Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. willymakeit

willymakeit

I have took a old tablesaw, cut the teeth off the blade and fastened [glued] sanding /grinding material to them. Works good. You can pick these cheap saws on cl.

2. kensousa

kensousa
    from McHenry MD

Not excactly home made, but home modified. A guy threw this in at the last minute on a tool deal and it's one of my favorites for a garage with limited space.
    Very low profile, with 5 wheels. The 5th wheel is attached to the foot levered cam that raises two of the other wheels off the ground.
    Lift it up, wheel it out of it's storage space, and lower it back down to use whatever's mounted on it.
    I adapted it and mounted two low use tools. A band saw and a sander. Now that it's so accessible, I use both tools all the time.

Attached Files:

3. themodernartist

themodernartist

My modified HF bead roller. Works great, no complaints! and it was cheap!
    Used $49 winch with hand control modified into a foot control. Has hanger rack for foot control that nests into the frame for storing.
    Peace,
    Chaz

Attached Files:

4. chaz that is cool where did you get the winch at?

5. mratt

mratt

There's so many great tools and talented people on this thread,
    the tool I made looks like pre-school. Anyway, I made this spring
    spreader for my Roadster. I had to notch the center for the
    9-inch hump. It seems to do the job. Couldn't imagine installing
    the rear spring (5-inch spread) without it.

Attached Files:

Montana1 likes this.
  6. freebird101

freebird101

7. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

You're not a tightwad....you are from Michigan, where we go big , or go home....in this state if you don't have a welder /lathe / b-port/metal shaping equipment in your garage or "shop", AND the knowlege to use them without being a canidate for next years Darwin awards, Then you are one of the guy's helping your significant "other" do house chores....:D

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That's a nice spring spreader, as far as I'm concerned for something of that nature, the function means more than the looks.
    For the longest, I've tried to figure out a spreader for a transverse spring with reversed eyes on the main leaf.
    All I've ever been able to do with them is to take out the centerbolt, and use a real long one to assemble the leaf package after I hook up the main leaf to the shackles.
    Any body ever come up with anything for that?
    Dave

9. mratt

mratt

Yea, I think this old tool I made would work on reversed eye springs.
    It's kinda bulky, but it worked for my purpose. The bottle jack pressed
    down the spring, and it would slide the ends out. Gotta be careful with
    it. I used it with rear-ends that were mounted to the car, just have to
    set the frame on some wood blocks to get the right elevation.

Attached Files:

10. bjinatj

bjinatj

Nice spreader...

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That should work quite well on reversed spring eyes. Just set it up so that when the eye slides over , it is on the correct level for the shackle to hook up.
    Dave

12. mosimpson

mosimpson

I recently bought a used Miller plasma cutter of Craigslist. I needed a cart for the unit so I built this out of scrap I got from work:

The top tray for the plasma unit

[​IMG]

The legs; I drilled the holes for just for looks

[​IMG]

The legs laid out and clamped for tacking

[​IMG]

The legs after tacking

[​IMG]

Clamping the legs and top tray for tacking

[​IMG]

Here are three pic's of the finished unit. I added some scrap tubing to the rear for the power cord and side for the torch. Four casters on the bottom and a coat of paint and this is what the finished product looks like:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rytang and slack like this.
  13. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

Here is a item that I came up with... I move the vise from the bench to a free standing pedestal which allows 360 degree access. Then I made a flat work station which is easly removable as needed. I cut a piece of 1" thich material, 6" x 12", trued the edges, then drilled a 3/8" hole in the center. This allows a removable hold down clamp. Very handy work center.

Attached Files:

14. themodernartist

themodernartist

Gee Ron,
    I didn't think anyone ever paid attention to anything I had to contribute!
    I have made a set of detailed buildup instructions for this bead roller if you are interested, complete with part numbers and where to purchase these parts.
    The winch came from HF (horrible freight)

Peace,
    Chaz

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Simple to use a regular spring spreader for reversed eye springs. Cut 4 pieces if 1"x1/2' bar stock long enough to overhang the width of the spring by an amount that will allow drilling 3/8" holes in the ends of the bar stock the distance between the inside of the diameters to overhang the spring. Bolt two of these on each end of the spring just inboard (but up against the eye on the top) of the spring eyes and tighten. You now have a place to push against on the bottom of the spring with a regular spring spreader. Use grade 8 hardware for the bolts.
    PM me for directions on where to send the user fee for this idea.:cool::D

Frank

16. Chaz;
    more of us are interested in your bead roller. Why don't you do a
    tech article? :)
    Bill.

17. nexxussian

nexxussian

Does a Williams Metal Machine kit english wheel count as "home made"?

18. bct

bct

[​IMG]
    just completed finish welding this today ....i have some cool cast legs for it but i need to pick them up ....soon

19. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

This winch and control are on sale right now at Harbor Freight for 39$. How did you set up the chain drive drum for the winch ?

20. 340Fish

340Fish

I just back pedalled throught the thread looking for your plans... do I need to know the secret hand shake to get them? :)

21. Definitley post them!

22. Tim G

Tim G

Awesome thread with some amazing home made tools! i was introduced to the metal meet forum around a year ago(thanks Dyce) and have spent a lot of time looking on there a lot in the last week. i have many plans for many tools, some scatch built and some bought and then modified...

so far this is my only pathetic effort... a leather welding gauntlet filled with course blasting grit :D

[​IMG]

23. iagsxr

iagsxr

What do you have on the bottom of the stand so it doesn't gnarf up the floor?

24. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

The pedestal sets on a 3/8" thick rubber then it was bolted to the floor with (4) 1/2 bolts, very stable.
    Noticed you are from Vinton, IA. I was born near Buckingham, small world....

25. bjinatj

bjinatj

Far from pathetic if you made that bowl with it....

26. Tim G

Tim G

Well yeah i guess as it works pretty well for what i wanted to do it's not pathetic, just very humble compared with all the other tools people have made on this thread.

I knocked these up Saturday afternoon, neither have a use in mind, i was just playing aroound...the teardrop one was heading towards the side of a minature bike tank(the edge you cant see is straight), obviously they need a lot of finishing to get smooth. i've never tried that kind of shaping before so was quite happy with the results for a first go :)

[​IMG]

27. bjinatj

bjinatj

I would personally rather see a part that a person beat out on a sand filled glove than a part stamped out on a $500k machine.

That little tank looks really nice... Keep up the good work!

28. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

Here is a cart I built to help elimate trips to the tool box....

Attached Files:

29. bjinatj

bjinatj

My lord those are a couple of beautiful cars in the background....

30. sniperfab

sniperfab

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

e-wheel im in the process of putting together...

rytang likes this.