Register now to get rid of these ads!

“Tech:” How to Create a Beautiful and Convincing 1950s Engine Compartment

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bigcheese327, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Well, I’m probably a snob when it comes to this, but to me nothing ruins the vibe more of a well-done car more than an engine compartment or an interior that’s way out of time with the theme of the vehicle. I’m not going to cover interiors, though, as we’ve got some excellent upholstery guys who’ve already done that for us several times.

One thing I’m good at, though, is detailing mechanical things – like engine compartments and suspension components. With the growth in popularity of non-Chevrolet powerplants in hot rods, we’ve seen the vintage vibe in the engine compartment growing, but all too often that vibe is disturbed by angular, 1980s looking components from aftermarket suppliers. The argument has been made that non-fifties mills (Small Block Ford or Chrysler, 400-455 Olds and Buick, etc.) cannot be dressed up without spending big bucks in the limited retro-style aftermarket. I believe, however, that it’s not hard to give your modern mill a vintage look using a smattering of eBay sourced vintage parts and a little bit of creativity.

So, let’s take our example car. This 1956 Pontiac Star Chief I posted in Brandy’s post (if you haven’t read that one yet, you should, and then go beat the bushes to find her a ’55-’60 Pontiac V8). It’s a gorgeous car; I love the blue and white, the whitewalls, the stock interior, and even the Oldsmobile wheel covers. It’s powered by a 421 (bored to 428) and a T-10 four-speed.

[​IMG]

With a set of mags or chrome reverse wheels it would look the part of a 1960s street racer (particularly with square-back buckets in front, but I promised I wasn’t going to start talking interiors). However, running wide-whites and wheel covers, it has a distinct fifties vibe that I’d want to preserve under the hood if it were my car.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the engine compartment would be well at home in a Trans Am, but it could be better for 1956. The Edelbrock valve covers are the biggest problem (stock exhaust manifolds would also help the vibe, but for we are hot rodders after all). Fins would give us a great sixties feel but for the doo-wop era we need stamped steel and script.

Strato-Streak valve covers may or may not bolt on to the Edelbrock heads he’s using (which need the logo ground off and to be painted, I might add) but it would not be a major stretch to have a local sign-painter recreate this logo on a replacement factory-type valvecover (or the stock valve covers off your Trans Am parts car since this is low-budget hot rodding and we’re probably pirating a 400 from somewhere). “Mushroom” type breathers (ala stock Big Block Chevrolet) are available in both chrome and plain steel and would look very factory.

[​IMG]

Finally, with dual quads in a fifties car, we have some options ranging from very expensive, to very demanding, to downright cheap. For 1956 there actually was a dual-quad option on the 316” Pontiac V8, so the well-off amongst us can simply scour the earth for an original aircleaner assembly. The very talented amongst us can produce a reasonable facsimile of the notorious “bat wing” aircleaner design, but set up to use modern paper elements. Finally, those of us with limited cash and talent are not without options. My suggestion is to spend some time on eBay and find a pair of old dog-dish hubcaps for your brand of engine (or the suggested brand, if we’re trying to make a 318-LA series look like it came from a DeSoto), some more time in the parts store finding air cleaner elements that fit them, and a little more time in the shop cutting out some sheetmetal bases for our homemade Corvette-style dual-quad aircleaners.

[​IMG]

Those of us running a four-barrel carburetor might consider adapting a dry element to one of the multitude of oil bath aircleaners still floating around for a variety of 1950s engines. My only caution here, however, is to carefully consider using something other than the mid-fifties Cad/Olds/Packard unit, as it is swiftly becoming as big a cliché as red wheels and whitewalls and looks odd on engines where it didn’t come stock.

2. Slide

Slide

No joke. It's like when the radio station takes a really good song (or not)... and you dig it the first 326 times you hear it... then it gets run to death so you don't like it anymore... or at least you ignore it.

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Don't forget about that radiator hose! Yuck!

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The blue spark plug wires make me cringe.

I do disagree about the finned valve covers (NOT THE ONES ON THE MOTOR) I love the early finned valve covers from the day. This is a 1955 Edelbock catalog. They were available.

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Sorry, I got rushed toward the end and meant to mention rubber hoses and black wires (I did make it to class on time, though). As for the finned valvecovers, I'm a huge fan myself, but it seemed to me with this car he was really going for more of a hopped-up stocker look, so the script seemed more appropriate. I definitely would not turn up my nose at fins on this car.

6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I was going to ask for pic of early styled sbc, as I want to have an engine that fits the look (hence my question about Magneto's on another page).

I am wanting a sbc that looks like it was souped up inthe 58-62 time frame.. would love to see others pics..

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Here's the "1955 crate motor 265" look, and the "early Turbo Fire hopped up in '59" look, both off the HAMB...

Attached Files:

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

good post, there was a post a while < a way while? > back about the same thing with sbc's its worth a search, the pix might be long gone as they seem to do but there seemed to be a good amount of info presented as i recall.

tim

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Big cheese, I have the crate motor pic saved as it has the correct look. In fact I have started building my sbc in a sinilar fashion but decided I wanted more shiny parts on it.. SO now I am looking for more pics of early mills with chrome parts on it. what items were plated/ polished and which were not.

pulleys, brackets, generators, ?

10. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I have a 350 in my 54 chevy and ive been looking for an air cleaner that would look like the V8 swap was done in the early sixties? What would be some good places to get repo air cleaners , I might even put some old 265 or 283 stickers on it.

11. krooser

krooser

Thanks Big Cheese for a great post...this topic REALLY needs to be covered. If you read my profile it sez "Recovering Chevy Lover".....it could also read "hates 350's with tall Moroso valve covers in 50's rides"....Thanks again.

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Chrome-plated coil and generator covers were and are available. So were polished, finned, remote "beehive" oil filters (the big orange thing on the "crate engine" pic is the '55 stock oil filter as the SBC casting didn't gain an oil filter boss until '56). Also, I'm fairly certain that polishing the Edelbrock valve covers in the above ad (too bad the current ones have that funny "rainbow" lettering on them instead of the "block" shown) and the OE Corvette valve covers is acceptable for the period.

I don't recall ever having seen chrome plated brackets of a 1950s period engine, but then again I'm not sure I'd have noticed (I'm more of a blasted/painted kind of guy). Chrome on engines in the fifties was a lot more about what you could afford to plate than what you found places. I'm sure it was done at least once, though, as the technology was there and hot rodders/customizers were innovative, to say the least, in those days.

13. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Yup gotta love a man like that!;) I still have my Strato valve covers. My sbc in my 58 Chev is a (gasp) crate motor....no no I didn't drop the dough on that. But I dressed her up in finned valve covers, mushroom breathers, a stock carb (I like them so :p ) and other bits and pieces. Looks better now, but if anyone wants crate motor valve covers---you can have mine!
    x
    Brandy

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

[​IMG]

OE-type tri-five aircleaners are going to be pricey, either original or reproduction. By the early sixties, however, aftermarket aircleaners for four-barrels were becoming more and more common, so something like a Stellings (see above) would be appropriate, along with the aforementioned finned valvecovers.

The 1959-on aircleaner can be had much more cheaply from eBay and other sources. Again, they're repopped, but you'll pay for them...

Attached Files:

15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Ah! A girl after my own heart. The first change I made when I got my ride was to swap out the Edelbrock chrome valvecovers for stamped steel orange ones with decals.

Oh, and as for Moroso valve covers... they're a standing joke between my father and I!

16. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I have seen lots of air cleaners out there and after a while they all start to look the same, I want to find something that really pops. That red and white 56 chevy was in a issue of rod and custom not too long ago , its a great looking car.

17. I always like things to be pretty straight forward with engines. For example, if I wanted to do a vintage sbc, it would just have a set of old chevrolet of corvette valve covers. Just like the rest of the car, if it was made after the period you are going for, dont put it on the car.
    -Dean

18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Big Cheese, I guess I should add another note about my build, I am going after a show car appearance from that area (something you would see in the little pages or at one of the big shows during the 58-62 time frame.. not the average hotrod most guys were building Looking thru some books on the era, it seems anything that would unbolt would get chromed. i have a set of 6 fin cal customs that are being finished up by the plater and plan to run a detailed 6x2 intake (or a dual carb with WCFB carbs and early louvered corvette aircleaners).. Going with a generator (actually an alternater that looks like a Generator) and have been thinking a Joe Hunt Magneto (fake) dist if Magnetos were used then for the hopped up look.....

19. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Nice post-

here's another thing. . . black oxide bolts, not chrome.

Somebody on here runs a completely stock looking but really clean 50's sbc but i forget who. . . anyway, it puts chomed out motors to shame . . . and changed the direction of the next motor i am building

20. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I originally started down that road with mine, but when I found the 6 finned valve covers cheap and they needed help and welding of a cracked bolt hole, I decided they were getting the shiny treatment, now I am torn about what else to make shiny (if anything). I have chrome scoops for the 6 carbs (and soon to be 6 smaller version of the above aircleaners)

21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The "crate motor 265" engine shown in BigCheese327's photo is mine. You can see in the picture a little plating (linkage), some gloss black paint, and (most importantly, to me) the gloss black script on the valve covers. At the end I put on one of Dave Wolk's beautiful Stelling & Hellings repops (like the picture BigCheese327 put up, the motor with dual quads), and it looks very nice.

Unquestionably, the rule for show cars in the '60s was "if it unbolts from the car and fits in the tank, chrome it". I thought that was unnecessary, not to mention 'spensive, and I found a cool factory publicity picture of the introductory SBC car-show motor which I copied. I think that if you pick two or three compatible colors -- not too contrasty -- and paint all the external parts separately, it can look very detailed and "custom" without having to spend a fortune.

22. RagDoll

RagDoll

Thanks for the great thread! Here's a pic of my engine as it sits right now (minus the original air cleaner,but complete with eyeball painted by previous owner.) I haven't done a thing to it, so thanks for giving me food for thought when I get around to it. So far I have been mirroring Brandy's project woes. I bought a 4 door at the same time, and she is almost road worthy. (I hope I am not following her with the trashed engine.)

Attached Files:

23. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

This passed weekend I bought a running `64 Ford 260 V8, complete with bellhousing,clutch and 3-spd trans. I wanted this engine because it has alot of goodies on it like the early oil fill neck timing cover. It even came complete with the original 12v generator and bracket. Someone has changed the intake to a later (1968) 289 cast iron 4v intake and Holley 600 carb. It also has old style M/T cast aluminum valve covers, I'll use those on another engine since I have plans to run this 260 with the early stamped steel factory units. I thought I did pretty well for $200 total.

24. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I tried to keep my engine compartment looking fairly "period correct" when I put the new motor in my shoebox back in August...in this case I was shooting for about a '62 or so look, but you can dress a small block to fit just about any time frame you'd like.

The problem I was faced with, is that I've got some decidedly non-period correct parts I wanted to use. I think the key is to try to keep those parts from standing out, and to play up the trad stuff to a degree. For example, in this picture there's a MSD Pro-billet distributor, Trickflow Aluminum heads, a (low mount) 1-wire alternator, new Edelbrock carbs, etc. But what you immediately see at a glance are the polished Vette valve covers with Moon breathers, chrome air cleaners, ram's horn manifolds, oil fill tube, etc...

[​IMG]

It may not be the best example of a "traditional" small block, but I'm happy with it. :)

kidcampbell71, LTM75110 and LOU WELLS like this.
  25. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I'd say you've done quite well. The low-mount alternator is a good trick. I think painting the case eggshell black would also be a good trick to make it "disappear" in the engine compartment.

Really, it's quite easy to get the vintage look for any engine with just the right valvecovers, aircleaner(s) and exhaust manifolds. Oh, and avoiding HEI is helpful too.

26. Slide

Slide

Agreed, but there's also the thing about running parts you already have, as I have done on my car. I don't pretend that my engine compartment (or any other part of my car, for that matter) is remotely "period correct", but here's a suggestion for hiding things that are not correct for the period you are trying to look like: On my HEI, I got one of those snap-on plastic covers, and attached a small old hubcap and a bullet via threaded rod. Now the whole thing snaps onto the top of the HEI, and kinda sorta disguises it. Works pretty well with the Olds wheelcover as a air cleaner lid.

Attached Files:

27. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great thread!
    I'd like to see this one go into techomatic with alot of more information added from everyone!
    Here is the past thread on adapting a later model smallblock to a more 50's-60's look. Not sure but I don't think this one ever got into techomatic.

Here's the thread but I am going to attempt to add the whole thread here to have everything in one group.

Tucks post

Making a new 350 look like a 57 small block? TECH QUESTION
    #1 | 12-07-2003, 08:12 PM
    Tuck
    Tech Editor

Making a new 350 look like a 57 small block? TECH QUESTION

I've been wondering about this for a while...

how is it pulled off... what do you need to look for or change to pass a 350 for a early small block?

I'm curious... Say you start out with a 350 short block all NEW, Flat top pistons, RV cam, Double roller chain etc... and want to make it LOOK early.

I would run a 4 or 6 carb intake...

I don't know any of the tell tail things to look for, how do you set them apart?... School me.

Tuck

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not an expert but i think you'd have to fill the holes in the heads that are used to mount the alternator and other brackets. Also mount the generator off the exhaust manifold, ramshorns were first in 57 I think. You've got the intake covered. Short waterpump with screws holding the plate on the back, not bolts, if you want to get technical. I don't know how you can get away with using staggered bolt valve covers on late heads, maybe an adapter plate? Points distributor. I also don't think they had spin on oil filters. Thats all i can think of right now off the top of my head.

Billly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shooting for a '57 look? Gotta get rid of the engine mounts on the side of the block and mount it from the front. Valve cover bolt pattern will need to be staggered. Gonna need a road draft tube (probably tough to fake). Oil fill tube in front of the intake. "Hollow" harmonic balancer.

Screws behind the waterpump and on the timing chain cover. '57 did have a screw on oil filter.

Just a few to get us started....

JH

Harrison

[​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll want an intake with the oil filler tube on the front.

No PCV valve or at least hidden in the back.

Short water pump accesories on the front.

Small distributor, HEI is out.

Plain valve covers without any holes.

Maybe even a thin type harmonic balancer off like a 307 or something if you really want to get serious about it.

A bolt together type fuel pump, not one of the later crimped together ones.

Ramshorn exhaust manifolds if you're not going to run headers.

Chevy orange.

Hillbilly Hotrodder

Oh yea, flat head screws to hold the vale covers &amp; timing chain cover.

Billy

doubt you could use the new heads cause the new valve covers (post 1986) bolt on from the top. Also the old heads had triangles or squares or humps on the end, some had double hump or "camel" humps (off of 327's I believe). There were "Power Pack" heads in 1957 too. Any 57 that came with a 283 &amp; 4 barrel would have those I believe so it might be easiest to get a set of those and the valve covers if it has to look THAT original.......Briggs

oh yeah, the 57's had oil fill tubes from the manifold so youd either have to get the multi-carbed intake with the fill tube or use non period-correct valve covers with a hole and a cap for oil fill. I think id suggest a trailer queen so you dont have to change the oil cheaper too

briggs&strattonChev

The early engines also had a canister oil filter. It was a heavy metal cylinder with a long bolt up through the center and contained a replacable cardboard/paper cartridge inside.

Frank

fab32
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorta doing this halfass'd with my late 60's 327... adding the draft tube of my own concoction, using script valve covers, with nuthin drilled into 'em, got an intake with a filler, and I've already got the smoov camel hump heads and ramshorns. Of course, I'm using a bran spankin new edelbrock 4bbl, and I could care less about my side motormounts... but hey, anything is better than my cheesy chrome valvecovers!

burndup

Why not make it look like a '59 small block? That way you can use side motor mounts and non-staggered pattern valve-covers.

Bigcheese327

Cheese, that's where I'm going with mine. Not a far trip though. It is a stock 283 from a '60. Still had all its original goodies on it.

JH

Harrison
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget ram-horn exhaust manifolds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have several pair of "power pack" heads, and I've thought about modifying them heavily for some serious flow numbers (larger valves [including chamber work necessary to unshroud them], MAJOR porting, possibly even using some epoxy,etc...)I figuer for the most part I'll I'd be out is a Helluva lot of time, so what the hell!?
    BUT, I'm lazy, so they're still sittin on the shelf. The only thing I couldn't figure out was a good way to get any decent flow out of those gay ass air filter assemblies...

Hot Rod To Hell
    Old School HAMBer

Here is my attempt. Early Valve covers, ram horn exhaust manifolds. I have a 57 water pump to add later. You'll never fool every one. You need to decide how far you need to go to satisfy yourself. I'd like to run a generator, but the canister oil filters are too much of a PITA for me. I'm using the side motor mounts too. If you get too fanatical you might as well get the real thing. I'm shooting for the 50's flavor. If that makes me a poser...oh well.

tommy

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuck,

I don't know how much they'd cost to ship, but I have a set of early staggered bolt pattern heads... Lemme know if you're interested...

Ed
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a real 57 vette motor outside sitting in the truck. Tomorrow after I get home from jury duty, Ill try to snap a couple pics... But yeah, staggerd valve covers, no side motor mounts, and an intake oil filler tube are the things most will notice right off the bat. Not to mention you have to run a generator. What is it going in? -J.

hey tuck, if you get those staggered valve cover bolt heads i think i could line you up with some cal custom finned covers!!!, anothe thing you will have to do is put the pcv valve in the oil fill/breather tube because the late model blocks aint got the hole behind the back of the intake, i did it on my p/u when i switched out that knock"en 283

titus
    Look in the new issue of Kar Kulture Deluxe. My coupe is featured in there and I made my 350 look like a 283. all I did was transfer all the 283 stuff to my 350. Some people see what I did and others are fooled. Not a big deal just getting all the parts. You can by a new harmonic blance so you do not have to use an old one unless its good.

Hot Rod Ron
    And here's my attempt...

It's a 79' 4 bolt out of a pickup. She was covered in ugly brackets. Anyone who knows what there lookin for would know it's a later motor. She runs great and looks good enough for me. I used rams manifolds off a 57' Chevy. Edelbrock C362 intake (little later than your after). This picture shows the Barnett Engineering red rag. Drove it to Austin and couldn't find a filler tube before the trip. Edelbrock valve covers, later vintage pattern of course. Ditched the alternator. Used a Mallory YC 310 HP distributor. Distributor was a pain to set up, but I love the way it looks and works. Short water pump, means you have to change the upper and lower pulleys. I didn't do the front mount on this one and didn't fill any holes. Some day, I'll rig up a draft tube, strictly for functional purposes. Not precise, but it's on the road!!!

Crease

[​IMG]

If you're not too worried about getting the stagered valve cover bolt pattern try to find a set of mid to late '60s "Camel Back" heads. I have a set of '67 "Camel Backs" that do not have any of the accessory holes drilled in the heads. I've been told that the heads I have are the '60s equivilant to the new Vortec heads.

54_Nailhead
    I have a '66 327. I replaced the stock heads with 265s, early 'Vette valve covers (staggered bolt pattern), I changed to a spin-on oil filter but added an alum. finned cover and used a generator. Unfortunetly, I forgot about NOT using side mounts when putting the frame together. Oh well, it fools a few people.

Donzie

[​IMG]

57 definitely did not have a screw on oil filter.

Shoe

Does anyone have any more pics~

Jkustom that would rule~
    The visuals really help! I can tell the diff between every flathead with my eyes closed but a small block chevy I've been closeing my eyes at them for years... ha!

Thanks for all the info~ edmurder and titus ill get ahold of ya, thanks for the shop tour yesterday! You guys have some kick ass projects underway~

Thanks for all the info guys~
    Tuck

I knew you would come around someday.

Tuck

I know root... this "idea" is slotted for my first car...(my chopped '49 ford) just to show how hard I've been thinking about this.

Tuck
    This is just about perfect...

JH
    Harrison

Copyright 2005: The Jalopy Journal & The HAMB - Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in.

28. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

My Chevy period motor. THE BILLET PULLEYS ARE TEMPORARY!!
    ram horns, Cal custom VCs w/Edelbrock breathers, Fenton 3-2's and Chrysler converted Mallory dizzy. This is what I remember a well dressed SBC was wearing in the late 50s-early 60s. Although apple green wasn't a popular color choice.:D

29. ray

ray
    from colorado

now all you need to put it over the edge of "period" is some copper paint for the fuel lines, that would nail it!

30. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Bass, you did a great job. Like you mentioned you have to decided how far is far enough.. What are those aircleaners... I like them,

Powermaster is getting ready to hit the streets with a Alternator that looks like a Generator. which will be nice.

Question: Being that I am going to run an Edelbrock 6x2 intake with 97, do you guys think the intake would look OK/good/ shitty painted the same color as the block. I really do not want to polish or plate it but have been thinking of painting it so it would blend in and the carbs (natural finish) and chrome scoops (insides painted to match) stand out (and the shiny 6 fin valve covers). I am planning on painting the car either 57 or 59 Chevy Copper (factory color) and the block to match