott F.

Scott F.

Here's mine. Very cool thread. When I got this it had a stromberg aero-quad on it. Cool set up. Don't know what I'm going to put it on but I think it's cool!

Scott

Attached Files:

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I heard a rumor that in 57 , the 392 had been given fuel injection from the factory......has anyone ever heard this? I would understand if it was an experimental thing..as i heard the few units that did get produced never ran well at all.
    Anyone ever hear of this urban legend?

18. Yep, that's a fact

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  19. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Sure, it's not an urban legend. The number seems to be 15 were made.

20. Soviet

Soviet

Truth. All were recalled after problems were reported.

21. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Just found this tread:D Anybody got pics of 6x2 logs for the baby dodge 241-270?

22. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Scored up this super rare 8 carb Edelbrock X-3 last year. According to Vic Edelbrock, it is one of 13 that Edelbrock built by reworking the 6 carb X-3. I'm looking forward to making it run!

Attached Files:

INVISIBLEKID and classiccarjack like this.
  23. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Very cool thread!

24. marchal

marchal

do you know of any carb setups for a 270 dodge Hemi??
    thanks

25. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

270 Baby Hemi IMG_3299.JPG IMG_3300.JPG

Rickybop and silent rick like this.
  26. George

George

Hot Heads has 4 bl, 2X2 & 3X2 intakes

27. das858

das858

Gene Adam's -Hilborn injection on a 354
    20230209_161228.jpg

slayer and gimpyshotrods like this.
  28. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Offy on the 241, Weiand on the 276

hemis.jpg

slayer and gimpyshotrods like this.
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Owner ended up not using this setup. I bought the cabarburetors.

4573.jpeg

chrome_screenshot_1675731678775.png

slayer and brigrat like this.