Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. jalopy45

jalopy45

I haven't seen any mention of Harold Hardesty from Ashland, he had quite a career in stock racing in the 50's and 60's.

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I talked to Rolla yesterday, If you have not met Rolla, you are missing out. He is 93 and sharp as a tack! He calls me the second best Track Roadster builder around, next to him of course. We have had a lot fun working together this last ten years. I built one for him about 5 years ago, he put one of his son's "horsecock", stock car SBC engine in it. I told him that is what every 88 year old guy needs, 600HP. I would put his driver list up against anyone, it is a list of the Greatest drivers, including the HAMB's own Denny Zimmerman.

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Also from that area, was Don Harper, who's sister, is Valerie Harper from the TV show "Rhoda". They used to advertise come watch Hershel McGriff take on Rhoda's little brother.

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

With a 60 Chevy you must remember the 60's of Jim Fry "Big Red" and my old pal Bill Sitton "Fawcet Tavern". Both hard runners, Jim set MPH record at 102.

5. couverkid

couverkid

Thanks Marty for replying to this thread. I am learning alot of interesting information. I have a original fremont drag strip jacket for a young kid that says Bob Haines on it, never knew he was a driver of the northwind. Very cool. My son has worn that jacket many times,neat that there is a NW connection.

6. rick finch

rick finch

Couple of Ernie Hall pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Rolla's Last Roadster

Attached Files:

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That is Rolla in the red jacket, me in the car and Don Shervey who owns and drives Rolla's #16 1965 Indy car, with the 4 cam Ford. The last Indy car Len Sutton drove. Rolla and his son Kurt finished it up, exhaust, lights, etc.

9. silversink

silversink

Is this the same Vollstedt that had a shop On Barber Blvd and Capital HWy in Portland. If it is I Had the pleasure of visiting his shop and seeing the miracles he performed with those Indy motors. Some of those eng.s come back to him in pretty sad shape. The guy was always willing to show you around and explain things in a way a backyard hotrodder could understand.
    I had a 34 ford coupe that steered like crap and he set me in the right direction to making it a pleasure to drive, always was grateful for his help.

10. Along with Art Pollard and Ernie Koch there was Jim Roberts, 1968 CAMRA champ.

Attached Files:

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That is him!

12. rick finch

rick finch

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Wasn't Palmer Crowell CAMRA champ in 69 or 70 .

14. Should have mentioned Palmer Crowell. He was 1971 CAMRA champ as well as 1973 Washington Midget Racing Association champ. From Hillsboro, OR.

15. Yes I do From the Madras strip as I remember. Was also a met blue 60 El Camino ran out of Exhaust Specialties in Portland and Rapid Richard Farakawa's 59 Imp vert. I was 13.9s and 102s. Had the record at most of the OR strips at one time or another.

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That 60 ElCamino was Nick Wheling, he worked for Dick Martin forever. Nick went on to race, the old Jack Frost, Bill Remson corvette. He was a "hot shoe" in AA/D beating the likes of Ernie Hall in the later 60's.

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Van's Drive In was on 153rd and Sandy. Haven't been out that way in awhile, but it might actually still be there?
    edit: Yep, checked Google earth, and it's still there!

18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

How about Dick Martin, he started and owned Exhaust Specialties. He had one of the hottest track roadsters in the 40's with "bare foot Bob" Gregg driving. He drag raced a 36 Ford coupe with a Nailhead. He blew the Dyna-Flo up at I think Shelton Wa. It took off a lower leg. It did not slow him down, he was a master snow skier. His license plates said "1 SKI"

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  19. He was tough to beat. I never beat him more than a fender length if that. Same with Farakawa. My Friends and Neighbors and the President thought I would make a better Soldier that a Drag Racer and sent me a "Special Invitation" to join the Army in early 63. The rest is history, sold the 409 and the 348 cars. Couldnt make payments on $63 a month.

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I wonder if Rick could come up with a picture of Ron Salsbury's "Rumbler" AA/F dragster, out of Corvallis? His cars were beautiful and fast!

21. Here's a pic of Gary Coe's C/A Mustang that replaced his 57 Ford. Wonder what became of the '57.

[​IMG]

Kan Kustom likes this.
  22. Here's the Northwind at Famosa.

[​IMG]

Kan Kustom and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  23. Babyearl

Babyearl

Marty,
    Dick Martin did loose his leg at Shelton,, It so happened that John Smeds and I were there that day. Also I believe Tom Medley was there too. Smeds and I were at Shelton every time they were open. Medley was there several times in a Olds powered 50 Ford convert,, Gas class. Also the "Cogs" out of Seattle with a full bodied dragster. I still have a 1958 Drag Schedule from Shelton. Babyearl

24. I used to hang out at his shop off capitol hwy and Barbur Blvd under a body shop when I was in high school (jackson 70-74) learned alot just watching what was going on and from time to time asking questions,my friend Alan Kilser was his clean up kid........neither of us thought about being around a legend just a "old"guy that knew everything.....and ended up with goodyear blue streaks for our wide cragars.......

25. rick finch

rick finch

22 yr.old Herschel McGriff after winning the first La Carrera Panamericana in 1950....

[​IMG]

The replica of his 1950 Olds 88 he drove for the win....

[​IMG]

26. miraclepieco

miraclepieco
    BANNED

That's almost exactly how I remember it looking at the Eugene Rod and Custom car show at the Lane County Fairgrounds circa the mid-60's. It was the most memorable car of the show.

27. rick finch

rick finch

Sorry Marty, can't find any....

28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I still wonder why, when they painted the body that candy tangerine, with ghost flames, why they didn't paint the grille shell. I sure liked the original orange better. That is the way we watched it run. A few years ago at a Sprint Car race at Banks. In the pit grandstand I met the man who took the Crate on tour for Tindle. It was Mac Bowman, he built an orange 32 5w coupe altered in the early 60's. It had the rear wheels moved forward about 18", it had a blown gas 409 in it. He was a good friend of Chuck Blanchard and the Svela and sons. Maybe I should give Terry Tindle (Bob's brother) a call and learn more about that car, besides we haven't talked for a while.

29. rick finch

rick finch

30. WCD

WCD

I was about to request a shot of this very car. And viola, the power of the HAMB comes through. I saw it at Pomona both on Saturday for class runoffs and then the following day during eliminations. I dont recall if the car won as Kenny Laughten had his 57 T Bird running below the record that afternoon. Still I liked the car, and always wonderd if it was a former flopper or piecemealed from different cars.