Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. M422A1

M422A1
    from Alabama

This picture was taken in Selma, Alabama in 1973. This car belongs to a friend of mine. He will probably be posting in this thread soon.

Mike

2. dlshady

dlshady

Thanks for posting Mike and welcome! I've often wondered if that was indeed the Dick Coffey car because no one around north Alabama remembers it being campaigned in a blue/gold paint scheme, so maybe your friend could shed a little light on that for us. If it is indeed the Country Boy, hopefully he will know a bit about the ownership history from 1964 through the time when that photo was taken. Being that there were only four of these cars in Alabama, and one was destroyed in an accident I suppose it is a very real possibility that it is the Country Boy. Looking forward to learning more about it!

Deron

3. M422A1

M422A1
    from Alabama

Here's a couple of pictures I took at the MuscleCar Review Magazine MuscleCar Nationals in 1988 at the Atlanta Dragway. A Thunderbolt and a 427 Galaxie...

Mike

Attached Files:

4. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Here's the Dick Coffey Thunderbolt pic. The picture of the blue and gold Mohumpus came directly from Dick Hoffman and was claimed to be the the Coffey car as found. The car has since been restored and is/was owned by a collector in Mass.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  5. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Few years back at Thunder Valley, Noble Ok.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and my son's 63 Coupe with some Crites parts on it. I have a 64 2 door sedan that one day will be cloned

[​IMG]

catdad49 likes this.
  6. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

" Granted the Mohumpus pic (a Thunderbolt being dragged from a barn thru mud) doesn't jive with the story on Craig Sutton's site, I go with Dick Hoffman's story unless anyone else could prove otherwise. "

I'll have to agree with you, and the Hoffman pic. There simply were never any Bolts around Nashville for sale past 1980 other than Dowlins. Ever.
    And also, I'll go to my grave with the knowledge your dad gave me about the other 2 that were sold new in the Nashville region as well. I now have peace of knowing the whole story from someone who was actually around and saw them. I was too young.
    Tom S. in Tn.
    P.S. the hands on the back of little Henry were red. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. :)

7. breezeway

breezeway

Hi, I'm building a T-bolt patterned after the one that use to be in Regi Jackson's collection.
    Do you know who to talk to about a 50th T-bolt reunion?
    Greg.

8. Some 'glass door T-bolt pics! :)

Attached Files:

catdad49 likes this.
  9. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I wish that middle pic was in color. That yellow really stood out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

catdad49 likes this.
  10. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Seen at "Cruzin Ocean City MD" this weekend.

Attached Files:

catdad49 likes this.
  11. rlsteel

rlsteel

does anybody know the wheel size and offset they are running on theses cars?the 5 spokes would have to have a great deal of offset even if they are 7 inch wide thanks RLS

12. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

That wagon is kewl!

13. ford_george

ford_george

If you want to know the true story about "The Country Boy" and Pat Gray's "Whuppet" I can tell you the truth, as I am the one who bought both of them. I bought Pat Gray's thunderbolt, which had been converted to be a funny car for $200.00. We took it home (Nashville) and started converting it back to run Super Stock. It was a whole lot of work. While I was trying to find a set of headers for the car, I got a phone call from a guy in Selma Al. who had a set. When I got there I bought the headers from him and was about to leave when he asked me if I needed any other parts. He took me outside and there was the "Country Boy". I paid him $400 for the car and took it to Nashville. This car need less work and we stripped the fiberglass doors off of Pat Gray's car and put it on the Country Boy. Since Pat Gray's car needed so much work and you couldn't find a fiberglass hood, fenders or an aluminum bumper we scrapped the car. We raced it for a couple of years and sold it to a fireman out of Houston Tx. I have regretted it ever since.

Want more info on the cars? Just ask...

14. MAYFAIR AUTO PARTS "The Mover" C/MODIFIED PRODUCTION '64 FAIRLANE! Non T-bolt...but very nice! :)

From Taylor, Michigan. Driver/Owner is Al Szwed.

Attached Files:

catdad49 likes this.
  15. Would like to see more pics of this '65 Fairlane? Super nice car! :)

Attached Files:

16. dlshady

dlshady

Thanks for the info Ford George! I've asked Pat several times over the years who bought his car but all he could remember was that it was "some boys from up around Nashville".... I'd love to see some photos of the car as it was when you drug it home if you have any. I'm particularly interested to know what colors were used in the lettering and stripes on the car because everybody around here has a different opinion.

Thanks,
    Deron

17. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Ok,....... I'd like a little more info.
    What years did you run the Coffey car. What did you use for a motor? Where did you race mainly?
    Tom S. in Tn.

18. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

There's a bunch in this thread/ The Car was Darrell Drokes car first before Jerry got her. There is footage on You Tube of when Jerry drove her.

19. jestang

jestang

x2 .... would like to see what the country boy car looked like when you brought it home

20. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Looks like I was getting the stories confused. Ya'll brought the Country Boy car to Nashville (the Mohumpus car pictured), built a S/S car from parts of both T-Bolts and the Whuppett ended up being scrapped over at Steiner-Liff. Then the car was sold to the fireman in Tx. Correct?

[​IMG]

Do you have any info or pics of the Hippodrome Ford Thunderbolt driven by Clyde Felts??

Or this one:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2011
    catdad49 likes this.
  21. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Mercuryjunkey...I was reminded of your post #2360 on page 118 recently when I met Gary Mathews of Chambersburg, PA. He has complete 64 T-Bolt body molds for fiberglass bodies like the car in your post.

Attached Files:

catdad49 likes this.
  22. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Seems that series of pics is from North Carolina. I'd think that might be an early shot of the Atwater Ford Thunderbolt driven by Jake King (prior to it being painted lt blue and lettered). That car had chrome wheels all the way around, not many did. The Mooresville Ford Kenny Warren T-Bolt (Virginia Twister) was also from that area and ran chrome wheels, Howards wheels in the frt and chrome steel wheels on the rear.

There were a couple other NC T-Bolts but I don't have pics of them.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  23. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

#2513;
    Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by ford_george [​IMG]
    If you want to know the true story about "The Country Boy" and Pat Gray's "Whuppet" I can tell you the truth....
    Want more info on the cars? Just ask...

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Looks like I was getting the stories confused. Ya'll brought the Country Boy car to Nashville (the Mohumpus car pictured), built a S/S car from parts of both T-Bolts and the Whuppett ended up being scrapped over at Steiner-Liff. Then the car was sold to the fireman in Tx. Correct?

.......... and it's presently in a collection in Massachusetts ?
    Tom S. in Tn.

24. jestang

jestang

I still don't believe the country boy car and the mohumpus car are the same car .... hopefully ford_george can clarify this for us

25. Thunderbolt car #35 in the Thunderbolt Registry. It was Sponsored by South Carolina Ford dealer Pulliam Motors. Lookin' for more pics...black & white or in color! :) Thanks!

Attached Files:

catdad49 likes this.
  26. agtw31

agtw31

is this the same car?i was told this car is a T bolt

[​IMG]

same car now
    [​IMG]

27. FAM4WILLYS

FAM4WILLYS

Thunderbolt battles

28. Peter Mc Mahon

Peter Mc Mahon
    from Ontario

What kind of times and speeds would these cars have been running?

29. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

i went down to the 2011 mecum auction indy a few weekends ago and saw these.

the comet is a 427 sohc "cammer" and not sure about the second one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]