Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 12-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #41
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

Default Re: 1960's Pontiac OHC 6???

one of my buddies had a Four barrel version with a four speed in his 48 Chev Pickup. That thing went like stink but he finally blew it up and put a 427 in the truck.

A lot of the ones I saw when I worked at two different Pontiac dealers in the 70's lost number five piston due to overheating.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #42
49F1Jeff
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lango View Post
I was in High School with a guy who had one of these engines in a Sprint (LeMans?). It was a 4 speed car and he used to bet any takers that he had a 6 cyl that could get rubber in all 4 gears. He was right and he cleaned up on a regular basis at the races before school.
Is that with 5.13 gears or in the rain?

-
Jeff
Micah 6:8
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 AM   #43
LowKat
Old School HAMBer

In the mid 1970's I bought a low mile rusty 69 Lemans Custom S Sprint with the 4BBL OHC6 and T350. Put the entire drivetrain in a 64 El Camino, It looked factory installed. I used the interior too, buckets, carpet, console, seat belts. Even used the arm rests and door panels after trimming off the tops. I added Pontiac Rally II wheels and a GTO hood tach.

Chevy guys would scratch their heads when looking at that car.

I'd always say "I dunno, I think it's Canadian or something"

It was a good running engine and snorted for a 6cyl.
Sold it after a couple years.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-21-2011, 03:20 AM   #44
sewman
Grenade Inspector

I bough a 67 Lemans that had the 230 cu.in. 1-bbl 3 on the tree,it used oil & one day on the way to work going down a hill it started slowing down,I shut off & it stopped real quick,I knew what it was,checked the poil & yes,none showed on the stick.So I went & bought a couple of quarts,put them in & went to start it & it was so tight it wouldn't crank fast enough to start,finally someone stopped & we pull started it man it smoked really bad.
So one the way home I stopped @ a gas station got a gallon of used oil dumped in it for the 15mi trip home & it smoked so bad I couldn't see thwe cop car trying to stop me to tell me my car was smoking (I told him I noticed & was just trying to get home)
Found a '68 250 1-bbl put in it & that ran like stink,used to beat a bro in-laws new 302 Torino (he was pi$$ed)along w/alot of other cars.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #45
HEATHEN
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod View Post
So when the belt breaks do various valves meet their death in the tops of pistons with all the destruction that implies?
Or is it a non-interference engine like many modern cars that don't break every living thing when the belt pops?
I never heard of anyone losing valves due to timing belt failure on OHC sixes.....and where did you get the idea that many modern cars have noninterference engines? A lot of the ones I come in contact with are the opposite.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #46
Stanislao
Grenade Inspector

Are aftermarket camshafts available for these things? Supposedly a 300 hp version with three Webber two barrel side draft was made for race homologation, but abandoned when GM banned multi carb set-ups. Does anyone know if that thing actually had 300 hp? If so, was that on 100 octane or something more readily available?

Some modern engines are non-interference (also known was “freewheeling”) others are not. With emissions and fuel economy requirements it is necessary to use a carefully shaped piston, increasingly compression ratios above 11-1, sometimes as high as 14-1, are used. Almost all new engines have four valves per cylinder. All this makes it rather difficult to have a non-interference cam profile while still maintaining decent lift.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #47
HEATHEN
Old School HAMBer

10-15 years ago, some guy cast up a run of OHC 6 camshafts, but I think that he sold them all and that was that.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:40 AM   #48
gtowagon

cams are available both stock and HP versions, most of the hp versions are made on reground cores this reduces the base circle of the cam which requires milling the cam tower or shimming the lash adjusters and using longer valves to compensate for the reduced base circle
Old 12-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #49
Jimv
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac Slim View Post
I had a new 67 with the Sprint package.. I put 4:56s /cheater slicks on and raced the snot out of that car with no issues, shifted at 6300...
Had more fun with that car... wish I had it today
Whats were your times & MPH with this?
JimV
Old 12-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #50
36cammer
FNG

Going out on a limb here, seems with scrap prices so high around here, lots of the desirable parts for these are now next to impossible to find. I've decided to fab up my own intake and exhaust system for mine as I can't find any speed equipment around my neck of the woods. Still, there's something about these mills that just adds a cool factor to your build !!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #51
BHfanGB
Grenade Inspector

I was just looking at a Kanter Auto Parts catalog and the list "New Production" cams specifically for the OHC 6 Pontiac motor with the 4 barrel, also known as the Sprint 6. There is nothing about having to turn in a core, so it looks like those of us that want to add a little punch to their base-model OHC 6 motors can now do it a little easier. Now, if someone would just do headers and intakes for them again!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #52
mike in tucson
Grenade Inspector

Bought a brand new 66 Tempest Sprint for $2400. It had a 4 speed, posi, and an AM radio....bottom of the line 2 dr post body. It held the AHRA J/S F6 record at something like 85 mph as I remember.

Engine had NO cam bearings, the cam tower was align bored and the cam rode in the aluminum housing. The "lifters" were actually made to pump up to keep the followers against the cam. Engine ran really well at high RPM, the Saginaw has a 3.11 first gear and my car would leave two black tire marks from a standing start thru second gear using old bald tires (hard rubber). Car would out run a typical 283 Chevelle 4bbl.

The engine had an accessory drive on the side of the block which was belt driven by the timing belt. The accessory drive drove the distributor AND the oil pump. If you decked the block or milled the head (I had a milled head), the timing changed because of the belt....and the timing marks didnt align anymore.

The engine revved to well over 6 grand....like a 2 stroke bike, it liked being "on the pipe" and ran well at higher revs.

Mine never used any oil.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #53
kanuck442

I have a 1967 Firebird Sprint with just under 60,000 original miles on it.
230CI with 4 speed, 4barrel, split manifold dual exhaust, 3.55 posi, dual traction bars, hood tach, deluxe interior and convertible to boot. :-)
I am the third owner and have had it about 7 years. It has been a fun car with great torque, but not a speed demon by any means.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Autos2008041.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1594365
Old 03-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #54
Rusty O'Toole
Old School HAMBer

Pontiac was going all out for the performance image at the time. They wanted to give people something the others didn't have, even in the six cylinder bracket. The idea was the person who could only afford a six cylinder car could still be a little proud of his car.

In practice it was an excellent engine. Better performance than the typical six and better mileage too. Basically, small V8 performance and six cylinder economy in a light car like a Tempest. Most people who bought them were happy about it.

Their downfall was that not many people cared about performance six cylinders back then. Performance enthusiasts bought V8s. Thrifty six cylinder buyers were into economy and nothing else, they wanted the cheapest engine and the OHC wasn't it. So it go replaced by a Chev pushrod six.

The design was well thought out with some ingenious features. If it had stayed in production until the oil crisis hit it might have stayed around through the seventies. But in the late sixties the demand was not there.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #55
57ford/60thunderbird
Old School HAMBer

ive never owned one but i have an original 1966 gm engineering manual on the ovh6 pontiac for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested

http://keithsonlinecruisein.shutterfly.com/#