Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1953 210 build thread (josie)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrconcdid, Oct 22, 2010.

1. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Im rather new here, This is my currant project, a relatively bone stock 53 chevy. I will out line the project.

Currant set-up
    Specs 215 inline six, 3 spd on the colume, this car ran and drove 4 yrs ago, floors have been patched but the lower rear quarters are shot, I got it running and drove it off the trailer, dosen't have a second gear and brakes were optional this year .
    came with an extra rear glass, hood and trunk

Heres the Plan
    Caddy Motor
    mustang II front suspension
    relocate s-10 leaf springs
    S-10 rear axle from blazer ( 4 inches wider than trucks)
    airbag suspension front and rear
    chop top ( thinking 4 to 5 inches )
    Interior Mexican Blanket
    Paint flat Brown maybe Black and a flakey roof
    Wheels Steel smothies with trim rings and caps 15 inch

These pics are the day i got it

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  2. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Disassembly

Attached Files:

3. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

ok, motor and tranny are out, body is off, starting from the bottom and going to work my way up.
    Started with the rear end, removed the old suspension and relocated a pair of S-10 rear springs and axle from a blazer. It matches up good with a 53 inch width backing plate to backing plate, set the rear shackel mount thru the frame to gain about 3 inches and made front mounts. I removed all but the helper spring and added 3 inch lowering blocks, should set the axle on the frame easly and the air bags will handle the load.
    Mustang II cross member is on its way from welder series ( paul Horton )

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  4. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Finally found a front end 1979 Pinto, our local recycler is a gold mine for cheap good parts. Here is a shot of the lowest ride hieght.
    Reinforced the frame on the underside of the rear shackle mounts just to be safe. Spring hanger will swing in the open space.

Started on the front end, got it striped and clean.
    The mustang II cross member i got from Welder Series i wanted to start with good straight metal instead of cutting it out of the Pinto, When I get it installed it will be easy to transfer over all the parts. Power steering rack upper and lower control arms, may opt. for a set of dropped spindels wont know till i get the Wheels back on.
    Finished up the boxing plates tonight. This completes the frame work for now, air bags will be in soon and those mounts will be next. Fired up the donor motor a caddy in a hearse, everything has a story. comes with 42,000 original miles and turbo 400 trans, will be useing everything i can from the hearse, radiator. Also picked up a s-10 for the pedal assmebly and brackets, brake booster and master cylinder and few other bits and pieces, also got a big brake kit for the mustang II ,11.5 rotors with the s-10 bolt pattern and new brakes and brackets.
    Hope to have 4 wheels on the ground in the next day or two.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

5. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

update

Attached Files:

6. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Yard art
    Here's the front clip, would make a great grill
    Motor and tranny are in starting on airbag mounts now

Attached Files:

7. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

11.5 granada rotors, strut rod eleminators, 8 in bags on the rear with s-10 rear springs that I dearched. I will Notch the frame this weekend, but just 1 inch, with a 24 inch tall tire this should set the spring hanger on the ground, I just dont want to cut the floor for the Gambino style notch. Ended up using 6in bags in the front.

Attached Files:

8. illterminal

illterminal

Wow! You did all this in less than 20 minutes, you're amazing. But seriously, cool project. I'm going to pick up my 53' 210 tomorrow, pretty excited. Good luck with the car, I'll be following the thread.

9. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

i have been waiting to get some pics together, im alittle further along than the pics.

Im thinking these Slots and center caps for wheels

Attached Files:

10. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Just about ready for the body, Still considering a small notch in the rear, if not I plan on putting the body back on Next week!

Attached Files:

11. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

If I went to all that trouble, I'd notch the rear while it was easy to get to.

12. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

The body is back on, next set the motor back in and wire it and fire it. So far everything looks like it is clearing the body just fine.
    Dont mind the big tires in the pic there just rollers. There 28s in the rear and 26 in the front, the plan is to run 23 or 24 inch tall tires all the way around.

Attached Files:

13. billys54

billys54

14. OL-54

OL-54

mrconcdid: How did you lift the body off? Overhead lift, side lifting car lift, what? Removed one 54 body already but didn't need to be nice about it. Now I want to put the nice body on the fresh modified frame.

15. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

No 2 post lift here, Old School just 1 floor jack and some wooden 6x6 blocks and cinder blocks and 4 10ft long 4x4 post, I took a piece of 2x3 box steel about 3 ft long put it under the center of the body ( under rear seat area) and a floor jack, raised up and slide 2 wooden 4x4 across the frame rails 10 ft long, then did the same to the front of the body, then went back to the rear and raised it up using the 4x4 and put cinder blocks 2 on botten then turn the next 2 then turn the next 2 so you have a laced colume 3 blocks high 2 blocks wide on each side ( be sure and clear the tires thats why i used a 10ft 4x4s)then you can pull the rolling chassie out from under the body. then just reverse the process to lower it back down 1 block at a time. I never went side to side always front to back.
    Not the best pic, but the only one I had, it set like this under cover for about 3 months. It takes about an hour and a half to raise and lower it . keep the body as low as possible and i removed the rear tires to pull it out and to put it back under.I put 2 , 2 ft long 2x6 boards under the U bolts like skids so it would slide and pulled it with my tractor. I hope this helps you out, it crude but effective and luckly I had no damage.

Attached Files:

16. OL-54

OL-54

17. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Nice build. Love the 53/54 Chevys...

18. lawman

lawman

Nice start.Tom (Tired Old Man)

19. robleticia

robleticia

Damn, two days and its bagged with the motor back in and the body back on? Shit, I better get my ass back in the garage, I'm slackin! LOL! Going to look great! Looking forward to see how this comes out.
    Rob

20. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Thanks fellas
    Just fine tuning the body, had to cut to openings under the rear seat area about 6x6in square, to access the rear bags. They are needed for future access to the bags. moving the rear shackle up into the frame worked out great cleared the spare tire recess and the gas tank

Also looks like the fire wall is going to be pushed back a few inches, I plan on frenching a wheel barrow in it. Tranny tunnel will follow the firewall, going to keep it simple.

I keep the pics comming.

21. mames123

mames123
    from Conway, SC

We have a 53 Chevy for parts if there is anything that you are missing let me know.

22. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Thanks for the offer, this car is pretty complete, nothing really missing anything, there are some things Im looking for and or will be buying.
    Lower rear quarter panels
    Late caddy twin scoop air cleaner
    54 1 piece red tail lights
    airbag tank and valves 1/2 inch

If anyone has these items and wants to sell or trade let me know

the junk yard in the pic is in florida. As much as im there I should get a job there.

23. RPIERCE

RPIERCE
    from Alvin Tx

What rear end are you using? Is that a ford 9" or the stock one?

24. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Im using a s-10 blazer rear end, and bought the same bolt pattern granda style rotors to match up front

25. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

EMS sells replacement quarter panels.
    Lee Lenses has the custom 1-piece '54 Lenses in 2 styles.
    Suicide Doors has good deals on the air ride stuff.

Cool car, and good progress.

26. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

some more work done.
    nice side shot and the first test fit of the motor with the body on, will be cutting the fire wall soon and raising the tranny tunnel. Im no body man, so im thinking the easiest way is to build a box and french it into the firewall.

Attached Files:

27. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Firewall is recessed 3.5 inches, trans tunnel is next, brake pedal/booster, then steering.
    Motor is in place and loosly bolted in, tranny crossmember is in place and tail shaft clears floor boards. so far so good.

Attached Files:

28. very nice work! I love '53-'54 Chevys

where at in Florida are you? I'm moving to Ocala end of April/May

29. Trencher

Trencher

did you use a 4wd rear? in one of your pics, the wheel looks really sucked in! are you gonna run skirts..I'm collecting parts for my '54, just didn't know what you had going on there....I have heard to run the 4wd truck axle, never knew Blazers were a different width, but then again, I have not measured any yet either...

30. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Yes, Im using a Blazer rear, it measures 51 inches if I remember backing plate to backing plate, which leaves me about 2 3/4 inches between the frame and the backing plate, yes it close but do able standard 8 inch wide wheels seem to work and with a 4/4 offset. I have a pair of 10 inch wide wheels with a 6/4 off set, they will fit but will have to trim the fender lip, its to close by my standards.
    S-10 axles vary greatly I have found blazers and 4x4 are closer to the right size, if you dont take it out of the s-10 be sure and mesure it.