Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Truckedup

Truckedup

Phil Hill drifing his old school front engine Ferrari at Monoco.Trying to catch him is Grahm Hill in a mid engine BRM

Attached Files:

2. psalt

psalt
    from nyc

3. psalt

psalt
    from nyc

4. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

This Olds or possibly another one, I believe ran on the beach at Daytona. This photo might be back home in Michigan on a one mile horse track?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  5. noboD

noboD

T-head, you have had conversation with the builder and pilot of the recreation that was run a few years ago. He now resides very close to me.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I even went so far as to invite him to join the HAMB, but the fast pace of replies on this site may be too much for the old guy. :rolleyes:

7. ehdubya

ehdubya

These circa 1902 LOC pics of Grosse Pointe look like the track with the Grosse habitat infield. Harry Harkenss Mercedes Simplex and Reimer on Loco leading ? and ?

Attached Files:

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm 99% sure that is an Oldsmobile, a curved dash with the dash cut down for a better aero effect. Just one more reason for noboD's friend to join the HAMB. [​IMG]

9. noboD

noboD

I think he's afraid he would enjoy it too much!! Besides he has an image to maintain. I do send him links from here and force him to read them by asking questions. That's why you and I are known as Lemon Suckers!!

10. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

{QUOTE=noboD}T-head, you have had conversation with the builder and pilot of the recreation that was run a few years ago. He now resides very close to me.

I posted this a while back and here are the details of the winning Locomobile.
    I also was thinking that the Olds Piriate was at what looked like the same track.

noboD; now that you mention it I remember talking with him.

Attached Files:

11. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

The National Auto Museums (Harrahs) 1913 Mercer Raceabout.

Attached Files:

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great news, by the way is my term as President still running or have I been retired?:rolleyes:

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I know there were several MERCER Raceabouts in the Harrah collection, was this one the exMelton car? Found out that the Ken Purdy MERCER was painted maroon and red, like the exHelck car. Is the Heritage Plantation MERCER the old Purdy car with a yellow paint job rerestoration? :)

14. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

I don't know where this Harrah car came from. Yes, the Heritage car used to be Purdys. These photos of it is when it was owned by Fred Schreiter who owned it after Purdy. Theses photos are at The Lars Anderson museum in the fifties. It is a three speed 1912.

Attached Files:

15. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Here is another early photo of Harrh's Mercer with I believe a 1913 Stutz.

Attached Files:

16. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

These are recent photos of a Mercer and a Stutz at the National Auto Museum.

Attached Files:

17. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Ralph DePalma in in Alex Ulmans Mercer at Peter Helcks in 1944 for a VMCCA meet. The Mercer is now in a collection on the West coast.

The third photo shows the Sam Bailey Mercer before Peter Helck bought it in 1949. This photo is also at Helcks in 1944. The L-Head behind it was a racing car that was owned by a private individual from Roebilng NJ. originally. The added on headlights have been removed but it still has the same cowl.

Attached Files:

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Was this car once in the Harry Resnick (sp) Collection in New York? Was it later owned by actor Keenan Winn? [​IMG]

19. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

No neither of them have owned it. Resnick's car is now Lenos, Harry Johnson restored it then it was Resnicks then Gertner and then to Leno. I have never heard of Winn owning one?

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  20. noboD

noboD

I think your position is permanent. No one else wants the job or can PO him as good as you. And believe me I try!

21. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Cameron Peck sold this car at his famous collection auction in 1952 in Chicago. Does anyone know any of its history? Was it ever raced here in the states in the period? Where is it now?

Attached Files:

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

I wonder if it is the car Briggs Cunningham restored as the #33 Jean Chassagne 1919 INDY car? It did crash out and may have been rebodied. The 1919 body is much nicer IMO. :)

23. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

That is a good thought and if so I am familiar with that car. Roughly what year is it?

24. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Here is DePalma in his Ballot entered in the July 5th 1920 Tacoma Classic at the Tacoma Speedway. The car suffered a broken connecting rod before the race and he drove O' Donnells Duesenberg in the race which also broke down.

I found some good information on the ex Cunningham car and it is also a 1919. Small world, if it is the same car I know it well and have helped push start it and have seen it several times.

Attached Files:

25. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Small correction: this is a 1920 3-litre Ballot, and the venue is Speedway, Indiana. :)

26. ehdubya

ehdubya

27. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

The description of the event is indeed from the race in Tacoma. If you have identified the grandstand as Indy then the Washington State website used a photo of DePalma from Indy.

The rest of their photos appear to be from Tacoma and show two tracks. The original one mile track and the board track that followed it.

The reference to a 1919 Ballot is about a different car a few posts before.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  28. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Another photo I have that is captioned, Ralph DePalma in his Ballot (4) at Beverly Hills on the board track along with Jimmy Murphy in his Duesenberg (12).

Attached Files:

29. A few more from Indy 1937/1938
    HG :cool:

[​IMG]

30. ehdubya

ehdubya

The Tacoma public library has a nice collection of well researched Lakewood pics

[​IMG]

7 of 69 - Center the Image... | Order a copy of this image | Recognize the contents?

Collection: Marvin D. Boland Collection Series: G52.1-010 (Unique: 30869)
    Date: 09-00-1914
    Description: Tacoma was known as the Indianapolis of the West when cars roared on the Tacoma Speedway. The race track, located near the site of today's Clover Park Technical College, was in operation from 1912 to 1922. In September of 1914, Tacoma was abuzz with the arrival of the junior racers and their "baby" race cars. The cars, also known as cycle cars, ran on motorcycle engines and could race at 35-50 mph. The junior races were originally scheduled for Labor Day but were postponed because the track on the back stretch was too muddy and dangerous for speed. A practice start was scheduled after the postponement to reacquaint the boys with the method of starting. A true race soon developed as the competitive boys picked up speed trying to best one another. The Seattle Bug, piloted by a boy named "Meagher" and his mechanic, took the curves too fast in the first lap and slid in the mud, crushing the two rear wheels. The two seem at a loss as where to go from here. Tacoma Speedway-064, TPL-6337 (T. Tribune 9/9/1914, pg. 6)
    Subjects: Tacoma Speedway (Lakewood); Racetracks--Lakewood--1910-1920; Automobile racing--Lakewood--1910-1920; Racing automobiles--1910-1920;
    Image type: Black & White
    Rights: See Tacoma Public Library for specific rights and permissions.

Last edited: May 11, 2010