Register now to get rid of these ads!

Monroe Swap meet score and ...........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Rabid Whippet, May 18, 2012.

1. On the way to the Monroe swap meet, we missed the exit to get onto Hwy 9. We had to turn around and turned into a driveway that was having an estate sale. Low and behold they had a Packard in the driveway for sale. That got our attention!! Anyway they are selling the Packard cheap but I can't take on another car for any cost. I would think $3,000 would buy it. But anyway I found this killer grinder that is a 13 amp 1 hp 10" grinder. This thing spooled up and it was whisper quiet. How about $50 for the 250 lb grinder. The cover for the stones are made out of pressed 3/8 steel plate and it has a 1/2" steel plate on the base!!! Look at the tubes on the back for discharging any grinding material!!! I think I scored!!!! I have cursed my POS grinder every time I used it in the last 20 as it was gutless. Well this is a huge step up!!! Oh and it also came with 4 new( old) stones. Anyway we left for the Monroe swap meet and right beside our booth the people have a very good looking set of 1936 rims tires and beauty rims. The rims and trim look like new and they are fully balanced. The tires look new also but were on the car and driven just a few miles. These were $325 with the adapters!!!!!! Just a month ago I was talking to my brother telling him my 1936 really needs wide whites and I wish that the previous owner didn't install the newer hubs and rear as I LOVE the 1936 rims!!! Thats when we were discussing the possibility of an adapter from the wide 5s to the more modern 4 1/2"on 5s. I actually didn't know they made them. But low and behold, I got everything I wanted right beside our booth!!!!! The cool thing is that we bought them from this 80ish year old woman from Canada that owns a 1936 Ford with all more modern running gear and she new her stuff!!!She said she had a two car garage with her 36s on one side and her driver on the other side!!! Anyway, glad she is still into cars and that she sold me the stuff I wanted for my car!!!!!! The swap meet officially doesn't open till tomorrow!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  2. I'm going to polish the center band on the grinder as its Stainless steel, paint the housing and stand gloss black with some cool painted panels on the front. Ad maybe I will do some red pinstriping on it.
    Anyone know what vintage it is?

3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Very sweet score! Gotta love them wide-five wheels.

4. ask the guys on the garage journal!

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Whippet, you might have got a set of wide 5's but i scored a single 5" wide one..... Not artillery spoke either, rare shit, ive been told lincoln, big truck or accessory....

6. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

btw i have some b+d hand drills from the 1920's or 30's that i use regularly, and your logo looks older to me

7. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Wow, the 36 wheels with the adapters you needed, right beside you, that was meant to be. The grinder is industrial badass! Nice Scores.

8. LOL!!!!! So that makes the grinder 1980 LOL!!! Man you are a youngen!!!I'm twice your age and that logo is definately older than me!!! You always seem to find cool shit!!
    Oooops!!!! Just reread your post and it said "older than yours" not "older than me". I reverse the LOL with Doh!!!!

9. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

What a score on those rims. Icing on the cake is that it comes with all the fittings. Can be a PITA finding the right wheels nuts.

Always good when you get a nice find:cool:

10. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

11. Picked up a 1950 Ford front grill that was rusting today. I picked up a few cans of paint and gave a quick sand blast and paint job to hang on the barn wall. 1 hr and I have some color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I had to have this to keep my liquids cool!!!

[​IMG]

12. I like the grill, that will make some cool garage art. The cooler ain't bad either!

13. Also picked up a 1936 Chevy truck grill with 2 inserts that were in pretty good shape for $60 .

14. Also I got this Tiki thrown in with the grinder. How cool is this!!!!

[​IMG]

15. snot275

snot275

some awesome finds man!

16. That grinder looks military (navy) issue, we had those on board ship late 60s early 70s and they were actually WW2 era. They never wear out, just be sure and let the come up to full speed before taking anything to the stones. They will spin for minutes when you turn them off. Great score! Didn't see any in the pictures are there grease cups on it to keep the bearings lubed?

17. that old grinder was made in the U.S.A.!!.....that's the difference between something made with pride and built to last forever and some offshore hunk of shit !!!

18. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

19. GDoug76

GDoug76

I dig the vintage pepsi machine

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great score on the grinder. I'd think that it was as old or older than I am and made when Black & Decker made real equipment for industrial use.

You came out a winner on the rims and tires too.

21. I looked all over for any area that the bearings could be lubed and nothing!!!

22. When I went back to pick up the grinder, I said " did the Tiki come with it"? The woman said "Of coarse"!!! I thought it was cool also. Complete with the top chewed by a dog!!! I bet that dog is dead now!!! Don't mess with the Tiki!!!!

23. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From this.................to this!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Is this why I am not getting as much work on my car that I want to? Oh look a rusty object................. 4 hours later .........Look a shiney object!!!

24. I polished the bolts, oiled the bearings and bolted it back together. Now its on to the discharge hoses and base. I will get some Lexan for the lenses and be ready to grind!!