Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 12-30-2009, 02:23 AM   #41
Rodhotz

Default Re: Warning: Ingersoll Rand Type-30 Compressor Problems!

I bought mine from home depot at least 16 years ago and have not had a bit of trouble out of it other than wearing out the rings in the compressor head. i beat the hell out of it and it has paint and everything else in the motor, still ticking.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #42
Bass
Old School HAMBer

UPDATE:

Steve Meyers just called and is "going to do some checking" to see if he can warranty the motor. So maybe Ingersoll Rand will in fact stand behind their product afterall.

I haven't sent anyone at Ingersoll a link to this thread....I wanted to give them a chance to do the right thing first.

If and when they get me a replacement motor I will edit my post to reflect that. I'm not asking them to give me something for nothing. I just want them to get me a motor that's built to last, as that's what I PAID for when I bought this compressor. This compressor was around $1300.00 new...that isn't chump change to me.

www.basskustom.com

"Practicing the last true American art form."
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #43
Bass
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodhotz View Post
I bought mine from home depot at least 16 years ago and have not had a bit of trouble out of it other than wearing out the rings in the compressor head. i beat the hell out of it and it has paint and everything else in the motor, still ticking.
This is the kind of lifespan I expected out of my IR compressor...and it obviously didn't deliver.

www.basskustom.com

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #44
lostforawhile
Old School HAMBer

It seems to be the motor not the compressor, I wouldn't buy anything with Emerson on it, the only things I even see with that name are low end electronics sold at the local cheap department store, think one step up from the dollar stores. Everything they make is cheap chinese junk. It seems they are selling the same compressor with a cheap motor in one case, and a better motor in another.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #45
NOTCH

That frickin sucks Man! I have a 10 hp 160 gal IR thats been pretty damn good..
I have a Friend thats a Rep for IR , I can give him a ring to find out whats the down lo...
Old 12-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #46
Roothawg
Old School HAMBer

Brian if you don't get any satisfaction, holler at me. I have a buddy that was an electric motor guru, maybe he has some connectiuons to get your replacement cheaper...
Old 12-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #47
Bass
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
It seems they are selling the same compressor with a cheap motor in one case, and a better motor in another.
This is my assumption as well. Although I have to say, even if the motor on the IR compressor I bought may have been "cheap", it certainly was not inexpensive when figured into the total package price.

When I asked my local Ingersoll Rand parts/service guy here in Dallas (Air Solutions) about a replacement motor he said they have a "better" motor that they sell now to replace the Emerson. But he couldn't warranty my faulty motor without it coming out of their pocket, and had me call the corporate customer service dept.

I'm not sure if the 'replacement motor' the local IR guy was telling me about is an Emerson or not, but I'm pretty sure that IR still builds this same compressor with a different better quality electric motor.

If I had known this particular Emerson electric motor had so many problems, I would have bought a different compressor with a better electric motor.

www.basskustom.com

Old 12-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #48
Astrochimp
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
It seems to be the motor not the compressor, I wouldn't buy anything with Emerson on it, the only things I even see with that name are low end electronics sold at the local cheap department store, think one step up from the dollar stores. Everything they make is cheap chinese junk. It seems they are selling the same compressor with a cheap motor in one case, and a better motor in another.

I think that is a different company.

Emerson makes VERY high quality things, and does make stuff in the US.

Link to brands-
http://www.emerson.com/en-US/product...ages/Home.aspx

David
Old 12-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #49
theHIGHLANDER
Old School HAMBer

This is the kind of thing that makes me glad that I do what I do. I buy industrial duty USED or REMAN. Can't go wrong. I did a major score on a 3ph 10hp with 205gal of storage. A body shop closing down several years ago. Speedaire, Baldor 3ph, I switched to a 1ph Dayton "Farm Duty" 10hp when I closed my shop and took it home. No issues and I don't expect any. I'd run a 50hr a week shop on it if I had to. That farm duty motor was a bargain at just under $650 out the door. It was less than their advertised price because I started yackin with the salesman and he informed me of my discount status (past Ford employee).

Good luck on your problem and thanks for postin it for everyone. From here forward I suggest everyone look at used industrial stuff. Last forever and many times 1/2 the price of "box store" stuff.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #50
citcapp
Grenade Inspector

My advise is to stay away from any capacitor start motor above the fractional hp rating of 3/4 they just are not up to the task of running an air compressor or any item used for general or heavy service like painting or running air tools they will overheat and die. When the motor dies on your compressor replace it with a good dayton or other motor. I have been an electrical contractor for over 40 years and have seen these fail time after time. This is one of the reasons you can buy these air compressors so cheap. I have a 5 hp compressor I bought from a service station the closed down over 30 years ago and with normal service it is still going strong. You can often find single phase motors in junk stores or second hand equipment shops and on e-bay or craigs list
Old 12-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #51
bj1k
FNG

It's odd that I would stumble onto this article because I just went through the same thing last month with an Ingersoll Rand air compressor that I paid over $2,000. for ( Model 2475 7 1/2HP ) . It was just 1 1/2 years old and always serviced and cared for and the motor started throwing sparks and blowing fuses. I took the motor off and took it to our local electric motor pros and was charged around $150. to replace some contact switches that were burned and a couple capacitors. I put it back on the compressor and it blew them again. It aparently turned out to be something in the starter box that was defective because Dave Gutterson sent me a complete starter box free of charge and It is working so far. I have to say that the people that I dealt with at Ingersoll Rand were some of the nicest people that I have ever dealt with and very fair, but having this kind of experience with a product that you bought because of dependable past experiences with their products makes you doubt the present quality and I probably wouldn't buy another Ingersoll compressor unless they recall these compressors since I am hearing about all of these other problems. This is what companies don't understand. With the internet, word gets out, whether it is good or bad about their products. I would say that Ingersoll Rand is one of the better companies and I would only hope that they would do the right thing and recall all of these compressors and fix them right.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #52
Thirdyfivepickup
Old School HAMBer

You know... there are a few people on here that I would make acceptions for and help out no questions asked. Bass is one of them.

(and other than a greeting at the Pileup a couple of years ago we have never spoken.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass View Post
This is my assumption as well. Although I have to say, even if the motor on the IR compressor I bought may have been "cheap", it certainly was not inexpensive when figured into the total package price.

When I asked my local Ingersoll Rand parts/service guy here in Dallas (Air Solutions) about a replacement motor he said they have a "better" motor that they sell now to replace the Emerson. But he couldn't warranty my faulty motor without it coming out of their pocket, and had me call the corporate customer service dept.

I'm not sure if the 'replacement motor' the local IR guy was telling me about is an Emerson or not, but I'm pretty sure that IR still builds this same compressor with a different better quality electric motor.

If I had known this particular Emerson electric motor had so many problems, I would have bought a different compressor with a better electric motor.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #53
BJR

I bought a rebuilt 2 cylinder Quincy compressor head in 1970. It is still running with the new Baldor 5 hp motor I put on it in 1970 also. Industrial equipment should last more then a year or two. So buy used or rebuilt professional stuff, and avoid the problems with the big box store shit.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #54
D.W.

I bought an IR SS5L5 from Grainger about a year ago. I just checked the p/n on the motor & it's the Emerson #23220064. I'll be keeping my eye on it as it is likely no less a TURD than the 54421193.
Thanks for the heads up Brian.

Worlds fastest Yay-Hoo

[SIGPIC]http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2742&dateline=1251306 618[/SIGPIC]
Old 12-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #55
bj1k
FNG

Not true, bought mine from tractor supply and it has a heavy duty 7 1/2 HP motor with only an Ingersoll Rand plate on it. I have no idea if they make it but it sure don't have Emerson on it. If it did, it would still be sitting there.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #56
Artfrombama

I would make sure the unloader is working so the motor isn't starting under full load, maybe adjust the pressure switch so it's not cycling as frequently.
Seems buyers demand inexpensive over quality, I'm guilty of it myself.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #57
AllSteel36

I understand your frustratiion, but after more than two years (on a one year warranty), I don't see why your complaining that IR won't stand behind thier product?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #58
lostforawhile
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrochimp View Post
I think that is a different company.

Emerson makes VERY high quality things, and does make stuff in the US.

Link to brands-
http://www.emerson.com/en-US/product...ages/Home.aspx

David
hmmm I thought Emerson industrial was the same company
Old 12-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #59
krooser
Old School HAMBer

I got 8 years out of my motor... expected 20... don't build 'em like they used to.

i was at a motor shop yesterday...brought in an old 3 ph grinder I wanted checked out due to a bare spot on the field windings. the guy dated it to 1939... fired right up and works great. I'm finally getting all my 3 ph stuff hooked up via vfd's so now i can do more work.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #60
Gigantor
Old School HAMBer

Thanks for the heads up, Brian. Just so happens I will be in the market for a compressor in January.
Really glad to hear your shop didn't get damaged.