Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 05-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
1great40
Grenade Inspector

Default Flowmaster 40 series?

A few seasons back I got a deal on a pair of Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. I put them on my 40 Ford pickup that's running a 4.3 Chevy V-6 The system is 2 inch full dual with a crossover pipe up near the tranny and the mufflers are out back. I have yet to start the truck, possibly wired and running this summer. Everone tells me that this is going to be painfully loud and resonate in the cab. What say you?
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
61falcon

Default Re: Flowmaster 40 series?

i wouldnt say painfully loud and yes they will most likely resonate. i had them on my falcon. the resonating was too much to take on long drives. but all cars and engines are different. you wont know how yours sounds until you drive it.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
slddnmatt
Old School HAMBer

there not bad..mine dump underneath my 4X, and its not too loud.. everybody always thinks it has a built engine in it..i say nope, its all stock with 400k!!

Matt Townsend
Townsends Customs & Hotrods
951-833-1835
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
sdluck

I have them on my El Caminowith a 283 with a balance pipe,the noise or sound my made changed and got better when I got the timing correct for the freeway speeds.Been on there for 23 years
Old 05-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Flingdingo

In a truck the resonating won't be that bad as long as you mount the mufflers as far back (close to the rear axle) as you can. In other words, mount them under the bed, not under the cab.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
tommy
Old School HAMBer

What is too loud to one guy it too quiet to the next guy. Which guy are you? 2" pipe will cause it to be quieter than with 2 1/4" so I'd say since you have them, run them. If it's too loud then you can add a short glass pack as a resonator or change to a "turbo" style muffler that will not have the "flowmaster sound". You either like it or you don't it's a personal taste type thing.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Flipper
Old School HAMBer

Adding tailpipes after the mufflers makes all the difference in the world.

Mine aren't 40 series, I have the WOO sprint car style mufflers on my truck. I started with the mufflers at the end of the pipes with nothing after that...it was very obnoxious. I added a foot or so of 3" pipe after the muffs at the recomendation of a HAMB'er...all the difference in the world! The drone is gone and the mufflers are pretty quiet at highway cruising.

They will still talk to you at wide open throttle though!!!