Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

:D:D:D

On a lighter note.. This was just overheard (yelled) in our shop from the machining area while I was typing:

"Sombody dig Harry Miller's ass up and ask him how the F#!K he did this!"

Sounds like Jim is having a wonderful morning..

Enjoy your day fella's.. Sprint car season starts TOMORROW NIGHT!

J Shaw

3. easter

easter

Many years from now, when you're sitting by the fireplace with your grandson on your knee, this is the type of story you can share with him just before bedtime. Kind of brings a tear to my eye. Beautiful.

4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

The note about Pancho upside down in the Hardee's car reminded me of one night at IRP while Hardee's was sponsoring our ESPN Thursday night series. Pancho was up in the tower with us, along with Ted Dudine of Hardees. It was about three weeks into the series, and Ted said, "This series is the most coverage we've gotten since we sponsored him," pointing at Pancho.

I said, "Yeah, and that time you had to turn the Star sports page upside down to read your logo."

5. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

easter, Your posts are just fine, keep em comming. Denny Z.

6. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Tech question for the injector wizards, A buddy just gave me a Nance dial a jet for my early hilborn injectors. Do these things work? How dependable are they? Need some feed back from someone that has used one before installing. Thanks!

7. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

I don't know the brand, but several of the TQ's we ran with in the 80's used dial-a-jets (may have been Kinsler); the only trouble anyone ever got in was "over-fiddling" with the things during yellows, but the same was true for weight jackers and sway bar adjusters.
    The more gadgets the drivers had to play with on the track, the harder it was for us in the pits to keep good setup books. Made you want to duct-tape their hands to the wheel, or at least tell 'em "Just leave the thing alone & drive".
    If the driver was also the owner, though, usually nothing was said, especially if he was paying for your pit pass...
    I'll bet the same is true today with the adjustable shocks.
    Congrats to all for hitting 900 pages, BTW.

8. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

I dont know if they improved after the 80's, but the very first dial a jets all leaked around the pill. We still used them, just need to compensate over what the same would run like in a regular block. And make sure the leanest setting wouldnt burn it up (ignorant driver protection)
    The later versions were more precise.

9. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Pat, I have a Kinsler in my Buick powered sprint car with hilborn injectors. Works great with no leaks and looks good.
    Steve

10. Dadburgess

Dadburgess

Regarding the Pappy Carter Winchester story - my Dad was there as well and the story was always of Duane ssetting a new track record. If my memory serves me correctly, rookie Teo Fabi was first out after Gordan Smiley perished, and put it in the show.

11. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Josh, this should be an interesting challenge for your group, depending on how you all plan to precede on the recreation since this car - the 1926 Durant blue and white #9 LJ8 and its sister car were built with some very unique features although the essentials were apparently standard 91ci rear drive design found on the other seven rear drive 91s Miller built for the 1926-29 AAA Formula.<O:p</O:p
    Here&#8217;s some info from Mark Dees&#8217; &#8216;Miller Dynasty&#8217; (Chapter 28 The Junior 8 Cars) and Michael Ferner&#8217;s oldracingcars info -Miller 91-1927 cars 2609 and 2610.

Prior to the AAA formula change from 122 to 91.5 c.i. to begin with the 1926 Indy 500 Cliff Durant contracted with Miller to build two cars that would carry the Locomobile Junior 8 name.

Cliff hired young Harlan Fengler to direct the project -then coded &#8216;HF&#8217;. The plan was to build two cars using basic Miller 91 design but adding certain styling and engineering ideas from Fengler. The terms of the deal precluded Miller from duplicating any part of the project without permission from Durant and Fengler.

&#8220;The result was a car generally similar to a standard 91 rear drive but subtly distinctive in nearly every detail&#8221;

The special body and chassis components were drawn up by Leo Goosen and Everett Miller under Fengler&#8217;s direction and the Miller origins of other parts were disguised as much as possible; examples:

&#8216;Squared off&#8217; shapes for the engine&#8217;s cam and gear tower caps

Dimensions were altered-such as shorter springs than found on the standard 91.

Added features such as &#8220;alemite automatic chassis lubricators&#8221;

Dees comments that it&#8217;s doubtful these two cars and their alterations represented any real improvement on the standard 91 rear drive racecar.

12. wilburshawfan

wilburshawfan
    from Indiana

I first heard about the tragic Black Sunday in an article by Brock Yates in the January 1965 Car and Driver. A good article about a sad day in AAA racing. No one has mentioned that Walt Brown was fatally injured in a AAA Eastern division sprint car race ,the same day at Williams Grove.

13. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Walt Brown's crash was sort of a lazy rollover in turn 2. Just lazy enough to turn over right on top of him.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  14. racer5c

racer5c

Jay,
    Since Smiley died in 1982, and Fabi didn't run Indy till 83 I'm sticking with my memory

15. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Thanks for the info on the dial a jet

16. Dick L

Dick L

I never could afford real ones, so I built some.

Attached Files:

hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  17. Dick L

Dick L

P.S. Can models be pre 1969? I have a lot to share if anyone is interested.

18. KK500

KK500

Attached Files:

• 279.jpg
      279.jpg
      File size:
      34.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  19. Cool models.......more please.......

20. Bob Coutts

Bob Coutts

Throw it in the scrap bucket. It willend up being more trouble than it is worth. Unless the driver is real sharp and alert that is a damn good way to burn a piston.

21. baldtireman

baldtireman

In case somebody needs parts,a person around the Medina, Ohio area has a lot of nice looking CAE parts for sale on " Racing Junk". My feeble memory says that somebody here was looking a while back! John S.:confused:

22. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Got rained out today at Madera, we were on the same program as the USAC sprint cars. Put my Rasmussen, Watson style bodied sprint roadster for sale on eBay last night, have a look, listing number is 400287147866.

Attached Files:

23. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

The Hoffman car was first out after Smiley, I think Sneva was driving but not positive. When they opened the track back up my dad had to go back and tell the driver it was time to go, he said it was a bit surreal.

24. Dick L

Dick L

A few more, hope you enjoy.

Attached Files:

hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  25. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

For JOSH, well 900 pages and 18000 posts!!
    Certainly a milestone in anyones language.
    Thanks and congratulations from all Down Under who follow every post with baited breath.
    Looking forward the rest of the season ,
    Cheers Greg

26. racer5c

racer5c

I promise you Pancho was the first out to qualify after Smiley's death, Just to confirm my memory I asked Pancho's team manager at the time here is the reply

"After the crash the track superintendent ( cagle I think) gathered Pancho and I and Don Whittington up to go to the north short shute and look at the gouge in the track. It was determined that it was off the wall enough that it was not in the groove. Don Whittington volunteered to take his car out and run a few laps. He did and the gouge was out of the way while we stood down there and watched.

The track went back to qualifying and we went out and qualified."

27. bunker hill bullet

bunker hill bullet
    from indiana

Somewhat OT. I remember being a 5th or 6th grader and dad taking me out of school to go to CARB day, and all the fans chanting...Teo..Teaaaooo!!! Ah good times!

28. A little OT but what the ----, Went to North Vernon last night to see the first midwest sprint car race of the year......410 NON winged sprints (as it should be) 4 heats, 2 B mains and a 40 lap feature......One went through the fence into the pits, got out waved to the crowd, then dragged it back to the pits to repair it. Lots of good ole Midwest dirt sprint car racing. Sometimes they bumped into each other....NO!, not sprint cars....LOL Colder than a witchs ---, but it was the first of the season and the main grandstands were packed as was the pit grandstand.....Was allowed to hang with the Shaw family (all three, Gage was there) as well as the regular lot of the Shaw Brigade.... Exhaust fumes, tire smoke, dirt clods and lots of BS....it was a good night!
    That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! vvrroooommm :D
    HG :cool:

29. I crew on a "Race Saver" 305 Winged sprint. We went out Friday night for our second after rain-outs. Third in the heat, third in the feature. It was a beautiful night, little country track close to Ft.Worth (Boyd). Just don't get any better, methanol in the air, the smell of clutch dust from the modifieds, kids runnin' around in the pits. Ahhhhhh.....

30. rooman

rooman

Gene,
    I saw you walk by (we were in the first set of bleachers to the left of the "tower" and yelled at you but like me you obviously have RCD (race car deafness). After that dropped call while you were on your way there I lost all phone service so I could not call you back.

Roo