Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 12-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #21
geemann51
Alliance Member

Default Re: Looking for pics of Black Cherry Pearl or Candy paint jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimegreeeeeen View Post
great color. The fact that you can'r find many is a good indication, IMO. It takes balls to do really dark on the reds, but them are the most badass. I say stick with the really dark and deep color. And check out FINKd's gallery. He's awesome.
My thoughts exactly, check out Jeff's Cadillac, I believe it's the exact color your looking for.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #22
donzzilla
Grenade Inspector

Any colors in the Black Cherry range look good on "Curvy" cars. It needs the hi lights of them big old fat fenders. It is not a good color to put on a flat car. I had a customer see a '34 Plymouth that I did in 90's Cadillac Black Cherry. The car was stunning. He had an early 70's LeMans. He was dripping over the color. Had to have it. I tried to talk him out of it. The car just didn't get the "Look" that the '34 had. The color gets kind of muddy on big flat surfaces.

I also did a '32 Chevy in the same color. The customer insisted on some pearl in the clear. Again, I suggested no. It gave the car a milky kind of dull look.

When done right on the right car it is a show stopper of a color though. Changes in different light. It is also a very hard color to photograph. It looks flat. It's just one of them in person colors.

Zilla!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:52 AM   #23
Hooligan63

Quote:
Originally Posted by geemann51 View Post
My thoughts exactly, check out Jeff's Cadillac, I believe it's the exact color your looking for.
No,I've seen Jeff's,his is a Brandywine. What I'm looking for is exactly what Zman is running,where it looks black until it's in the light,then this red pops from nowhere. Roof may go brandywine,or Black Cherry Candy over bases of silver,gold and copper for the patterns and lace. I already bought my black cherry flake(5 ounces because it was cheap for me,and this wi8ll be used on the roof,scallops,dash and interior trim)
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #24
geemann51
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan63 View Post
No,I've seen Jeff's,his is a Brandywine. What I'm looking for is exactly what Zman is running,where it looks black until it's in the light,then this red pops from nowhere. Roof may go brandywine,or Black Cherry Candy over bases of silver,gold and copper for the patterns and lace. I already bought my black cherry flake(5 ounces because it was cheap for me,and this wi8ll be used on the roof,scallops,dash and interior trim)
Got it, I guess technically Jeff's car is a custom mix of wild cherry over a some sort of gray base.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #25
Hooligan63

Quote:
Originally Posted by geemann51 View Post
Got it, I guess technically Jeff's car is a custom mix of wild cherry over a some sort of gray base.
Yeah,the color of Jeff's Caddy is the color I'm aiming for on the roof,but the body is an actual Black Cherry color over a dark base

Here's a great pic of Jeff's Caddy off of Rikster's fotki page:
Old 12-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #26
Hooligan63

This is one version of the color,notice how you can barely make out a red tinge to the black?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #27
EXK

This one is a little darker and I think this is the color you might be chasing. Bright Red in direct sun light and almost black in any shaded areas and looks black at night. The main base color was a light charcoal with the flames done in silver flake and highlights in a dark peutter. If you go on my web site take a look at the sleep walker 51 merc it is even darker. We used a colebolt blue pearl base and HOC brandywine. That color never realy poped even in direct sun but it might be what you like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0858.jpg
Views:	2297
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	855536   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0881.jpg
Views:	1105
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	855537  
Old 12-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #28
zman
Alliance Member

Quote:
What I'm looking for is exactly what Zman is running,where it looks black until it's in the light,then this red pops from nowhere.
It's a customers car, and it is HOK Wild Cherry over black on top. on Gold on the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowandLow63 View Post
Zman has the best one that I can think of... (and also have pictures of)

Maybe he'll post some out in the sun pics, I can;t seem to find any...
Can't find any sun pics, though I'll try and see if Rush (the owner) has any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
All HOK, black above the trim gold below, and I want to say it was Wild Cherry Kandy, but I can check when I get to the shop.
Wow my memory is not as bad as I thought.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #29
Tinbasher
Grenade Inspector

Harley Davidson had a perfect Brandy Wine Candy in the 80's. It used a dark grey mini flake base with the dark red Candy over top. It was bright red in the sunlight but almost black in the shade.

Still love that Colour.

The Old Tnbasher
Old 12-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #30
finkd

[QUOTE=Hooligan63;4722291]No,I've seen Jeff's,his is a Brandywine. What I'm looking for is exactly what Zman is running,where it looks black until it's in the light,then this red pops from nowhereQUOTE]

GEEMANS CAR IS KANDYAPPLE RED OVER A SILVER BASE, MY CADDY IS WILDCHERRY OVER A GREY MET BASE.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #31
Hooligan63

[QUOTE=finkd;4723962]
Quote:
No,I've seen Jeff's,his is a Brandywine. What I'm looking for is exactly what Zman is running,where it looks black until it's in the light,then this red pops from nowhereQUOTE]

GEEMANS CAR IS KANDYAPPLE RED OVER A SILVER BASE, MY CADDY IS WILDCHERRY OVER A GREY MET BASE.
It's the grey that throws me off then,makes it look almost Brandywine,and that's what I'm aiming for on the roof.The one zman has pics of looks black on the upper coat,then deep cherry in the light,which is what I'm aiming for on the body..
Old 12-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #32
finkd

Just use a black pearl base then and top it with wild cherry
Old 12-30-2009, 08:26 AM   #33
chopolds
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkd View Post
Just use a black pearl base then and top it with wild cherry
This guy knows paint!

Whenever doing custom paint, please do some test patterns first!
I did a Mustang in a version of black cherry....mixed black bascoat 1/2 and 1/2 with HOK black pearl. Then 4 coats of Candy red over it. It looked black whenever the sun was not out, but came alive in sunlight, or bright streetlights. I thought it was a bit too dark for my liking, but the customer loved it.
Experiment with it. Try it over regular Black Pearl. Or Galaxy Gray, or a mix of the two to get the "darkness" right for you.
Try different colors of red over your base, as well. Regular red would be my first choice, but using wild cherry would give you a hint of purple in the color. Brandywine or burgundy will give your red a slightly different hue.
If you get the darkness you want, but desire a bit more "sparkle", add a tiny bit of micro flake into the first coat or 2 of candy and bury it with 2 more coats. It will give a subtle sparkle to the paint.
If that's too much sparkle, add some of your black pearl to your first couple candy coats..not more than about 5% of paint volume. Pearl is a more subtle sparkle than flake.
Sometimes before I pick a color, I might paint a dozen old thinner cans to get the color and effect right!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #34
finkd

[QUOTE=chopolds;4726323]This guy knows paint!

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING , LIKE YOU KNOW YOUR WAY AROUND THE COLOR WHEEL. I LOVE YOUR WORK ON THE COPPERKART. SHOW ME MORE, I CRAVE MORE!
Old 01-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #35
Unclee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbasher View Post
Harley Davidson had a perfect Brandy Wine Candy in the 80's
They also had a black cherry on the special 95th anniversary models, so '98. Sorry, no photo, but Louie S. just bought a Snap On tool box that was a Harley special edition painted that color and it fits right in with all his black cabinets. It's already loaded with tools and secured in place so I can't get the paint code off the back.

Last edited by Unclee; 01-03-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #36
Cathy Elgin
FNG

Question Re: Looking for pics of Black Cherry Pearl or Candy paint jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXK View Post
This one is a little darker and I think this is the color you might be chasing. Bright Red in direct sun light and almost black in any shaded areas and looks black at night. The main base color was a light charcoal with the flames done in silver flake and highlights in a dark peutter. If you go on my web site take a look at the sleep walker 51 merc it is even darker. We used a colebolt blue pearl base and HOC brandywine. That color never realy poped even in direct sun but it might be what you like.
iI am looking to paint my 1941 chevrolet sedan and I would like to know what the paint you used on this is this paint is what I am looking for cant fine what I need around here will have to order need to know if you can give me the colors and how it was painted. Please call my husband and talk with him about this. we want it done before sept. for rod show in tenn. phone 864-980-0060 or e-mail catelgin@hotmail.com
Old 07-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #37
GaryB
Alliance Member

^^^^^ one long winded sentence right there^^^^^^
Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #38
'Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy Elgin View Post
iI am looking to paint my 1941 chevrolet sedan and I would like to know what the paint you used on this is this paint is what I am looking for cant fine what I need around here will have to order need to know if you can give me the colors and how it was painted. Please call my husband and talk with him about this. we want it done before sept. for rod show in tenn. phone 864-980-0060 or e-mail catelgin@hotmail.com
The ex-Harold Olsen Chevy is quite famous. Maybe you can find info on its paint.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #39
loudnfast
FNG

Quote:
This is one version of the color,notice how you can barely make out a red tinge to the black?

Anybody know who own this or can tell me how they got this color .Im wanting a very black with a tiny hint of red in direct light without looking purple.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #40
klawockvet
Alliance Member

I'm looking for this color as well. Anybody?