Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rims for wheels...worse yet "Rimz" I had a kid tell me all about his "Pop's" (Popz?) MBG with wire rims. I axed (!?) him what the spokes were made of. He kinda cocked his head to one side and looked at me with a blank look on his face. Roll pan for rolled pan. Roll pan sounds like a cookie sheet. Back in the day (hate that, also) we rolled the pans.
    The confusion that surrounds axel vs. axle, brakes and breaks. Origional (spell check is your friend). The whole chopper/bobber thing. Suicide shift (no such thing). Awesome and amazing. Old school or............I can't take it "Old Skool." Just looking at it in print gives me the runs.

2. Never for one moment said it was wrong.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I said "This another one that us down under folk can't figure out.
    A drug is a drug here.."

3. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

"How much be dem rims?"

"$100 a piece, and I'll throw in the centers for free".

4. Hot_Rod_Joe

Hot_Rod_Joe

"Won't Last" always seems to be a strange choice of words to me... ;)

5. Ob1

Ob1

How about the slang "repop"?

How many small explosions can a part take?

Repro...so much better

6. Hmm.
    I thought that was loosening.
    Who really knows.. :eek:

7. Full race and 3/4 race cams were genuine terms back in the old days of Hot Rodding.
    Even I remember them well.:D

8. afan

afan
    from michigan

Over 150,000 invested ,will take 25,000 . "never raced"

9. "No rust ever"

10. deto

deto

I enjoy the word "roller". It usually describes an international truck cab stacked on an S-10 frame with a tbi motor dumped on the front of it with wheels placed at all 4 corners. They are usually willing to sell it minus the wheels if they have been rattle canned rat rod red

11. YES.
    Back in the days when there were not 3 thousand different cam choices for every engine, "3/4 cam" and "Full Race" were legitimate terms that allowed you to describe what you were building, and what sort of cam you were wanting to buy.
    Those were the words you used, and those were the words that also identified the cam that had been ground for you.

P.S. above I meant to say "3/4 race" cam, which was the actual name for it although it sometimes was spoken of as a "3 Quarter cam".
    (not three-fourths, but a THREE-QUARTER CAM or THREE QUARTER RACE cam)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  12. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

I stand corrected and its not the only thing I have learned while surfing this site.

13. Hmmm.....I would have guessed that she was a Chinese professor.

14. You are correct sir. Never heard it used though.. , and totally incorrect when used as "loosing a race because my 383 "stroker motor" came apart.:eek:

15. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

------------------
    And the 383 stroker probably came apart
    because it had 2-4bbls and the "duel" quads
    started fighting each other!!!!:eek::eek::D

Mart3406
    ================

16. No one noticed because we never care what you say :D

I asked if she's Chinese, because I have a thing for oriental women :eek:

17. Not misused, but a gripe about sellers.

If you are selling something (let's say a tach) for big bucks, I hate reading "no idea if it works". Ok, if it needs a sender, and you don't have one, I understand that. If it is a modern style that doesn't need a sender, get off your lazy ass and TEST IT, otherwise sell it cheap.

:cool:

18. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

I agree.A "classic" car is any car that was either expensive or low production car built up to '48.Thats the definition from CCCA.

19. samurai mike

samurai mike

so do you have an outboard engine on your boat?

20. .45

21. JUST.

It just needs patch panels. It just needs paint. Interior. Engine overhaul. restoration.

Following along in second place: only.

But, I love hearing about how it just needs thus-and-such. I'll respond with a statement that it must take a lot of money.

"Oh, no, all the patch panels you'll need will ONLY run you $500 dollars."

"Okay," I'll counter, "but it's a ton of work to put 'em in."

"My bodyman (note: this mouth-breathing inbred has his own body man? WTF? Is he the next Floyd Cotterpin?) says he can do it easy."

Uh, so it's an easy job taking only five hundred in parts if you're a skilled bodyman working in a well-outfitted shop. Doesn't sound like a "JUST" job to a guy living in a condo, who does all of his own work out in the condo parking lot.

Thought: the window of "just" gets really, really inclusive when you're the seller.

Agreed. I also view any business with a little Jesus fish on its signage or business card in much the same light as your "Thanks and God Bless" verbage. In my experience, there are a number of people (not all of 'em... don't get all spun up here - I'm talking about people who are looking to capitalize on another guy's religious views) who profess to follow Christ, who will assrape you in a heartbeat, and wipe their dicks on your new shirt when they're finished.

Also, calling high-performance stuff "Hi-pro". Is that like high in protein? Uh, do I really want to know any more about this protein snack? Hmmm... thought not!

A number of guys have mentioned the prior condition ("ran when parked", "was like new")... I'll jump on the bandwagon. They ALL used to run, right? Even Yugos.

Another one: "noss", which rhymes with "hoss". Sounds ghetto as fuck to me.

And post it again on all of 'em once a week. For a long, long time.

-Bill

22. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I was thinking the samething, those were terms used in the 50s and 60s, all meant somethimg. Been there done that.

23. I hate to say this, but I have had to use the word "pumpkin" a few times to explain to a few people what I was referring to when they didn't understand. It did feel strange to say it.

And- bad spelling of simple everyday words does make you wonder about the level of the person's basic comprehension and their other abilities.

They're have ben to many times when it just takes two long too figur out watt somone is tring to tell you. When you thing you finely have it deciphered, you can never be two shur it atualy maches what they really meant too say.
    Lissening too someone muddering an mumbling is nothing compard to tring to read words that arent relly words there speling can leave them badly misunderstood miss a few commas or periods and it becomes a reel chalenge
    Please don't mumble or use make believe words if you want to be understood.

There was one truck accessories shop near here that had "pin stripping" on it's sign for a couple years before they discovered they were being laughed at. (Or do they really strip the pins off your car?)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

One of my many pet peeves is people on the HAMB complaining about spelling. I believe this site exists for the exchange of ideas related to Traditional American Hot Rods. It is not a spelling bee. If spelling was thought to be important the founders would have spell check. Anyway 50 years ago when I was in school I noticed the girls were good at spelling and home ec. I was good at Math and metal shop. Thought there was a lesson there.

25. I'm not that into complaining about spelling.
    But there is definitely a perception of that persons ability
    to comprehend things properly when a simple task of spelling
    (or using spell check at least) is beyond them.
    Most bad spelling is either laziness or using crap text language too much.
    Typos? They are another kettle of fish.:)

26. rcr81

rcr81

Friggin hilarious....non of the car guys I know give 2 shits about spellin

One that always gets me is " all original...nom, new paint...wtf!

27. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

[My pet peeve is the overused and many times incorrectly applied word "billet"[/QUOTE]

Here is a prime example I can't get to copy and paste.

It's on e-bay

<TABLE class=sp1 cellPadding=3 summary="Other item info"><TBODY><TR><TD class=inf_lab vAlign=top noWrap align=left width="1%">Item number:</TD><TD vAlign=top>40014419476

A Billet LED Iluminated Race Switch panel

Chrome RACING SWITCH PANEL fuel water pump cooling fan

Just say NO to overpriced, cheap looking plastic race panels.

This is a super nice heavy duty hand machined racing panel.

You'll know your components are on at a glance because the LED illuminated rings.

The push button start set-up is the easiest to wire of any on the market. The latching billet "on button" turns on your accessories, and the momentary "start" button cranks the ignition for as long as you hold it. No expensive electronic ignition timers needed!

Comes in 3 modular units so they can be stacked, arranged sideways as shown, or mounted in whatever custom set up you want.

It is available in several LED colors, including white, red, blue, orange, and yellow. This auction is for white illumination. Please e-mail me to check on availability of other colors.

WTF... looks like a piece of chromed flat stock to me and WTF is a "latching billet on button"?

Billet Aluminum Parts by George Lyle

<HR SIZE=2>[SIZE=+1]A billet is a simply a bar of metal. "Billet" parts are supposedly machined directly from the bar, without intermediate casting, forging, etc. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]This method of making parts is more wasteful of material and produces weaker parts than other methods. Lots of stress risers and cuts across the grain of the metal. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]So why are billet parts so desirable? In racing, many custom (one-only) parts are made from billet (the quickest way to make them) so many of the "trick" parts on a race car were "billet". Folks soon learned to associate "billet" with "trick" and the idea spread. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Many so-called "billet" parts really aren't made from billets. They are made from castings and have all exposed surfaces machined to look like a billet part. There's really no difference in quality or strength when this is done...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]All in all, the stock parts are probably stronger! [/SIZE]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

28. Sure, but the usual places for what car, in which location?

29. strawberry

strawberry

president and leader of the free world , that really gets my goat,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.