Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 09-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #81
barfers
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: 1950 Ford Carson Top

wow great video, love the sqaureback! supremes and a ragtop man you got taste!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #82
Yaril
Alliance Member

thanks!

its been a while since the last update. quite a bit has been going...

my new gas tank from "tanks" arrived, its for a 49 Chevy. price was right and so were the dimensions. i did not want to use the mustang tanks cause that puts the fill neck in the middle of the trunk. aesthetically it doesn't work.

worked on making the fill neck behind the taillight so that when the trunk is opened it will be hidden behind the trunk upholstery panel. this required a few changes...

frame needed to be drilled and cut to run the fill tube through...

finally the tank got painted base coat clear coat along with the straps...

moved on to the inner fender wells. i want a clean engine bay so there were a few things to eliminate...

sanded them down, still need to go in and do some hand sanding in tight areas then start primer filling them to smooth them out...

with tank mocked in the floors are ready for undercoating...

chose to use "raptor" its for bed liners so im sure it will protect the bottom of the car for years to come...

had cleaned the firewall / wheel wells and masked them off want them to be smooth...

all new body pads in place to set the body on frame for the last time...

body and frame together. its a roller once again with all new hardware...

now progress can be made on the body, hanging the doors properly, framing for the padded top, front fenders ext.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #83
Yaril
Alliance Member

got some NOS skirts and just had to put them on there. also painted the trunk floor now that all the "fab" work for the tank is done...

with the body secure on the frame, the doors are finally able to be properl hung, therefore the vent windows finally got chopped...

also tilted the wings to match the a-pillar (thanks Paul!) and began to seal the header area...

cleaned the firewall up to prep it for paint. fenders will be welded to the body so id rather push this forward before putting the fenders on...

Old 09-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #84
oldebob

Like everyone has said, great job on the car. But what really gets me is how with a post of a couple of pictures and a couple of paragraphs of text you can put across what most magazine writers couldn't do in a couple of articles. You have a real talent there. Can't wait to see this baby done.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #85
Special Sam

Damn. I'm just gonna go burn my friggin car to the ground. There seems to be no point anymore. I'm so happy for you and you deserve to drive the shit out of that car. Looking extremely fine. Can't wait to see it done. In the time you've done this entire job, I've managed to buy 2 door handles and put them on my car. I believe it is going to take me a while to finish mine. Nope I'm wrong, did get my lowered about 5 inches also.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #86
Stutz
Alliance Member

I like you build, your updates are precise and detailed enough without being to much. Thanks and keep up the good work. Thats going to be a bad F'N car.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:30 AM   #87
vividlyvintage

great work. Very clean. I need to get a bead roller. I really like the way you made the tail lights. very traditional looking.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:56 AM   #88
SuperFleye
Alliance Member

Looking good so far!!
Old 10-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #89
sevenevez

Good Lord this is an awesome build. Inspiring to see your progress.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #90
Yaril
Alliance Member

thanks! posting the progress kinda helps me stay focused or keep track of whats done and where im going on the build. thanks for all the kind words. still lots and lots of work to do!

the radiator arrived on Friday and i wasted no time in exposing the brass top tank. cant wait to see that in the car...

my paint and body guy came through to move the firewall along. fenders are planed to be welded on for a seamless fit so the firewall needs to move into primer as soon as possible to be able to hang the fenders...

so Friday night i stayed late and played with my wood. remember this was a sedan, i have no vert header other than pics. i was not happy with the look of the stock header so i decide to make my own, how hard could it be?

after stroking my wood all night it finally took shape. i wanted more of a 40's looking header, a bit more eyebrow i guess that best way i can describe it? also want the top to hang just over the windshield about 1/2" so far the overall shape is there, still lots to do!

then back to striping! the dash is down to the bare, think i will shave the 3rd hole only going to have key and headlight switch...

the weekend is not over so off to the shop to strip the doors down to the metal.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #91
Yaril
Alliance Member

some more progress made...

here is the rear bumper to valance gap on the side, after lowering the bumper the gap is too much, so i cut and filled the gap. sorry no pic of it after:

using 49 vert doors on a 50 sedan, lets just say the stock mechs dont quite line up. so bear claw latches are what i went with. using the claw on the post side and the stud on the door, one for a cleaner entry to the back seat / when the door is opened its much smoother and two i will have no door handles outside or inside. push rod will open from the outside and a pull knob for the inside (more on that later):

i simply drilled the striker hole bigger and welded the complete kit to the inside of the door, also the old latches on both door and post are being shaved. the bear claw is lower cause for one i think it being centered on the door it will keep it even gap better (dont know if thats true just my idea) and cause at the original location the claw on the post would have been tilted up so that might have caused future problems:

i striped both vert doors down to metal and i was amazed they are solid other than a couple whiskey dents that i can hammer and dolly. the bottom of the doors are going to be rounded, both front and rear for a smoother flow:

made this cardboard template and paper of the door and rear quarter glass. this helped me visualize the window opening profile so that i can begin on the padded top frame. did a couple and this one i feel is the best flowing. i will be shooting for a bit more Gaylord style top than Carson being that his flowed more and suite the 50's cars better while the Carson suited the 30's and 40's cars more:

last thing tonight was tack welding the fenders to the body and the front splash pan to the fenders. then the hood was mocked in for an over look at the car. still lots of fab work to do upfront like the grill surround, frenching, nosing and smoothing the hood to name a few:

i did receive just in time 2 really nice 51 Kaiser grille bars so there is nothing keeping me from completing the fabrication on the front end. for a while i though 1 bar would be enough, still not 100% but leaning towards 2 like on Don Carrols shoebox, guess that will soon work itself out:

also the body work has began! my pal Leo attacked the car today for a solid 12 hours smoothing out lots of the car, its nice to start seeing it take on shape. our goal is to have it painted by the end of this month or very begin of next month. that will give me a couple weeks to wrap up the mechanicals' before my 700 mile test drive.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #92
koolkemp
Old School HAMBer

Wow shes looking great been following your progress since the start very inspirational !!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=466490
Old 10-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #93
UnIOnViLLEHauNT
Old School HAMBer

This car oozes cool. You are amazingly talented!

www.DogsinDanger.com

...And we'll ride the rails with our pistols drawn...
Old 10-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #94
Hoptup Jalop

looking fantastic!!.....can you give some more details/pics of the header and how you will attach it to the window frame. what kind of wood is that and how did you connect the 2 pieces together...biscuit, strap etc...

scott
Old 10-11-2010, 01:04 AM   #95
brandoni

Wow fantastic build. I can't believe I didn't see this before.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #96
Orangecurtain
BANNED

Keep it going man!!!
Old 10-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #97
Tin Can

WOW, you are flying on this build
Old 10-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #98
Yaril
Alliance Member

thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoptup Jalop View Post
looking fantastic!!.....can you give some more details/pics of the header and how you will attach it to the window frame. what kind of wood is that and how did you connect the 2 pieces together...biscuit, strap etc...

scott
plan to go get a latch from a marina to latch em together, more pics on that when it happens. no biscuits here a simple flat metal to secure the two on the inside and a plate on top to again tie them together and begin the center bow.

sedan with vert doors has required a few more modifications to make it look "right". one of those is the vert doors have a round edge while sedans have a step for the stainless window trim. so 1-1/4" diameter tube sliced into a quarter then welded to the rear quarter, now it will flow like a vert. see roof skeleton pic below for completed edge.

Paul Bragg was nice enough to tell me all the dimensions of the material he uses when doing a padded top. my local metal shop had what i needed except for the main piece, the window profile metal. so more slicing, just like the tube for the rear quarters this time i used 1-1/2" square tube and sliced about 7' of it to create the "U" channels i desperately needed to begin the padded top frame.

the profile had already been worked out in cardboard, so i simply traced that to my metal table and welded some tubes to create the rear curve. then one U channel at a time got welded to the table, heated and bent around the form.

finally the top begins to take shape. the two channels are secured to the wood header and tack welded to the body so they wont move. the center strap is secured to the wood header too and some 2x4 is used to work the center crown shape of the roof.

i used 1/2" electrical conduit and bender to create the cross bows. it was easier to use the bender to create consistent bends. i chose to make the bows in two halves. there where a few trial pieces before getting to the final shape.

taking care to measure twice and weld once all the bows where spaced out and tack welded in. making sure that the crowns at the two sides match. also trying to keep the center crown just a bit higher. even though there will be many layers of material before the final top goes on so the metal skeleton is a rough shape still able to be worked, however i want it to be as close as possible to the shape im looking for.

if you look closely you'll see the rear quarter window edge with the pipe treatment in the works. also the door opening is being reworked on the sedan side to match the vert door.

i got this heavy roll of white paper, so why not. its easier to visualize with the metal frame wrapped than not. so i taped white paper and sharpied some of the stitching on the top. its a bit misleading because there is no padding and the paper does not stretch at all, but it helps visualize and find any problems before its too late.

please excuse the body work. i am in a time crunch so there is body work going on already so i am hustling to wrap up all the welding / fab work so that my pal can get the car as straight as possible for its shiny paint.

in this pic its a bit tough and the one above too, i think the padding will soften the rear hump but sometimes i think it might need to come down a hair? sitting inside is ok for the front seat. the back seat wont be terrible so long as your not my height of 6' then you'd have to slouch in the chair a bit. ill sleep on it, see what it looks like tomorrow before wrapping up the back part of the skeleton.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #99
38standard
Grenade Inspector

I love the top profile..
Old 10-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #100
shoebox1950

wow this build is looking great!
online   Reply With Quote