Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects West Side Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mattcarlson, Apr 8, 2011.

1. mattcarlson

mattcarlson

well heres the plans! i have a 1952 buick special (40's series) << ya i suck at spelling you will come to relize this through out this thread. but anyways the car runs and drives, needs a little tunning but what car doesnt that ya buy for cheap. so the plans are as follows so to speak, never know what goofy idea that may be thrown my way and screw everything up. lol anyways the bodys deffintly rough the motor has some slight missing and backfire through the carb. so im goign to go through and replace all the points and plugs, wires and rotor and cap. then pull the single barrel carb off and pull it completly apart and clean and rebuild it. in hopes that the car will run like a champ! all that will be done by this sat. after that i plan on doing a little body work mainly on the weekends for i wanna drive this car daily during the week, and cut out cancer on the weekends do a pannel a weekend, type thing. as far as the motor i really wanna dual carb it, but to be honest i know nothing about these motors or how they run, oh ya that just reminded me, i have plans to 12 volt it with in a month and re-wire the entire car(im probly going to end up beating my self with a hammer since i hate wiring), ok back on track, with doing the dula carb im going to build a custom set of headers for the motor, not sure what the plans are for that but when i get there trust me anybody subscribing to this thread will know. i wanna end up running tru duals ( and me being hte pyro i am i need flame throwers too!!!!) lol but that mite not happen, cause i really wanna put this car on air! its coil sprung on all 4 corners and by the looks of it(havent put the car on a hoist yet thats happing sat) seems simplemay have to c nothch the back frame not sure yet. so thats the baisc plan for now, who knows what next week will bring, ecspecial when my best friends step dad said i should take and put my best friends 530+horese grand national motor in my car and my best friend sat and thought about it. lol and of course i know everybody wants pics so im going to through every pic and the one vid i have of the car up!

oh ya the name for the car came from the orginal dealer ship badging on it. west side buick of chicago illinois! i will take a pic of it tomorrow!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

That really hurt my head to read all that.

3. mattcarlson

mattcarlson

haha sorry man! i was on a rol and just kept typing everything that came to my head! granted it was all over the place and shity ass spelling but im hoping ya got my idiea, lol

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of people suck at spelling, thats why the benevolent administrators add the 'Spell Check' option.
    Apart from the spelling that is a struggle to read on a grammatic level as well.

Doc.

5. Cool Matt- I'm gonna follow this one. I'm in a similar boat. Subscribed.

6. Pete Fox

Pete Fox
    from Belgium

Strange that so many people in the US don t write properly their own language. I am Belgian and my mother language is Dutch!

7. mattcarlson

mattcarlson

haha ya my litercy is beyond bad, but hell give me a car and i can do whatever ya want! lol i was also under the influnace of jameson when i wrote that, im surprised its not evenmore messed up lol! well im goign to upload lots of pics now.

Attached Files:

8. mattcarlson

mattcarlson

could somebody point me in a good direction on decoding the body build tag? well yesterday, got new pluygs new wires cleaned the carb and tried takin in down the road and was still having a back fire through the carb so called my best friends step dad, the guy has more knowledge then most books could ever wish to have, but anyways we got to talking and was telling him all the stuff and mentioned i seen a new puel pump under the car, then we were tring to figure out what this long black wire that wasnt connected in the engine bay was, so i traced it back to the new fuel pump, ya you know what happens next lol, put power to it and well my fuel bowl on hte side of the carb filled right up and tried the car again!!! and lets just say i almost had to change my pants i was so happy, fixed all the problems, now just need to get the timing set, i belive its just a few degrees off.

just a little bullshitin to add in- so last nite leaving my buddys house i decied to sit in the car and turn the radio on, which works amazing!!! speaker sounds awsome, but im sitting htere with the dash lights on and the old tunes crankin out on the am radio! and what comes to mind, the movie christine!!! haha wich i felt just like him as he's sitting in that car rubbing the dash whispering sweet nothings to it! saying i love it!!! lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  9. mattcarlson

mattcarlson

took the car out for a nice drive today, car runs good light miss around 50mph but f ya burp the throttle it goes away? thinking it might just be shity gas. then sittin in the shop staring at it i decided just goign to clean it up and rock it the way it is all summer and not even touch the cancer, so i started hand buffin the hood and front bumper just to see how well a little elbow grease went, well im pleased! lol i will let the pics talk for them self goign to post a before and after.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  10. Nice project Matt, good luck with it.

I have a 1951 Special 45 R (2dr HT)

11. mattcarlson

mattcarlson

question for everybody, are the shocks on these cars rebuildable??? or would i be better off fabbin up mounts for gas mono tube shocks???

12. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

The shocks on these didn't do very much when they were brand new cars.
    Set of MonroeMatics will do the ol gal a world of good. Just don't expect sports car handleing.

13. mattcarlson

mattcarlson

koool, ya i dont expect anything except to slow down my bouncing when i come to a stop! lol i can almost hop the car its so bad. lol oh on another note, do the 50 and 60 series buicks have a heavier spring? but same size, i was thinking about taken a large buick car and putting them in my car?

14. Cool project. Ill follow it. I would just cut your losses and go with new shocks all around. Like Chubby said, Monroe-Matics would be a good way to go.

15. mattcarlson

mattcarlson

so your saying mount your own? so mount shocks all 4 corners adn have a sway mbar take car of things.

p.s ive beeen drinking that da,mn jameson!

16. mattcarlson

mattcarlson

does anybody know what users have this style chassi with bags on all four corners? i really wanna lay mine out. also im goign to search right now, but does anybody know if theres a factory sway bar thats a good canidate to setup in this cars style chassi?

17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

18. scotsmerc64

scotsmerc64

Good to see another Buick being resurrected. I have MonroeMatics on my 51. Very pleased with the ride. Keep us posted!

19. mattcarlson

mattcarlson

hey thanks stumpy for the link! i will say im really blind cause i went past all the trim identifaction on that site, probly cause i was looking at engine specs lol.

scotmerc do you have any pics of your where and how ya have the shocks mounted?

20. mattcarlson

mattcarlson

oh ya i had fun with my horn! the first pic is drivers side horn and the others are pass side. but i figured since the horn works awsome and is loud and sounds so cool why not make the horn look cool! lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  21. mattcarlson

mattcarlson

Does anybody know where i can find a chassi diagram for my buick with all the measurements on it?