Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harbor Freight MIG welders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fireant, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Fireant

Fireant
    from Texas

Has anyone ever used a MIG welder from Harbor Freight? I can get the 90 Amp Flux Wire Welder for $100, and was wondering if anybody had ever used one.

Thanks,

Ant

2. Dogwreck

Dogwreck
    from Kentucky

I have one. I have ran about 2 miles of wire through it. It has worked great. I upgraded the little fan that was inside that cools the copper winding's from a plastic three blade to a 5 blade one like you get out of a computer case only bigger, with a faster motor. It makes the duty cycle longer. I would buy another one in a heart beat. It is well worth the money. You just cant weld big stuff and it splatters like crazy, but hey its only a 100 bucks.

3. you wont want it
    they do not weld good
    you need one with GAS that would be better
    flux is not easy to work with as an amature

4. Ghost28

Ghost28

I haven't used one personally, but I have ran flux cored wire through my big miller trying to out run the wind outside, and I will use the gas bottle from now on even in the wind. It welded better.

5. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

The two most common things you need a welder for in rod building is for frame and sheet metal. The HF welder is not good at doing either one of these things.

So.....what would you use it for?

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

try a search here-lots of info on subject posted

7. powmia

powmia

JUNK! dont buy one. i used one for two years and the results were terrible and I know how to weld. Spend the extra 300 and get a lincoln or hobart. Check Craigslist, you can usually find a good used welder for half the price

8. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Save the $$ for a better welder.

9. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

I would get a miller i havent had any trouble out of mine.Kinda pricey tho

10. chopitdano

chopitdano

If you buy it invest in a good grinder....

11. ottos

ottos

i got the 90 amp one for doing floor pans and it works well..i also have a lincoln and that is best but for small jobs at my other shop the hf works well...

12. dvzdeathtrap

dvzdeathtrap
    from austin, tx

those harbor freight welders have definitely earned their bad name over time. some people have had no issues with them, but most do. as jandlcars said flux core welders are difficult to use and if you don't have experience with them. you will have issues w/ wire binding due to fusing the tips. absolutely spend the extra for a better brand if you are determined to get a wire fed welder. you however won't get a very strong weld from this type of welder. -DVZ

13. supervert

supervert

i keep one in my work truck and use it for gates and crap like that when im on a job and it works pretty good, but i wouldn't weld anything on any of my cars with it. and i dont like that its hot all the time like a readywelder. for 90 bucks its not bad but for 300 on craigslist you can find some a lot better. i just picked up a lincoln 185 for 300 on cl

14. metalshapes

metalshapes

I have a good Miller Mig.

And I have a Buzz Box, but they are both 220 so when I was building a fence around my backyard the extension cord was going to be really expensive.

So I got a little fluxcore 110 from HF, and used it with heavy duty 110 cord.

I didnt expect much from it, and figured if it would survive that one job I was money ahead.

You can lay a decent bead with it, and it still works.
    I use it for other stuff I cant get the big welders to.

I'd never use it on sheetmetal though.
    ( or a chassis either...)

15. IndyHolland

IndyHolland

Get a HOBART or MILLER. Buying a HF welder and expecting Miller results is like buying a Hyundai and expecting Lexus results.

16. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I would save my money and buy a name brand...Miller, Hobart, etc in a minimum 220 volt supply, this will weld anything auto related for the home builder...just my 2 cents worth

17. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

My brother bought one, he loves it. He welded a trailer togther with it. If I understand him correctly, they also make an tank adapter for it to add gas if you want. Double check it though....

If you got the money get a plasma/ welder.... Thats on my dream list

18. rld14

rld14

Odd.. I work for Hyundai and own a Lexus. My Lexus is an unreliable POS and the Hyundais are actually good cars, if you like modern stuff. (I dont, and the GS350 POS is being replaced by a Lincoln Premiere)

Anyhow, I used one of these $100 welders recently.. now, I suck at welding but when I use a nice gas MIG I can lay a decent bead (I have been practicing) but this $100 POS was tough as hell to use for me and had the duty cycle of a fruit fly.

Suppose though if $100 is all ya got that it would do the job. From what I have read on here the trick is to use good flux core wire, not the HF brand crap.

19. 32duece51merc

32duece51merc

You get what you pay for.......Buy a Hobart or Miller, much better machines.

20. msalamanca

msalamanca

If you get it, throw away the flux wire that it comes with, go and by some better wire.
    Get some sheet metal and practice on it.
    Yes its not a Lexus of welders, but when finances aren't there then why not?
    Do not run beads on sheet metal with it, stitch weld and let metal cool down.

21. Cheap arse and 90 amps, wouldnt touch it if someone gave it to me. I do alot of welding with a 300 amp and 1.2mm flux cored wire and there is absolutly no way I would contemplate running it without CO2 gas. 90 amps would be about as useless as if you wanted to weld anything heavier than sheetmetal.

22. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

I know it blows your budget, but this is the welder I have. I made some extra cash flipping an OT car and decided to take the plunge and spend it on a new welder. I absolutely love it, and I'm able to do jobs for people at work and put a few bucks in my pocket. At the time Miller was offering $100 rebate if you buy the spoolgun with the welder. I did that and (basically) got the spoolgun for free. I've done everything from frames to sheetmetal with it, and it does it with ease. I wanted the best machine I could find for the money and I am 100% happy with my decision. The Multi plug is awesome for the flexability it offers you. In the garage I use the heavy voltage, but if I need to use it out back or something, I pop the other plug on and I'm set.

http://store.cyberweld.com/mi211migwewi.html

I know money isn't growing on trees, but this is something you will have for years, and you might as well buy a quality tool that you can make money with.

23. VonKool13

VonKool13

It works fine for sheet if you let it cool and stitch weld. Definitley buy better wire cuz the HF wire is very inconsitant and will frustrate the hell out of you. Good Luck.

24. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

I use Miller equipment. Parts and service always available. Stick with a name brand and you will not be disappointed. Good luck! Bob

25. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

TRUE or plan on using some filler to hide my...er...the crappy welds.

26. RichG

RichG

Do a search on previous threads for this subject, some helpful advice has been given, including cheap upgrades and a better wire to run through it.

27. jackjohn

jackjohn
    from mineola tx

bought one last year, it worked like a 100.00 welder. saved up and bought lincoln 140 mig. never looked back.

john

28. psychopathic51

psychopathic51

I know in car craft they always have a full page ad in there for Eastwood and they have some really good deals on 110 & 220 mig welders that are gas ready for like $300-$500 and i think they even come with a cart as well. Might look into them before wasting your money on a junk one.

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Just get a used Miller or Lincoln if you want to be cheap. Way better in the long run. I bought my little Miller off of Cragslist cheap...

30. el shad

el shad

Dont buy that POS. You will be blowing your cash on garbage. Do what zman said or even a used Hobart. You will be doing yourself a favor.