Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > Events > H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals > HA/GR

Old 05-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #681
P-Dog
FNG

Default Re: HA/GR in Minnesota

bobw,

Have you tried running the dizzy with no springs or one spring?
I've done both back in the day :~))

P-Dog....
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #682
bobw

Little by little I'm getting the pig back together. Seems like half the bolts don't fit or are missing. Taking much longer than it should. Spent a half hour cleaning a valve cover only to find a lot of grit under the baffles where I can't reach. I'll have to cut them out, clean it and weld 'em back in.

Yes P-Dog, I thought about using one very weak spring. My stock distributor has one normal looking spring and one beast of the spring. The big one is very loose and doesn't come into play until the weights are 3/4 of the way to the stop.

I'm gonna weld the slots up a bit to limit mechanical advance to around 22 crank degrees. The rest will be initial. I under the slanties like around 30 degrees total.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #683
Old28

Ya Bob, I have the same problem, even if I put all the bolts and parts in a labeled container. For some reason they are not all there when the car is going back together.

Your car is starting to look like a race car again. I see you have laid down the radiator this time around, looks cool. I like the copper tube and fittings look, used them on the 29 RPU.

Got my replacement cam & lifters along with new aluminum timing gear together and installed today, maybe have the motor done this week.

"I'd Rather Be Racing"
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #684
injected27
Grenade Inspector

Looking good and I agree the radiator is slick. I was cosidering doing the copper tube and soldered joint. I was also thinking about brazing the breather tubes in valve cover. I have a Smokey Yunick book and he did that. Keep up the good work
Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #685
bobw

Hey, you slant six guys...Anybody know if there is a small diameter oil filter that fits?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #686
injected27
Grenade Inspector

Try this web site to cross reference.http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/. It will give you all the sizes,filter thread and micron value. You don't have to use the Baldwin filter but you can get a number to go by.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #687
injected27
Grenade Inspector

A B34 baldwin filter is the short version.It is 3 7/8 long and is 1 17/32 shorter than the long B2 filter wich is 5 13/32 long I hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #688
Old6rodder
Alliance Member

Shorter, yes. Narrower, I don't know.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #689
injected27
Grenade Inspector

The B243 is 11/16 smaller in diameter and 4 27/32 long verses 5 13/32 long with the same thread 3/4-16. I hope this helps
Old 05-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #690
64 DODGE 440
Alliance Member

If you have a severe clearance problem, can you get a remote adapter? Didn't you already have the slant in the car before? If it fit before, what is causing the problem now? Inquiring minds want to know.

HA/GR build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=189651

Life is good on the lunatic fringe, Tom
Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #691
bobw

Boy, I wish I knew what changed. When I put the intake/header on the engine the top plate which should have been horizontal, side to side, wasn't. It dipped noticeably to the left. This is a different block and head, a cast crank block and a drool tube head, than what was on it when I built the car. Also, I welded some thick metal rings on the intake tubes at the plenum. Hard to believe that caused six 1 1/2" diameter tubes to "relax" from the 45 degree bends that were in them. BTW, the rings were added so I could radius the tubes where they were welded to the plenum. It is documented some pages back.

The easiest way to get the manifold near horizontal is to "lean" the Leaning Tower of Power a bit more. That moves the filter into the frame rail as it was only 1/8" away initially.

I did find a skinny filter. From a "K" car I think.

Injected27, Thanks for your help.

Last edited by bobw; 05-12-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #692
bobw

Default Fun With Carbs

I have found and bought 4 Carter BBD 2 barrels that are usually found on 318 Mopars. Was able to dismantle 3 of them, the fourth has corroded itself into a single lump of pot metal.

The three cleaned up nicely. Problem is; no two sets of metering rods are the same. Nor do I know what jet/metering rod combination is likely to be close to what the engine wants. After much Web searching it appears the only source of metering rods is old carbs. So, the hunt is on.

Each carb will have two different size metering rods. That is the only way I can make the carbs identical.

Initially, I'm shooting for a little less total jet area than a 500 CFM Edelbrock. The big difference is, the BBD's will not be operated progressively whereas the Edelbrock controls two barrels, the secondaries, with the air valve thus providing air/fuel as needed. I'm concerned about an off the line bog caused by a too rich condition. If I try to go progressive, three cylinders will be very lean until the second carb catches up.

Anyway, that's my analysis. Looking for the voice of experience to clear up this dilemma for me.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #693
Old6rodder
Alliance Member

No metering rods, but here're a few other parts.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #694
bobw

Summit had chrome valve covers for sale with free shipping, so I added a little bling. The intake manifold is all sealed up and ready to go. Still wrestling with jetting and metering rods. Kinda fun to analyze these problems on paper and will be able to test the theories at the strip a bit later.

Dick, thanks for the lead.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #695
Old28

Bob, a little chrome looks nice. I see what you ment about tight when it came to the oil filter. Mine is the same way with the 194 motor located in the chassis, when you screw it off I have 1/8" to clear the threaded nipple.

The way you have that top plate made you can build any combination you want, 3-1bl/3-2bl/1-4bl/ 2-4bl. Looks like it would fit a 300" Ford, but that is for later.

"I'd Rather Be Racing"
Old 05-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #696
Old28

Bob, were did you see a picture of dick's car? I have not found any.

"I'd Rather Be Racing"
Old 05-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #697
bobw

Almost done with the carbonrapers. Put the distributor back together utilizing the Mopar Performance advance springs. Boy, are they weak. It should go to full advance on the converter.
Should be ready to add fluids and fire her up by next week.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #698
Old28

Looks nice Bob, remember to have that grandson get a video when it is running.

Maybe a burnout in that long driveway you have.

Hope to try firing mine this week.

"I'd Rather Be Racing"
Old 06-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #699
Old28

Bob, I did not want to walk on Dicks thread so I dropped over to yours.
Thanks for bringing up the two treads on the Antique National, nice pictures of some fine race cars. The " Fourever Four Antique Nationals" has been around for 40+ years and has been a real nice vintage car race.
They have been bouncing around a few different tracks the last few years, I hope this race works out and continues at Irwindale, CA

What's happening with you Bullet?

"I'd Rather Be Racing"
Old 06-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #700
bobw

Tom, You guys are very lucky to have Bakersfield, Eagle Field the Antique Nationals and other races. I know your tracks have been closing and that is an unfortunate problem.

I have been trying to get the car pictured above together for Back to the Fifties, our biggest show, with around 11,000 cars. Looks like I won't make it. Anyway, that has taken away from getting the last few tasks done on the dragster.

And the grass needs mowing every 4 days. One acre, 22" Lawnboy.