Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

You're right, Hoffman bought it from its 2nd (?) owner, Unverdorben, in 1956 and campaigned it through the early 60s with the original Aggie #98 scheme.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. Ken, when, how & where did Pancho do the dirty deed to the ex-Brenn car,
    mlight9.

3. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

Was doing some searching trying to find some old IndyCar and Sprint Car pics and found this thread. Pretty cool stuff. I know the thread says 69 and older but I have noticed there is a fair amount of 70's stuff in it as well. I have a decent amount of shots from the late 70's that I took out at Ascot Park, if people here are cool with it I will post some.

I will wait and see what people have to say before posting. Plus I have to find out the size limits are and that kind of thing, I want to keep them as big as I can so people can enjoy them.

4. Buildy

Buildy

I am up for Ascot photos! 70s are fine with me.

5. racer5c

racer5c

6. racer5c

racer5c

I am going to buy it just because Barney is on the cover!! I was told who bought his car, I think I even talked to whoever it was but my memory sucks. Barney was a great guy!!!

7. ditto

8. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I don't know.

I wasn't even aware that Jim Reider had bought the car from Ken Brenn &/or campaigned it, etc..

Maybe John Ryan can jump in here & tell us more? I'd be interested too.

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

JMHO- but none of us posting here actually pay for the bandwidth on what is, in reality, a pre 1964 traditional hot rod message board. I'm grateful to Ryan to allow us to have this thread, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't pull the plug on it, even if we stray from time to time, but.............just saying.

10. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

Well one long time poster questions it a bit and another says go for it so I will post a couple and see how it goes.

The first is Jimmy Oskie in the Jack Kendall JFK Sprinter and the second is Dwayne Feduska in his dads sprinter

Attached Files:

11. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

A couple of notes. I was taking a photo class in high school when I took these since I was out at the track every week anyways, dad was running a sprint car out there, I figured I would take some pics.

I have been making a little effort for a while to find some historical racing pics particularly 60's and 70's IndyCar and the same time frame and later Sprint Cars. It hasn't been particularly easy to find, I found this thread and it's the motherlode. Obviously it takes a lot of effort to digitize stuff and not a lot of people go through that effort and then it may not be particularly easy to find a way to share. Since I have gone through the effort to digitize them I figured I would share

12. AugieAscot

AugieAscot

Mrut29, class of '74 here. I spent many high school nights standing near (but not THAT close) that spot at Ascot. I watched many races from atop the white posts in the ground near the water tank in turns 3-4. Man I miss that place. I guess everybody here as a favorite track, Ascot was mine. It didn't need anything, it was perfect. That's my 2 cents anyway.
    From the late '70s. Bobby Olivero in the Tamale wagon in the first pic. Not sure about the second one but I'm sure somebody knows.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

Cool, I'm sure we crossed paths at some point out there. The Tamale wagon was always my favorite since when I was a real youngster they were still running an offy sprinter and I loved the sound of that offy. I've seen through this thread that Bromme used to run an offy as well but I don't specifically remember that car.

I was fortunate that when I got old enough dad let me drive his car for a year and then I spent a couple of years driving for a couple of other guys before moving to professional road racing. I got lucky and actually got a decently budgeted ride in the road racing instead of the low buck stuff I drove in CRA.

14. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

YES YES YES! Post the Ascot pics.. The pre-69 is more of a "preferance" than a "rule"...

(I'm enjoy them cause that's about as early as I can remember in real life, I was born in 76' and was at Dirt Sprint Car races at around a Month old)

At 5 yrs. old (spring of 81') my family went to California to see relatives, and we went to Ascot. The only memories I can still see is the Palm tree's, and a yellow Midget flipping in the turn and clearing the SECOND fence! But, at least I can say proudly that I have been to ascot.

Racer 5c will let ya know if you post something outta line! :D

Joshua Shaw

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  15. Buildy

Buildy

Bad photo of the Brenn 57 I just found on the web.

http://public.fotki.com/daven/auto_racing_pictures/misc_racing_pictures/page2.html

Brenn car is the first one on the second row of photos.

This page contains some sprinters that need IDs I think I see Busson and Scratch Daniels.

Who are the other guys?

http://public.fotki.com/daven/auto_racing_pictures/misc_racing_pictures/

Karl Busson I believe.

http://public.fotki.com/daven/auto_racing_pictures/misc_racing_pictures/ds050314210115.html

Scratch Daniels I think-Allentown?

http://public.fotki.com/daven/auto_racing_pictures/misc_racing_pictures/ds050314205930.html

Tommy Mc Andrews maybe? That is the Cooper`s Sweet 16

http://public.fotki.com/daven/auto_racing_pictures/misc_racing_pictures/ds050314205825.html

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  16. Buildy

Buildy

17. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Looks like Bobby Courtwright in Scat's car Buildy.

18. Buildy

Buildy

19. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

Dean Mast in the #64

20. Buildy

Buildy

Thanks Butch.

Welcome to the HAMB!

21. Jerracer

Jerracer

Postem! I might even be in some as I was a rookie in CRA in '78

22. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

Well I was a rookie in 80, although I only ran a few races in 80 and then the whole season in 81-83 so it's likely we raced each other.

23. John Ryan

John Ryan
    from new jersey

Pancho wrecked at DuQuion in the middle 70's, Jim Reider than had Steve Stapp build him a new car, Pancho than won the Hoosier 100

24. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

Here's a few more from Ascot

in the 0 car is Dan Schuck, a low buck guy in his own car
    the 1 car is the Western Mag car out of AZ I think and Johnny Anderson comes to mind as the driver but I think I'm wrong
    finally Dean Thompson in the Bruce Bromme Sprinter

Attached Files:

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I'm OK with anything that doesn't have a billboard on top of the cage. Like an SCCA friend of mine who claimed not to like sprint cars after I dragged him to a USAC race at IRP in the 80s, "Y'know, they don't look half bad without those goofy wings."

26. Buildy

Buildy

mlight9-Thanks for the ID and also for the Vargo Sprinter update photo!

27. Jerracer

Jerracer

The #88 is Jack Ward. On the subject of Ascot History his brother Dave was probably one of the most knowledgable people around. Unfortunately, Dave passed away a few years ago. I see Jack and Dave's widow Lois at Perris now and then.

28. Jerracer

Jerracer

That "0" car that Schuck's driving was Dave Scott's car, the car I drove as a rookie in 78. It was #82 then.

29. mrut29

mrut29
    from California

Wow you have a much better memory then me. A buddy of mine that used to crew for me told me about a site a while back that had a listing of most of the drivers and owners in CRA from that time frame. I thought I could do most of this off of memory but after looking back through my pics I'm finding there's a whole bunch I'm fuzzy about.