Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 Fairlane Gasser Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shizzelbamsnapper, May 13, 2010.

1. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Hello all,

I've been a long time lurker and finally decided to take the plunge and turn my wifes cruiser into a gasser.

Here is the victim the day I brought it back from GA. 260 with a 3 on the tree.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shortly after I lowered it, installed a 90 5.0 with Fuel Injection and a 5 speed trans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was going to be a two toned, 17in wheel nice interior cruiser. Well one day I found a 54 Chevy 210 gasser in NC. Talked to the guy, put a down payment on it and made a trip. When I got there the car was WAY worse than any picture he had sent and to top it off no VIN plate. So I made the 520 mile trip back home with an empty trailer and a empty spot in my heart for a gasser. The wife says "Hey turn the wagon into a gasser, you already have the blower motor, rims and car.

So all the work that I had put into the wagon already is out the window, no more disc brake conversion, no more fuel injection. Let the fun begin.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics to come.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"The wife says "Hey turn the wagon into a gasser, you already have the blower motor, rims and car."

"The wife" is very cool. Good luck with your project.

3. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

shall be cool is that your garage? Sounds like she really didn't want the wagon.

4. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Nice...Looks like a very cool project, the body looks great!

5. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

The wife is pretty cool, shes seen quite a few cars pass through my hands over the last 15 years or so. She really likes the wagon but knows I'm not really into the pro touring look.

The garage in the 1st two photos is mine, the shop in the other photos is where I work.

The body is rust free, I had to replace floorboards and now a small section of frame under the strut rod bracket.

6. chris55

chris55

Sounds like its going to be sweet, keep us posted.

7. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Well a few friend and I stayed up till about 4 am getting it ready for the straight axle.

After removing the suspension we had to address the hole in the frame by the strut rod mounting plate.

[​IMG]

Once the plate was removed it was obvious that now was the time to fix it.

[​IMG]

8. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

With some new metal all is good, still need to grind this side. And an action shot of the other side, even though it was solid we decided to do the same so the car would sit level.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Spent the day today fixing the radiator support and raising the rear end. But I forgot the camera, so those will have to wait till tomorrow.

10. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Man, What you are doing is refreshing to me. Too many Thunderbolt clones made out of hardtops . . . This wagon gasser is just enough different to make me interested in your build.
    After two hardtops I had been looking for a wagon - for me it would have been a mild custom family cruiser. Yours will be a RAD Grocery Getter ! Light them up at the nearest Safeway !

11. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Ok, stopped by work today and snapped a few pics.

1st new radiator support and front crossmember.

[​IMG]

Heres a shot of the new frame rail all ground down and waiting for the leaf spring mounts.

[​IMG]

The rear end has been flipped but I think a little longer shackle is going to be needed.
    [​IMG]

Should sit something like this. :)
    [​IMG]

I'm using the Speedway 50" kit with Chevy spindles nice stuff.

[​IMG]

Up next final fitment and welding of front end. I think I'm going to have to remove a leaf or two to get the 24" center-of-crank-to-ground I want.

12. 19swinger70

19swinger70

Hey man - nice build. I used the same kit on my 55 Belvedere, and thought about removing some leaves to get it to sit down a little. I decided against that because I'm putting a Heavy Hemi in mine. So, I ended up notching the areas of the frame where I was going to weld in the spring hangers and shackle brackets. Recessing the mounting points really helped bring the nose down, and I kept the leaves in tact. Of course, after notching, I boxed and reinforced those areas to keep it all strong.

Just thought I would throw out some unsolicited advice!

13. John G.

John G.

Your wagon is coming along quite nicely, any photos of the clutch set up?

14. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Thanks, no photos of the clutch set up here, but I can take some tomorrow at work for ya. What parts are you interested in?

15. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Sweet project. I love oddball stuff. That thing will be cool. Can't wait to see the progress!

16. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Clutch Photos. I used a fox body clutch pedal assembly, and cable. The cross bar is mounted as low as possible on the pedal box and far enough forward (towards driver) to clear brake pedal. Also had to clear the wiper motor linkage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Really looks good so far . I am also going to build a gasser from my 1937 Plymouth p/u ans was looking at the same set up from Speedway . Now that I see what you get , I will be ordering the same set up . Looks to be complete and simply to mount from the pictures .
    Will keep this post to refer too when I do mine .
    Great job and that wagon will be a Bitchin Gasser !

Retro Jim

18. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Thanks,

Theres more to the kit than pictured, you get the steering arm's, rotors, calipers, pads, mounting hardware, wheel bearings and caps, and a tie rod. All you need is a drag link and your set. I just ordered new rear high lift leaf springs (due to 4" difference side to side in the rear) so by the end of the week hopefully it will be sitting high all the way around.

19. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

I like it, looks good and I have not come across anything like it. You are moving along at a good pace.

Jon

20. HATED1

HATED1

nice i will be following this thread as i have a 63.

21. 60 ford

60 ford

Great build I really like the old Fairlanes. Keep up the good work.

22. dirttoo

dirttoo

I too am following this build. I am building a '60 Falcon. I also bought my axle set up from Speedway, however I bought the 46" wide axle. Really complete kit for a good price. Good luck with the build.

23. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Well the UPS man stopped by the house today with another package :)

[​IMG]

New leafs with 3" of extra lift for the rear.

While I was waiting on the springs I decided to do a little work on the engine compartment. Here it is on Tuesday.

[​IMG]

As of today :) Still need to finish the shock tower shave, fix the battery tray area and reinstall the orginal heater box firewall piece (at one point had a mustang heater box with A/C). Then clean up the rest, seam sealer the new stuff and paint it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to come. Up next the new engine........

24. carkiller

carkiller

I used speedway axle kits in both of these.

Attached Files:

25. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Engine is in!!!!!! Won't be long before I'll be bangin gears all over town. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

That just became even more badass!

27. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

Cool build keep us posted on the updates!!:D

28. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Jesus that is fast work. But looking good.

29. 63Compact

63Compact

Had you thought about running fender well headers out through the shock tower holes? Gotta love those old Fairlanes.

30. elricho

elricho

This thing will be killer!!!
    Cant wait to see the end result!!