Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 08-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #41
havi

Default Re: Denman tires out of buisness ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tondave View Post
"my dog don't like that" - Barry Van Trojen

gotta love the Denman Ground Hawgs !! -

I've had my ground hawg II's (36x14.5x15R) since 1991 on my '78 F150. They just started to crack this year....perhaps because it's been so dang hot this Summer.

Anywho, for those that say buy American, remember one thing. Not only do you buy American, you put Americans to work, and pay them salaries so that they can go spend American, which in turn provides another American some salary, and the cycle continues. Take away the Buy American, it does more than just one thing. I'll get off my soapbox now. Bummer to hear it, though.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #42
patrick66
Old School HAMBer

Location: Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian26 View Post
Yes, and I'll be building BFG's tomorrow night while Michelins will be built on the machine next to me. We make the tire, from the compound to the finished product.
Exactly what I was saying - look at the plants EVERYWHERE that produce multiple brands of tires in the same plant. Ardmore, OK was producing Michelin, BFG, and a couple of other brands in the single plant.

The tire discussion is really a red herring, IMO.
Screw with your neighbors...name your Wi-Fi network "NSA Surveillance Van #6"...
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #43
carcrazyjohn
Alliance Member

Since this is still up,Start manufacturing nicer tires for 17 inch rims ,Us 34 guys dont have a big selection.......
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #44
VONRUBEN65

That sucks
Old 11-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #45
Bigcheese327
Alliance Member

Any insider updates on whether Titan intends to reintroduce the Denman product line or any part of it? I see nothing on Titan’s website(s).

-Dave
Old 11-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #46
exwestracer
Old School HAMBer

I had a pair of new Denman branded tires put on my enclosed trailer this past summer. They both blew the treads off in less than 400 miles. Found out they were made in effin INDIA...
Old 11-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #47
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwestracer View Post
I had a pair of new Denman branded tires put on my enclosed trailer this past summer. They both blew the treads off in less than 400 miles. Found out they were made in effin INDIA...

I got new bias mud and snows for my Willys last december. Bought them at a farm coop in nebraska. The fella there told me that almost all bias ply tires are made in india any more. I assume that the exception would be companies like Coker, I don't think that they are off shore yet.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps

Last edited by porknbeaner; 11-16-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #48
Bigcheese327
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeaner View Post
I got new bias mud and snows for my Willys last december. Bought that at a farm coop in nebraska. The fella there told me that almost all bias ply tires are made in india any more. I assume that the exception would be companies like Coker, I don't think that they are off shore yet.
That's shouldn't surprise you. They still make '50s Jeeps and motorcycles there. Cokers, I think, are made largely in Mexico and Vietnam (correct me if I'm wrong). But since Coker was the stalking horse bid in the bankruptcy sale, I think Denman collector-car tires must have been made in Ohio.

The winning bidder, Titan, is largely domestic as well.

-Dave
Old 11-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #49
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcheese327 View Post
That's shouldn't surprise you. They still make '50s Jeeps and motorcycles there. Cokers, I think, are made largely in Mexico and Vietnam (correct me if I'm wrong). But since Coker was the stalking horse bid in the bankruptcy sale, I think Denman collector-car tires must have been made in Ohio.

The winning bidder, Titan, is largely domestic as well.

-Dave

So aside from what is made in Mexico when you buy Coker you are not buying American? I was of the impression that Coker was American made as in the USA. Learn something new every day.

When I was still in Mexico there was a big tire plant that made Uniroyal and Dayton tires up near Puebla. Both were real popular tires down there.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps
Old 11-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #50
hombres ruin
Old School HAMBer

I have had denmans on my shoebox for years, they have served me well. They have a large whitewall width which I like. I got mine from Lucas classic tire in long beach, they may still have more left
Old 11-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #51
gas pumper
Old School HAMBer

I read about "Specialty Tire" , they are located in PA and they are the manufacturer of most of the bias ply tires made in the US today. The article about them indicated that they produced tires for Coker.

CREW: 608 AA/GL
Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #52
Bigcheese327
Alliance Member

Well, here is Specialty Tire’s website, and here is what seems to be the closest thing to a HAMB-friendly bias ply they sell (although no mention of where). But if they are Coker’s supplier, they wouldn’t be able to sell the repop tires on their own anyway.

Edit: I was wrong. Their Jeep Tires come in some HAMB-friendly sizes and designs. Although Light Truck tires on something like a roadster might not ride very well.

-Dave
Old 11-16-2011, 11:47 PM   #53
33mopower
Grenade Inspector

The 7.50 17 Denman WW are by far the best tires I have ever used. The Denman's were produced with the same molds they used in the 30's and were one of the few tires that actually fit in the metal tire covers. There are a few vendors that still have them in stock. Now if the would just produce the Excelsior radial's in a WW.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #54
magoozi

I have a pair of their ribbed wide white whitewalls, this sucks, I have always liked their big white walls, I wonder if this will affect lucas tires in long beach, also they were always more reasonable than firestone, most tires are made in New Zealand, and the new zealand dollar has almost doubled in value, thats why tires have gone up alot lately.