Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 08-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
unearthly57

Default 6 lug to five lug

the 57 project truck im working on was 6 lug front and rear. iv junked the old rear and it now has an s10 5 lug rear. the front has a dropped solid i-beam axle. when i go to buy new spindles will i be able to buy hubs with 5 lugs? a friend of mine said i could put chevy car hubs from the same era on the truck spindles or if that doesnt work they said i could get car spindles and fit them onto the new axle i-beam and new spindles for chevy car also, not sure if this will work though.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Gromit

Default Re: 6 lug to five lug

There are disc conversion kits to do just that. It generally involves sleaving the spindle to accept a different bearing etc.

This should not be Rocket Surgery

Narf! - Pinky
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
squirrel
Old School HAMBer

51-54 chevy car front hubs and drums will fit the original 57 chevy half ton truck front spindles and brakes. Make sure you use the car dust shield that goes between the backing plate and inner bearing, the truck shield will hit the hub.

If you want disks...you can get a conversion kit to fit them on the stock spindles.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Gromit

Or get adapters for the rear and keep the 6 bolt.... just sayin

Narf! - Pinky
Old 11-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
jj4302
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
51-54 chevy car front hubs and drums will fit the original 57 chevy half ton truck front spindles and brakes. Make sure you use the car dust shield that goes between the backing plate and inner bearing, the truck shield will hit the hub.

If you want disks...you can get a conversion kit to fit them on the stock spindles.
By switching out the hubs and drums, what is needed? Sorry for the question if it's stupid, but I have searched everywhere for early 50's car hubs and I can't find them anywhere. Is it simply getting the drums and re-using the truck hub? Any suggestions on where to buy the stuff for the conversion? Finally, will the swap work on the rear the same as the front? I just bought a 59 Apache and want to put 5 lug wheels on it. I like the drums and straight axle, and I really don't have the skills or money to do the IFS swap. I also plan to do the bearings too since I plan on going with wider wheels, but don't want to do anything until I find out what is involved in the swap. Any help would be greatly appreciated! The new guy has enough info to be confused.... Thanks JJ
Old 11-04-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
RICKY MCGREGOR
Grenade Inspector

I too would like to what to do and want is needed on my 53 1/2 ton.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
Tudor T-Rod
FNG

Go to the chevy truck site 67-72chevytrucks.com and search the past threads for you desired year. There are a lot of threads about brakes over there.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
RPM
Grenade Inspector

We have those kits in stock. They are complete and ready to bolt on. They come with the spacer as others have mentioned. We sell them for $249.00 plus shipping

http://shop.eztbucket.com/Chevy-Brake-Kit-3011.htm

We have an in house CNC Plasma. Give us a call 865-932-7541