Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #21
Biothree

Default Re: S10 - 50 ford sedan Frame swap project

I am using the S10 dual leaf spring rear end on my 1946 Ford 2 door sedan. I am clipping the S10 front end onto the 1946 frame. You are correct, you get a lot of advice from those who have never grafted a frame. Some recommended that I stay with the original 46 dropped axle (1940's technology). Others recommend an aftermarket Mustang II (1970's technology). I choose the S10 (1990's technology) which is cheap, cheap compared to the other choices and it wasn't my first rodeo.
The picture is of the S10 rolling frame and the '46 frame before I started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	46 Frame & S10 Frame.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1432413  
Old 09-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #22
drptop70ss

S10 frame worked for me and my Buick, but it was as much work or more than just clipping it. My trunk and floors were gone so I had to make them anyway, plus widen the rear wheel tubs, make the body and engine mounts, etc.. if you have solid floors and trunk I would clip it.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #23
xxzzy999
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
This isn't traditional hotrodding.

It's Kit Car 101.
Geee Scotty... (Mr Expert)... I see your "My Truck" thread build has been going for ever... have you given up?

Maybe you should have gone with a "kit car"... much easier and you could have been finished by now...
Old 09-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #24
spiderdeville

would a 58 chevy x frame install/swap not be O/T ?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #25
rustynewyorker
Old School HAMBer

Some dingbat posts in this forum. S10 and G-body are related as far as front suspension goes, and guys have been V8-ing S10s for over 20 years and I've never heard of an issue.

But the G-body and other front ends are too goddamn wide for a '50 Ford or Chevy, unless you want either the tires to rub every time you turn a corner, or it to look like a 4x4 truck with the tires sticking out.

Hard to believe, though, too that someone would make the decision to go with an S10 frame and not even know what their own car's wheelbase is to know how to mod the S10 so it would fit right.

But Chevy especially and Ford both they make plenty of kits and there are ways to do it without hacking up the original frame. If the frame is rotted out, okay that's another story. Something like a Buick where you have to re-engineer the rear suspension to go open drive, is also somewhat understandable. Just be aware sometimes it's worth the money to pay for someone else to do the fab and engineering for you, than to spend weeks doing three times as much fab and engineering yourself.

I have old cars for sale. PM me or check the classified.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #26
rusty1
Old School HAMBer

qoute: "Hard to believe, though, too that someone would make the decision to go with an S10 frame and not even know what their own car's wheelbase is to know how to mod the S10 so it would fit right."

...my thots exactly!...can't believe everyone thinks the S-10 chassis is the magic frame swap.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #27
badshifter
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxzzy999 View Post

p.s you tend to get a lot of misinformation from folks who have never done this before.
Done what? Posted stuff that has nothing to do with the HAMB (you know, traditional hot rods)?
Or never done an S10 or G body frame/clip swap?
Just curious.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #28
rustyfords
BANNED

If you're looking to create a commuter, the little 4.3L sixes that came in the S-10s are great little engines and there's about a zillion of them to pick from.

I bought one new in 94 and put 385,000 miles on it before I sold it. The damn EGR valve kept gumming up one me starting at around 200K, and I had to change the fuel injection spider a few times, but other than that the thing just couldn't be killed.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #29
xxzzy999
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshifter View Post
Done what? Posted stuff that has nothing to do with the HAMB (you know, traditional hot rods)?
Or never done an S10 or G body frame/clip swap?
Just curious.

If you're worried that this thread isn't about traditional hot rods, why don't you have Ryan shut it down?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #30
badshifter
Alliance Member

Quote:
If you're worried that this thread isn't about traditional hot rods, why don't you have Ryan shut it down?
A) I'm not worried about anything.
B) I'm a member just like you and have no power over Ryan or what he does or does not do.
C) I've done a G body clip on a shoebox and know first hand they are too wide.
D) I asked a simple question that you side stepped.
E) That's about it on the S10 stuff for me.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #31
Zapato

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox50 View Post
I used a s10 clip on mine it worked out great.
What I'd like to see is a good step by step Frame clip thread. Has anyone documented one?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:48 AM   #32
scottybaccus
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Geee Scotty... (Mr Expert)... I see your "My Truck" thread build has been going for ever... have you given up?

Maybe you should have gone with a "kit car"... much easier and you could have been finished by now...
I never give up. I have a demanding job that pays for all my toys and has me on airplanes way too much. And just in case you aren't familiar, I am Mr. Expert. I've spent twelve plus years doing custom chassis and suspension work for paying customers that are very happy. My shit goes unfinished while theirs turn out great. I have more cars on the road right now than you are likely to ever own, including two that made feature articles in quality publications. Just so we are clear, I have done a couple of real life kit cars and they are no easier than traditional builds, they just come out of a catalog or rebody something to look like something it isn't, kinda like an S10 frame under a shoebox Ford.

You wanna piss in someone's Post Toasties, pick another guy, FNG. I stand by my remark. Swapping a late model chassis under anything isn't traditional rodding and the HAMB is about Traditional Rodding. That means using parts and materials that were available prior to the dreadful turn in the '70s. I like high tech stuff and even mix it into my personal projects, but I don't pretend that a frame swap is traditional. To top it off, I absolutely hate seeing another nice survivor get butchered in a half assed attempt to put a car on the road on the cheap, especially when it will be worth half what it started at when it's done. I am more than happy to coach, teach, assist, whatever, anyone that wants to come and learn a better way, but I will go out of my way to discourage crap that isn't consistent with the charter of this forum.

Clearly, by many of the other posts on this thread, I am not alone. Now, How may I help you?

Tejas Malcontents, Hutto

Old 09-20-2011, 02:53 AM   #33
scottybaccus
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapato View Post
What I'd like to see is a good step by step Frame clip thread. Has anyone documented one?
Yes. Lux Blue did one putting a Camaro Clip in a Chevy truck a couple of years ago. It's a very popular thread.

Not a fan, but he did a good job.

And Mr. xxzzy999, I know Lux personally and he does great work. You wanna clip a car, you better take notes from him.

Tejas Malcontents, Hutto

Old 09-20-2011, 04:00 AM   #34
rustynewyorker
Old School HAMBer

I don't care for these frame swaps either, 99 times out of 100 it's a lazy solution that creates more work than it's worth, but if a 32 Ford frame under a Model A or T then upgraded to '40 or newer brakes is okay, just what's the difference in an S10 or Caprice or whatever under a '50s car? The goal is the same, to handle better and stop better using some newer parts....

I have old cars for sale. PM me or check the classified.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #35
scottybaccus
Old School HAMBer

I've seen a caprice frame used with great success, but to call it a swap would be misleading. It was actually a case of integrating the caprice suspension into a shoebox chassis.
There are two points for me. Primarily, it's out of place on a forum that is dedicated to traditional means. The Duece rails under a Model A fits, S10 frames don't. I'm a long time member and have watched the line move over time. I recall it was grouchy old timers that once held the line, so I am stepping up for my turn, rather than letting the line continue to slide. Don't like that? Tell the boss.
The second point for me is the destruction of the designs. I don't see the value in channelling any body you like ove a rolling chassis. There's rarely consideration for suspension geometry with a clip, so that's even worse. Why take a chassis that works as well as a shoebox ford and throw it out to hack up the floors and ruin the value of the car. Unless it's executed very, very well, no frame swap will ever make a more desireable vehicle. So your floors were rotted out? Look in the tech section to see some very nice and simple ways to put them back. Want it lower? We got that, too. Wanna drive a caprice that looks like a shoebox Ford? Try someplace else. (I've never heard anyone defend the caprice or S10 chassis as their ultimate desire, just a compromised means to an end. F' that. Dig in and build your dream car.)

Tejas Malcontents, Hutto

Old 09-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #36
xxzzy999
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
I never give up. I have a demanding job that pays for all my toys and has me on airplanes way too much. And just in case you aren't familiar, I am Mr. Expert. I've spent twelve plus years doing custom chassis and suspension work for paying customers that are very happy. My shit goes unfinished while theirs turn out great. I have more cars on the road right now than you are likely to ever own, including two that made feature articles in quality publications. Just so we are clear, I have done a couple of real life kit cars and they are no easier than traditional builds, they just come out of a catalog or rebody something to look like something it isn't, kinda like an S10 frame under a shoebox Ford.

You wanna piss in someone's Post Toasties, pick another guy, FNG. I stand by my remark. Swapping a late model chassis under anything isn't traditional rodding and the HAMB is about Traditional Rodding. That means using parts and materials that were available prior to the dreadful turn in the '70s. I like high tech stuff and even mix it into my personal projects, but I don't pretend that a frame swap is traditional. To top it off, I absolutely hate seeing another nice survivor get butchered in a half assed attempt to put a car on the road on the cheap, especially when it will be worth half what it started at when it's done. I am more than happy to coach, teach, assist, whatever, anyone that wants to come and learn a better way, but I will go out of my way to discourage crap that isn't consistent with the charter of this forum.

Clearly, by many of the other posts on this thread, I am not alone. Now, How may I help you?

Mr. Expert,

Hmmmm... thanks for the offer, let's see... maybe you could help me design a brake pedal using your "traditional" cad/cam computer stuff.... naw, on second thought, I'll just bend a coat hanger till I get that perfect angle, then use it as a pattern to make a pedal...

WOW Scotty... Pull those panties out of your crack... that was sure a lot of emotionally charged yapping in your reply. I'm sorry ok... I didn't realize it was "that time of the month" again.

Regards,

X
Old 09-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #37
the-rodster
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapato View Post
Yes.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...highlight=clip
Old 09-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #38
Atwater Mike
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Mr. Expert,

Hmmmm... thanks for the offer, let's see... maybe you could help me design a brake pedal using your "traditional" cad/cam computer stuff.... naw, on second thought, I'll just bend a coat hanger till I get that perfect angle, then use it as a pattern to make a pedal...

WOW Scotty... Pull those panties out of your crack... that was sure a lot of emotionally charged yapping in your reply. I'm sorry ok... I didn't realize it was "that time of the month" again.

Regards,

X
Hmmm, 'underwater beer drinker'. Hardly credentials for attacking someone of established prowess in a specialized genre...
Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #39
53sled
Old School HAMBer

You can always tell the guys who won't be around in a year.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #40
xxzzy999
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Mike View Post
Hmmm, 'underwater beer drinker'. Hardly credentials for attacking someone of established prowess in a specialized genre...

Mike,

Maybe you haven't heard, but "Underwater Beer Drinker" is a new type of job under Obama's "Jobs Program".

I hope to someday become an "established prowess in this specialized genre" (that's real cute... I like that). God knows, I spent a lot of time in small Texas bars practicing for this new profession... or genre or whatever it is.

Regards,
X