Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gauge or wiring issue? Electrical gurus, help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38fordpickup, May 6, 2012.

1. I know that Daytona gauges don't have the best reputation for quality, but the set in my '38 Ford pickup has worked fine for close to 10 years, only thing I don't like about them is the lighting in them is poor for night driving. Anyway, driving my truck some yesterday and noticed all of the gauges (oil, fuel, temperature, and voltmeter) were dead, traced it down to a blown fuse in the gauge feed circuit. Put in a new fuse, which blew the instant I turned the switch on. Wiring harness is an '80s vintage Ron Francis kit that has served well. Is this more likely to be a bad gauge that is blowing fuses or a problem in the harness? If it's a gauge, is there any particular one more likely to be the culprit?

2. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Unhook the gauge power from 1 gauge at a time.
    replace fuse,

3. One little tip if you take a light and connect one wire to each side of the fuse holder the light will burn until you disconnect the wire causing the short, this will save on using a butt load of fuse and you can see the light while working with out having to keep checking the fuses. Good luck with it.

4. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

Stuff like that is fenerally more likely to be that gaige than the wire harness. Do what was said earlier - disconnect all the gauges, put in a new fuse, then connect o e gaige at a time. When the fuse pops, you found your problem.

5. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Dude, that's brilliant. I'll remember this..

6. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Great tip on test light to check for short

7. George/Maine

George/Maine

Make sure you are on + pos post and not grouding out the gauge holder.
    Your volt gauge goes from key on to battery not grd.