Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. racer5c

racer5c

A.J. Watson's latest restoration, this car was narrowed and run as a sprinter or modified in Texas, Watson widened the frame back out and did a beautiful restoration

Attached Files:

2. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

Yeh, but Indy had, well forget it I can't pronounce their names anyway.

3. racer5c

racer5c

Talked with the current owner of this Bowes car, asked him if it was the car Jimmy Bryan took his Rookie test in at the Speedway, he said "yes the Viking Trailer Spl." it's the same car that is in my avatar, it belonged to my dad when Bryan drove it

Attached Files:

4. racer5c

racer5c

Mel Kenyon

Attached Files:

5. racer5c

racer5c

air starter sticking out the side of the Novi

Attached Files:

6. racer5c

racer5c

Jim Graybeal's car I got to drive at the Mile, thanks again Jim! photo Courtesy of Harley Gene

Attached Files:

7. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

To Al and Doug, No I had not seen that article. I did know Frank was restoring the car. Thanks for posting that. Great article it brought back lots of memories. I have to tell you that Fiore family is a CLASS ACT. Denny Z

8. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Yep only 9 American drivers in the 500 this year......what's wrong with this picture? Denny Z

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A little more info on the car can be found here, I believe:

http://www.texasopenwheel.com//index.php?showtopic=435

10. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Gotta say: 'I had previously only seen a few pics of Jim Graybeal's restored sprinter and I really liked the job he did. But, seeing that pic on the Indy Mile, I'm more impressed with it than ever before. The cars' not "over-done" like some do with the over-sized rubber, etc. And that is just the coolest looking little front nerf bar I've seen on a midget or a sprinter, next to Parnelli not running one at all on Aggie's little #98jr. It's right up there with Josh's #49 car and my favorite ever, Wally's Wynns #1. If only USAC would come to their senses and just say, 'OK guys, here's what the cars HAVE to look like!'...........................................................

11. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Racer5c,
    I feel obligated to clear up the story about the Baby Bowes car you saw at the speedway. To the best of my knowlege, the only original part of the car, is the crossmember under the seat. The entire car was designed and built by Paul FitzGerald of CT., about 15 miles from me. I watched the entire project take shape, in fact it was lettered and started at our shop. Jerry Weeks did all the body work. To say the least, it is a beautifull car, but not the real car.

12. OK guys, buckle up. I took these Saturday afternoon at the HammerArt shop. here she is all done and running....
    HG :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VVrroooommmmm

13. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Yes a recreation of the original (using some of the original parts) that was parted out but definitely 'real'. Thanks to Paul's efforts we have a beautiful car to appreciate.

from Fitzgerald Engineering:
    "<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=663><TBODY><TR><TD class=titleGray width="100%">1950 Bowes Seal Fast Special</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD height=143 colSpan=2>[​IMG] A National Championship dirt track car was raced in the Indianapolis 500 mile race in 1950. Driven by Troy Ruttman, the car was known throughout its history as “The Baby Bowes”. During the 1950 season, the car won the AAA 100 mile race at the famous Williams Grove Speedway and also won several pole positions as well as top 5 place finishes. The car was later disassembled by noted racer, Al Hendrix and pieces used in other cars. The remaining pieces were gathered together by Eugene Erickson and Paul FitzGerald. Paul then recreated the car by “back-designing” the car from official Speedway photographs and fabricating all the frame and suspension pieces. Paul created line drawings of the body and fabricated a wooden form for the body. Jerry Weeks of Indianapolis is responsible for the wonderful body. Eugene Erickson has successfully demonstrated the car at noteworthy tracks including New Hampshire International Speedway and at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

14. racin77

racin77

wow, there are some cool pics on here. i have some pics of a car some of you might remember. my grandpa and another guy owned it. it was a stanton car that , al unser jr won his first race in it at manzy. also, sammy and jeff swindell, and ken schrader drove it. i will see if i can find some pics and put them up. it was #77. my grandpas name is robert harrel, and my uncle is darrel dockery.

15. racer5c

racer5c

Well thanks for setting the record straight, but at least for a day or two I got to think it was the same car, It really did give me a feeling of awe thinking it was a car my dad owned and worked on, but I'm glad to know the real truth .

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Roy,
    I came across this and thought it might be of some interest.

Attached Files:

17. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Originally Posted by Harley Gene [​IMG]
    OK guys, buckle up. I took these Saturday afternoon at the HammerArt shop. here she is all done and running....

I was fortunate enough to see this car under construction. The buck alone was a work of art as is the car. The craftsmanship is top notch. I have also seen the "real" Sumar Special" in the MOAS in Daytona Beach.

So now there are two Sumar Specials? Or...? Just food for thought.

Blacki-Suede

18. specintcars

specintcars
    from erie, pa

For more info on the Racing Associates 1963 Watson Roadster that was just restored in A J Watson's shop, go to www.ajwatsonroadster.com
    The car was shown for the first time and driven on the track last week at Indy. I will post pictures shortly from its first laps at the Speedway since 1966 .

19. Fab Shop Frank

Fab Shop Frank
    from costa mesa

yep here 'tis, at my place,.... are there any more pics of it?
    ...maybe with out the guys standing in front of it! :D

thanks

Attached Files:

20. ZOOOM

ZOOOM

I saw the Sumar in the building stages last year. I agree that the workmanship is topnotch. It is incredable.. Nice to finally see the finished product.
    Sure hope Tom brings it to Milwaukee in July!

ZOOOM

21. "Sure hope Tom brings it to Milwaukee in July!"

Tom who?

22. It is with deep regret that I share with you the news from Xenia, Ohio is not good.
    Clarence 'Mutt' Anderson has left to go to his final race. He was 95 and had lived a full life. Arrangements have not been announced yet.
    HG :(

23. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

R.I.P. Mutt. He's probably already exchanging racing stories with Saylor, Nazaruk, Crockett, McCluskey and a whole bunch of others.

24. Warbird7

Warbird7

I've recently listed several old DuQuoin and IRP midget and Champ Dirt race programs with pics in the Misc classified section if anyone is interested.

25. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Any body going to IRP err ORP for the usac sprint show on the 10th? Goodguys is the next day. Was thinking we could get some hot rod parking spots if we planned ahead.

26. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Thank you for posting this sad news. I took the liberty of posting it on the Indiana Openwheel board.

27. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

A few years ago I took the Thomas roadster over to Dick Woodland's in Paso Robles and Don drove up from El Cajon to be reunited with two of the sprinters he owned ,drove and built. Photo 1, Don with the 66 championship sprinter rebodyed by he and Hank Henry now painted in Woodlands colors. Photo 2, The two sprinters together, Photo 3 Don's car next to Willkerson's championship car 67?, shortly after Woodland got it from Carl Olson. These photos were taken before the Woodland museum opened at the Paso Robles airport, a must see!

Attached Files:

28. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

An old time promoter (now diseased) once told me .. TV cameras should NEVER be set up so they show empty grandstands. (It CAN be done.)

29. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

exactly !!!