Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > Archives > Art Archive

Old 08-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #101
ToddJ

Default Re: Hokey Ass Art Show.

Del.....brother.....no heat here....needed to be said! With that being said, Norwell, LOWCAB, Krayola, Spoggie, Schwager, Tmoore, GaryC, Cixpack, Allison, A32Flathead, HotRodJen, Buick59....Brilliant work.

Visit my Blog: www.tjonesdesign.blogspot.com
online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #102
ALLISON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Swanson View Post
Great stuff guys! ......Unfortunately, here's where I become a jerk to a few posters. In my opinion, the computer is a great tool to create or enhance ones own artwork. I do NOT consider taking a photograph, pushing a few buttons or sliding a few sliders in a Photoshop filter, to be artwork. Especially if you didn't even take the photo. I know I'll get a lot of heat for this, but it's my opinion as an artist.
Del.. Normally I would totally agree with what your thinking.. and, knowing the rotten deal your going through with that stolen art deal I totally understand.. But, consider this. Sure there ends up being a certain amount of art posted here that is maybe not as original as others. And yes, usually that is something done digitally, and usually based on someone elses photo.. But, as far as I have noticed, none of that art is being done on a professional level. meaning, this is stuff guys are doing on their spare time just for the love of hot rod art... and that, I can totally respect.... Never will you hear me smack talk the person experimenting with images just for the love of art, because thats really what its about.. and every artist, even the best.. gets their inspiration from somewhere, even if its less obvious than others... dont get me wrong though... a person that runs an image through a filter and presents themselves as an artist to boast about what they can do?, Ill samck talk that guy every time.... I might have missed something posted this week that has you worked up, but as far as I could see there are a lot of great professional artists posting what they do, and a lot hobby artists posting the best they can do ... any of you guys out there doing the digital stuff, consider it a learning tool on how to lay down the colors and composition.. and if youve gotten decent at doing it digitally, try it a few times with some paint or pens, or even crayons...
In the mean time... here is something far more digital than my normal work.. its the main page of my new web site www.jeffallisondesign.com .... I started this by first designing the car itself, i call it the AsymetricA... Then I worked up a full color rendering of it with AD marker pens and prismacolor pencils.. scanned it, and worked it some more in photoshop.. drew up the lady, worked her in the same fashion and added her in.. the rest is easy to figure out its digital... So, my point is that digital HAS its place in the art world for the professional as much as the beginer....
great art show everyone... I'll try to be more regular than ive been... beings its summer, shows, I moved, ect... just slips my mind to get on here every friday... but I love seeing what everyone is doing.... keep it up

Old 08-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #103
Jigger
Old School HAMBer

Diplomatically put Jeff.
Del, you're absolutely right when it comes to the raw deal you found yourself on the other side of. A thief is a thief is a thief just as a tiger is a tiger...
I encourage the amateurs to experiment and add their contributions but give due respect and credit to the artists whose work inspired or contributed to your work and keep creating!

Nothing new for me, too busy, but soon, I will have something. In the mean time, I can't
seem to find the posts nor the magazine featuring this Chevy modified. I'd like to request that someone looking in on the art show who does know the owner/builder please PM me. I would like to try to contact them personally otherwise I'm as guilty of what Del makes mention of as the next guy. Need to give credit where credit is due and request user approval... (some may recall I created this for a H.A.M.B. art challenge.)

and here's a micro doodle...

http://markervin327.wix.com/art-n-moti0n#!
offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #104
JeffreyJames
Old School HAMBer

With todays cameras there is no post process editing like there was. So instead of being in a dark room there is the photo editing software. There's definitely a difference between someone that can throw some actions at a photo and someone that's taken then time to learn the "craft" of photo editing. It's kinda where we are now and while classic mediums will always be most respected it's now coming to an age where digital artists are gaining more and more respect. Just like with anything from music, photography, painting or whatnot, it take discipline, practice, style and restraint to be respected.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #105
Centurion9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Swanson View Post
Great stuff guys! ......Unfortunately, here's where I become a jerk to a few posters. In my opinion, the computer is a great tool to create or enhance ones own artwork. I do NOT consider taking a photograph, pushing a few buttons or sliding a few sliders in a Photoshop filter, to be artwork. Especially if you didn't even take the photo. I know I'll get a lot of heat for this, but it's my opinion as an artist.

Agreed......A few months ago, I suggested that the next Art Challenge might be a one-time return to a project limited to pencil to see what we really had to work with here. I too see a place for everything, but I'd like to see a return to some basic drawing skills now and then. Well said Del.....Centurion9
Old 08-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #106
kus1om
FNG

A little sketch waiting for a slow computer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tallowood speed 1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	1706275  
Old 08-04-2012, 03:57 AM   #107
Cruisin'

....my drawing skills are way less than behind a shutter.
Here is a simple pic I took recently, it is what it is.......
Old 08-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #108
Spoggie
Old School HAMBer

Thanks ToddJ. Lookin' fwd to your posts.
Hey Jeff Allison, cool stuff-

Hey folks- how about an Assymetrical F.A.S Challenge.
Let's say last Fri in September. If it's cool with the Boss, COME ONE, COME ALL.

;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120802Alfa8.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1706365  

Last edited by Spoggie; 08-04-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #109
metalhotrodgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoggie View Post
Thanks ToddJ. Lookin' fwd to your posts.
Hey Jeff Allison, cool stuff-

Hey folks- how about an Assymetrical F.A.S Challenge.
Let's say last Fri in September. If it's cool with the Boss, COME ONE, COME ALL.

;
what would a assymetrical challenge by as in medium usage
Old 08-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #110
redlinetoys
Old School HAMBer

Great art this week guys (and gals!)

Love it!

www.Fotki.com/redlinetoys/
Old 08-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #111
Slim Pickens
Old School HAMBer

I am no pro photographer like Mike Harrington. Not even close. I just try and represent what this site is all about. And having a venue like the FAS is a great way to show my photographs. Are they artistic? I dont know. I dont care. But I work hard at it and give it my best shot. No filters. No photoshop. I even use film sometimes. I hope you guys and gals like what I do. I love ALL the art you all share. Take care. Be safe.
Slim
Old 08-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #112
ToddJ

Slim, I always dig your photos. Very well thought out, great subject matter and cool compositions.

Visit my Blog: www.tjonesdesign.blogspot.com
online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #113
A32Flathead
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Pickens View Post
I am no pro photographer like Mike Harrington. Not even close. I just try and represent what this site is all about. And having a venue like the FAS is a great way to show my photographs. Are they artistic? I dont know. I dont care. But I work hard at it and give it my best shot. No filters. No photoshop. I even use film sometimes. I hope you guys and gals like what I do. I love ALL the art you all share. Take care. Be safe.
Slim

Ummmm....yeah .....what he said.....