Register now to get rid of these ads!

HVLP Turbine Paint Systems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TxF100, Nov 9, 2010.

1. TxF100

TxF100

2. I'll give ya a bump as I'd like to hear anybodys experience with these too.

3. jmh

jmh

Me too.. John:rolleyes:

4. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i love them!!i bought one from sherwin williams acuspray,and have painted 9 cars with it.i just painted my opel with it last year.its a flake job and also the first flake i have done.its also nice for anything else that you need to paint.whats nice is you dont have to worry about oil or water in the air and with the right tips you can airbrush with it.i sprayed all my doors at my house with latex paint un thinned!!!!!!

Attached Files:

5. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i use to have a painting co.with about 20 enployees.i had three of them for spraying gutters awnings,appliances,and cabanets.one day i decided to spray my derby car with it and never stopped from there.when i was painting a truck for a guy the turbine too a shit.i was freeking out because i didnt want to loose the painting window,so i grabbed my shopvac and used it as the turbine to finish the job.i still have it conected to a spare hose for the just in case.i bought a used turbine off ebay and use it about once a month for dumb shit.

6. Why not just a decent HVLP gun? Is it that you don't have a compressor? I recently picked up a DeVILBLISS Finishline gun with a couple tips for about the same price. I'm old school - came from the Bink's #7 days . . . anyway, shot some HOC KP2 primer through it with a 1.8 tip - sprays really nice. I also have a high-end Sata RP gun that I have not used as of yet.

If you're looking for HVLP (and you have an air compressor), there are quite a few options in the medium cost world. Given what I saw of the Finishline gun (I'll use it for just primer, but it would shoot a car fine) -- one can pickup a decent gun for about $150 and be happy with it.

Example for a used Sata 2000 RP - on the Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sata...Z170563316783QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

What do others think?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  7. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i have regular guns and a big IR.compresser.i have used both but i like the turbine better because its a TRUE hvlp.try taking a devilbliss hvlp gun and spray something at 2-5 lbs.its not going to happen!!!!there is WAY less bounce back and overspray because of the low pressure.the air line is 3/4''-1''.thats volume!!!!!i can take my gun and put a #5 tip in it pull the trigger and have a 20'' pattern from 5'' away.it will spray out a quart in about 40 seconds!!then i can set the fan and material down and pull the trigger and get a 1/2'' pattern and next to no paint.trust me i have had some of my friends that paint cars for a living and they cant believe what it can do!!

120mm likes this.
  8. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

to me its just more forgiving and easyer to use.i can grab a long extencion cord and spray what ever i want where ever i want and it lays out great,just got to look out for the bugs!!

9. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

I have been using an accuspray system for 20 years--Love it

10. Must say - didn't know squat about turbine systems . . . looked into the 'Accuspray' stuff just a few minutes ago - would love to try one. Now that 3M bought them . . . are they still being sold, marketed, etc -- or swallowed by the 3M fish?

Learn something new every day :rolleyes:

11. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

been useing one for years and love it no more fish eys or moisture

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      512.8 KB
      Views:
  12. Racewriter

Racewriter

When I was 15, I bought a Binks 7 (used) and painted my first car with it. That was what my dad used, as well as his bodyman. When I was 17, Dad bought a Croix CX-10 HLVP turbine system. Neither one of us has used a gun since. There is simply no comparison, and the "HVLP" guns are in no way, shape, or form the same thing. With the turbine system, you get hot and clean air with no moisture or oil. The paint application is much better and cleaner; there's a fraction of the overspray and bounce back. You save money on paint, because you use less of it. Perfect and consistent spray pattern, etc. I was thinking about buying a turbine of my own, and Dad just gave me the old Croix. So, I'm still painting with it.

I tried a DeVilbiss HVLP gun that a bodyman friend of mine uses. He uses his every day, and he's a hell of a painter. There's just no comparison. The DeV is an improvement over the old high pressure guns, definitely - but it's not anything like a turbine.

120mm likes this.
  13. olds34dude

olds34dude
    from florida

I've had and used an accuspray turbine for over ten years and though I haven't used it alot I really like it when I do. I have [carwise] only used it to 2k prime and it worked great. I would do more checking around if I were looking to buy today as there are alot of different brands available. The problem I have found with Accuspray is that it is hard to find anyone who stocks the parts, and the price is ridiculous, probably even moreso since 3M took over. A year or so ago right after the take over it was real hard to get parts. I would check the paint stores,S/W, Ben-Moore,etc . as well as the auto-suppliers for various brands, availability of kits etc before buying; but they really do work well.

14. cowboy.3d

cowboy.3d
    from Austin TX

I use an Apollo turbine everyday, custom cab's and furniture. I have shot a few bikes and parts with it (trunk, hood, doors) took some getting used to but works great.

15. Racewriter

Racewriter

One other thing to point out - TP generally has a good reputation in the restoration industry. I wouldn't hesitate to buy stuff from them. In fact, it looks like their guns and hoses might interchange with my Croix.

16. I just bought a used one (I dont have a compressor)havent used it yet.The tp unit has a 3/8 quick connect so you cant use guns from other brands as far as I can tell.

17. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i know SW sells them.i get a great discount from thembecause of all the polyurea i buy from them.they sell all the parts you need.if i buy big dollar items i use CJ spray.they rebuild all of graco's stuff and he gets the best prices.when i bought my first one i got the pressure tank and pump with it.it was nice to have a gallon of paint mixed up and ready to spray but it sucks cleaning out the supply line.i now the projectors are expencive.when i bought mine i also got a kit with it that had 1-5 tips and caps.if some one was looking to paint and primer a car the #3 is all you need.it is big enough to spray paint and flake!!!,but also works great with clear.

18. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

I used one to paint my green T with, first paint job I ever did and it came out fine , I would buy another if I had to

"Doc" Parsons

19. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I have a TP sturbine ystem and love it. I can paint a car with a show car next to it and get zero over spray on the show car.

It has a different feel from a conventional gun or HVLP gun run on shop air. Paint comes out faster, so you need to keep moving. You have to be careful how you overlay the paint from one pass to the next. The paint goes on with a very distinct pattern, where the edge of the application has no over spray/feathering of paint.

I use a lot less material and my shop stays clean. The results on the few cars I have done with it are incredible.

20. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

I work for one of SW's competitors, call or pm me I would want me to hook you up with pricing? We have stores in houston and surrounding areas and in 99% of cases I can kick the crap out of Sherwin Williams prices. Sam Navarro-832-618-0447

21. smokey3550

smokey3550
    from texas

I used one a couple of years ago, belongs to my dad. He had been bragging on it. I painted a pickup cab, doors, and front end with acrylic enam. It worked great, it heats the air so the paint dries a little faster, you usually need faster reducer. I would definately recommend it. I am a prof painter ( cars) for over 20 yrs.

22. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

Cant beat the turbine gun once you learn it.

23. TxF100

TxF100

Wow thanks for all the answers.

I was originally looking at the TP HVLP Turbine because of all the moisture here in the Houston area and there being no water in the lines. Also, TP built the parts to work together as a system, and I had heard a few good things about HVLP as a whole.

Now I"m convinced this is a good idea. Thanks again and I will post the results.

24. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

why dont you look into drying your air if you all ready have a good compressor. you can pick up good (IR or equivalent) used air dryer (refrigerated) off ebay for 2-300 dollars.

or just get a good multi stage ( water separator, Desiccant dryer, desiccant particulate filter) in the same price range.

two...... how many of the big time painter have you seen use a turbine system?????

if your stuck on them... go with sam. he's a good guy!

25. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i have all of the above!!!huge comp.air dryer, large desiccant filter,oil&water filter for my polyurea spray riggs.water and poly dont mix!!the air dryer was $300 used des.was over 300 pluse the bags are $80 excetera.even with all this there is still some moisture in the air.its way better than just a compressor but for the diy guy why buy and have to store all this just to paint acouple of cars?everyone has there own opp.on what works the best for them but in my opp.for the money and ease of use and storage the turbine is the way to go.

26. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

ps.i primed,flaked,and cleared my car with the same tip!!!!try to do that with a reg.hvlp gun!!

27. yblock292

yblock292

had my pair of binks model 7's for about 35 years, still use'um, just cant teach an old dog new tricks

28. johnod

johnod

I've never painted period. How difficult would it be for me to learn how to use one of these? Any ideas?

29. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

I was thinking the same thing myself, and if I was going to buy a couple HVLP guns for x dollars, or step up a bit and go for a turbine.....

I hope to do the frame and cab/box on my 55 Dodge truck next year...plus other various bits and peices

30. johnod

johnod

Since we're parctically neighbours we can split the cost of one.:)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010