Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 05-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #41
jazz1

Default Re: Sand blaster vs. Compressor dilemma

Sandblasting requires a crapload of air,,as does HVLP spray guns...Get a compressor capable of 18 cfm @ 90 psi ,,nothing less. This one of mine is 3 cylinder single stage 220v. My neighbour was good enough to move it into the shop with his new toy.

offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #42
chopolds
Old School HAMBer

Go to a compressor repair shop in your area, or hunt down shops going out of business. Buy a good brand used compressor, even if it needs a bit of repair. It will last years longer than the NEW cheap CHinese crap you'd buy at a box store.
Speed-aire, Quincy, Ingersoll
Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #43
31Vicky with a hemi
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb33anda3rd View Post
your sort of correct but you have to think of it like this, you can drive a lot longer with a big block v8 [ the engine equivalent of a sand blaster] if you start out with a larger size gas tank. yes the compressor will put out the same, but you filled more air before you even started. compressor may never catch up but it will not run out as fast.
Flawed logic there.
if the compressor puts out 99 CFM and you are using 100 CFM, it will never keep up. At best you'll have a 20-30% blast time with a large enough tank while the compressor runs 100% of time.

Much the same way as if you were to sell $1.00 for $0.99 cents, you'll be broke soon. The more you start out with (tank size) the longer it takes. The more volume you sell (cfm usage) the quicker you go broke.

the hamb relay network
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=214
online   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #44
tb33anda3rd
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Vicky with a hemi View Post
Flawed logic there.
if the compressor puts out 99 CFM and you are using 100 CFM, it will never keep up. At best you'll have a 20-30% blast time with a large enough tank while the compressor runs 100% of time.

Much the same way as if you were to sell $1.00 for $0.99 cents, you'll be broke soon. The more you start out with (tank size) the longer it takes. The more volume you sell (cfm usage) the quicker you go broke.
your analogy reenforces what i wrote, what good is a sandblaster if you have to stop to let it catch up? the more air in storage the longer you can go, and in the case of my pot blaster the compressor looses it's power just as i need to refill.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #45
BIG-JIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Blue View Post
To see what you will need, go to this link and click on the various compressors. Yes, the guy is selling his compressors, but there is a lot of truth in what he says.
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/518643.htm

Bill
Yup this is what I have. Eaton V4 this thing rocks! If you what to do some sandblasting this is the thing to do it with. It doesn't even break a sweat. Mine is on an 80 gallon tank with an auto drain. Not the cheapest on the market but it is damn near bullet proof.