Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 08-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #21
dontlifttoshift

Default Re: Grainger-how do you buy if not a business?

chopolds beat me to it...everything I need from Grainger I get from McMaster. It's wierd cause grainger is 1/2 a miles away, but I prefer McMaster-Carr.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #22
derbydad276

buy your stuff from a local mom and pop type shop! help keep them in business

http://www.the350project.net/home.html

in the detroit are we are suffering beacuse we keep sending our money out of town
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #23
Sheep Dip

I have ordered on-line from them with a credit card and they shipped it to me at the house, I mostly use Mc Master Carr basically the same stuff/products....
Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #24
darkk

I made up a business name about 20 years ago for just this reason. No one has ever questioned it. If they ask for a tax ID # I tell them we just pay the taxes up front to avoid extra paperwork at tax time. If they need anything on a company letterhead, I just print one up...God! I love computers!
388" SBC
Old 08-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #25
Stu

I work for company simliar to grainger(Wesco) and the only reason we ask for a company name is for payment or special pricing, if you need anything shoot email a email and I could have it sent direct to you
ChNichols@wesco.com
Old 08-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #26
Don's Hot Rods
Old School HAMBer

I think a lot of companies are relaxing their policies these days to keep sales up. Our local Grainger used to be commercial only, but now will sell retail too. Another bolt supplier, Florida Tool and Fastener, used to have a $10 minimum order (no problem, I'd buy the ones I needed and toss some 3/8 bolts on the order to make $10...........always can use bolts) but the last time I was in there they did away with the minimum.

It's funny how some businesses that had their noses up in the air and firm policies are now very friendly and accomodating. I guess there are some upsides to a slow economy. I love it when a business that used to treat you like crap now suddenly throws out the welcome mat and actually smiles when you walk in the door.

Don
Old 08-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #27
theHIGHLANDER
Old School HAMBer

I kept my ID card from when I was a Ford supplier employee. I always use it at Grainger for my stuff and I get 15%. Here's the thing though, if you treat the counter worker like you've know him/her forever and ask for a better deal yet, you'll get it. It saved me a shit load of $$$ on my 10hp single phase compressor motor. Grainger list was like $750+tax. I got it for $599+tax. Substantial savings, yes? Just ask. It's not their inventory and there's discount scales in the 'puter. The worker doesn't set the price and they're there to sell shit. Like said above, they don't bite.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #28
Truckedup
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalshapes View Post
I dont.

I've been in the Tucson store a couple of times, and I didnt like the condescending attitude of the counter personel.

I'm able to find what I need without spending my money there...
I feel uncomfortable in their stores,like how I used to feel in auto parts stores years ago when a walk in customer was a piece of shit.
As an electrical contractor I prefer to use local wholesale supply houses.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #29
RichFox
Alliance Member

Granger opened up to United Air Lines employees some years ago. That extended to retired UAL employees. So if you phone and they ask tell them you are retired from United
Old 08-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #30
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

When I was doing the parts purchasing for a fruit juice plant a few years I averaged probably 500 dollars worth of business a week with Grainger but didn't need anything for myself at that time. One of the best things about ordering from them is that if the store you order from doesn't have the whole order they will ship what that store is short on from another store.
If a guy has their catalog and a McMaster Catalog he can just about figure out if any hardware type item he might want exists.

McMaster Carr also has just about any size of piano hinge you might want for a project including stainless.

For bolts for myself I find that the local ag supply store and the local machine shop have the best deals. And the local Ace has a nice supply of stainless now.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #31
silent rick
Alliance Member

alot of you guys don't understand the wholesale business. let's say a regular grainger customer who spends over $100,000 a year with them is at the counter spending another $1500 for stuff to finish a service call. in walks a guy off the street and wants to purchase stuff to repair something at home. if grainger were to sell to the average joe, their $100,000 customer might take offense. it's like taking money that he could be making or some other professional. when that customer sees that happen, he might decide to take his business elsewhere.
sometimes it pays to stay loyal to your customer base even if you have to turn away the small business

must ride on fender.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #32
fordor41

they ask you if you're a business probably because a lot of businesses don't pay tax up front. They pay guarterly,etc. private individuals pay tax upon purchase.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #33
goose-em
Grenade Inspector

You do not have to be a business to buy from Grainger, you just have to set up an account. You can set up a credit card or cash account as an individual. If you must enter a business name make one up.

Also, Grainger is higher in price than MSC or McMaster. I only buy from them when someone else doesn't have the part.

Also, MSC is always overnight shipping on anything in stock that doesn't come on truck freight, at no extra charge I might add.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #34
bulletproof1

last time i was at grainger they treated me like crap..it was my first(and only time ) in the store..i didnt know what to ,so i asked about a part,,they said if i dont have to part #, a business name ,a tax # they couldnt help me......"next" is what he said...
Old 08-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #35
Johnny Sweet
Grenade Inspector

Location: Living on my Arabian Horse Farm in the Upsate of South Carolina grew up in Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powdercoater46 View Post
What were the assh***s thinking? A sale is a sale. Terrible attitude and I wonder if part of that attitude is why our local Grainger store in Decatur Illinois shut it's doors a couple of years ago.
Let me throw this at all of you:
Remember not so many years ago when the economy was booming, and you went into almost any store, or place of buisness. The counter personnel where total Butt Heads. You thought to yourself, how the hell did this Jack Ass ever get hired. Well my brother Hammers, they have all been given there walking papers over the last few years. I'm concerned about the condition of the country's economy today, but not for those counter Ass Wipes from day's gone by.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #36
metalshapes
Tech Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent rick View Post
alot of you guys don't understand the wholesale business. let's say a regular grainger customer who spends over $100,000 a year with them is at the counter spending another $1500 for stuff to finish a service call. in walks a guy off the street and wants to purchase stuff to repair something at home. if grainger were to sell to the average joe, their $100,000 customer might take offense. it's like taking money that he could be making or some other professional. when that customer sees that happen, he might decide to take his business elsewhere.
sometimes it pays to stay loyal to your customer base even if you have to turn away the small business

No... I do understand.

And I have bought from them in the past.

But it always has been an unpleasant experience.

The last time I was in their store there was almost a 1:1 ratio of customers to counter personel.
But the personel seemed to be in a competition to see which one of them could waste the most time.

When it was finally my turn, I got the pizza faced kid who gave me a attitude.

It occurred to me that maybe their customers shouldnt be the ones that needed to prove that they were worthy of a transaction.

And I havent been back since...

Last edited by metalshapes; 08-05-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #37
Kustom Komet

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalshapes View Post
No... I do understand.

And I have bought from them in the past.

But it always has been an unpleasant experience.

The last time I was in their store there was almost a 1:1 ratio of customers to counter personel.
But the personel seemed to be in a competition to see which one of them could waste the most time.

When it was finally my turn, I got the pizza faced kid who gave me a attitude.

It occurred to me that maybe their customers shouldnt be the ones that needed to prove that they were worthy of a transaction.

And I havent been back since...
This was my exact experience at a Phoenix Grainger a couple of years ago. I couldn't believe how much time they were taking for regular transactions, and I thought to myself, "Gee, is this what the professional contractors have to deal with every time they need something?" I left with my Roloc abrasive discs, and promptly found another source for them.

-KK
Old 08-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #38
Ob1

Lately I have been amazed at the number of businesses that want to interfere with me spending my money.

All I can say is pray you never have to deal with Certegy... a bigger group of butt-munches I have never seen. You can win if you invest enough time.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #39
39 Ford

I called McMaster Car last week and ordered something had it in 3 days no min. order etc. No hassle.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #40
rjaustin421
Alliance Member

Grainger always limited their customers to those in trades and usually their customers knew what they needed by searching the WWG cataloger before the order was placed. They always served and probably still serve those who need an item ASAP, that was the business model and I accepted that when I no longer ran my machine shop I no longer bought there.

Once the odd ball gear motor on my cylinder honing machine died and a replacement was needed yesterday. There was one at a California Grainger and we picked it up the next day at the local branch.
Yes it was a pricey unit and the freight was real heavy but when you make your living with the tools of whatever trade you are in there are times when downtime cannot occur.

Perhaps they can be frustrating to a hobbyist but they fill an important supply niche for small businesses of all types.