Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Official Tube Bending Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Jan 12, 2009.

1. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

I'd measure what you have now (the flat sided tube) to determine how flat it really is, and then use that dimension as the basis for your ellipse die.

Start by pinching it half as much as it flattened on each side (half on top, half on the bottom) and see what happens.

You will then have a baseline to adjust from.

If you don't have any data to work from, you're into cut-n-try territory.

Take your best guess to start, and go from there.

2. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

:cool: thanks!

3. jeroentje

jeroentje

Most of the time that's the standard, Trial & error :D.

Im thinking of making a sort of 2 part die so i can adjust it, that saves me a lot of time in the "testing fase".

Im dubbing about how to shape it....i can shape it like the pointiest side of an egg (don't now how, except with an cnc mill) or just make it like an oval which is much easier to shape for me.

i gues if the tube is formed in an oval shape it ok no matter how.

First i have to finish a couple off other project's.
    My bike keeps falling, so....(also when im not on it by the way)

Thanks for the response

greets jeroen

Attached Files:

4. jeroentje

jeroentje

For some one who want to learn more about tube bending and mandrel building

http://www.bendtooling.com/

A lot of info and pic's

bye

5. jeroentje

jeroentje

6. jeroentje

jeroentje

Today i saw an episode of "how it's made" on discovery channel in holland.
    1 item was about making a trombone or trompet and bending the ultra thin pipe, what they did was filling it with soap water and putting it in the freezer (and then bend it in a normal bender).
    Some people talk about filling with lead, sand, powder etc but never something like this....

Any body heard from this methode or tryed this with thin wall pipe?

greets

7. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I have heard of Cero bend. It's a low melt alloy.

8. I was wondering how effective the 12 ton harbor freight hydraulic bender is with exhaust tubing????? I just bought it tonight and I haven't got to play with it yet. Any tips or tricks so I don't ruin too much of my tubing??? I'm gonna be making some slight bends and a few "L" shaped bends for my 50 dodge.

9. badshifter

badshifter

I predict other than the slightest of bends, you are going to scrap all of your exhaust tubing. It's a pretty crude pipe bender, pipe having a much heavier wall than exhaust tubing. It works, to a degree on small diameter tubing, but from 1 1/2" and up 16 gauge it collapses the tube. Did I mention my neighbor went through all this?

10. Well shit. Not what I wanted to hear.... I'll try to take it easy and see what happens. If it doesn't work worth a damn I'll return the p.o.s. And let you guys know of course.

11. seventeenseconds

seventeenseconds

This is an awesome thread!

I'm getting ready to start a project that's going to require a couple of 3" radius bends on 1"x2"x.049" rectangular tubing. Is there any hope to bend this without a mandrel? I'm looking to make a DIY bender for this, I have access to a Hossfeld and I'm considering making a set of dies for it. I'm a total noob to rectangular tubing bending, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

12. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I would be happy to help. ;)

13. seventeenseconds

seventeenseconds

Do you think that for tubing that thin I'll need a mandrel?

14. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Totally a mandrel application. That will pucker like a pop can.

15. midwestmetalworks

midwestmetalworks

I just bought a used Hossfeld #2 bender with the original hydraulic set up and the special "L" shaped attachment for doing up to 180 degree bends. The problem is I don't have any of the hydraulics. What is the simplest and most cost effective way to adding hydraulic power? I already tried the Harbor Freight air over hydraulic cylinder and it puked fluid all over my shop floor. Also, I would like the cylinder to retract (double acting or spring return ram?).

16. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Hi I just purchased a jd model 3 tube bender I am making my own stand for it most of the stands I see look realitivly short for a comfortable pull. What height are you guys at on the handle for ease and usability.:) Thanks Andy

17. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Copperhead fab has adapters I think

18. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer

19. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Alright, Ill throw a curveball. The material is T-110 Copper tubing 1.13" x 1.13" square x .63" round ID tubing. It comes in 40' lengths from Finland.

I anneal the tubing with a natural gas torch as its pulled around a buck. Basically there is a 22" diameter drum supported horizontally by two a-frames bolted to the floor. (I wish I had a picture of the fixture) On the right side of the a-frame is a pulley, attatched to the pulley is a cable to an electric hoist.
    As I anneal the tubing i bump UP on the crane to wrap the tube around the drum about 40 degrees at a time. 160' of tube and hours of silver soldering later I have super secret cooling coils. You dont see these everyday.

[​IMG]

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/00Design/P5190111.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/00Design/P5190103.jpg

20. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Wow :cool:

21. JustBryan

JustBryan
    from NE Ohio

22. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

So, are they so super secret you can't divulge?...............Submarine parts?:eek:

23. Square tube with a round ID... You're right, you don't see that every day. Neat stuff!

24. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Yes super secret.

25. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Any other questions on tube bedning or chassis fabrication?

26. You still looking for pictures of sand filled tight radius bends? I have some 14 ga. AK exhaust tubing and sand. I could probably throw some in my big radial die walking shoe exhaust tubing machine for shits and giggles if you'd like.

27. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Any more tube bending questions for the guru?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

28. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

[​IMG]

I picked this bender up from a co-worker for about a third of the price of a new one. I haven't bent a thing with it, but it looks purdy.

1 5/8 die and a ratcheting gear drive.

here's a better pic of the gear drive.

[​IMG]

29. Originally Posted by SniffnPaint [​IMG]
    Alright, Ill throw a curveball. The material is T-110 Copper tubing 1.13" x 1.13" square x .63" round ID tubing. It comes in 40' lengths from Finland.

I anneal the tubing with a natural gas torch as its pulled around a buck. Basically there is a 22" diameter drum supported horizontally by two a-frames bolted to the floor. (I wish I had a picture of the fixture) On the right side of the a-frame is a pulley, attatched to the pulley is a cable to an electric hoist.
    As I anneal the tubing i bump UP on the crane to wrap the tube around the drum about 40 degrees at a time. 160' of tube and hours of silver soldering later I have super secret cooling coils. You dont see these everyday.

[​IMG]

Uh this ain't for a still is it??????

30. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

JMR builds a nice bender, sold plenty of them in my day. Nice score.