Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some 30's Chevy design work on lunch.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dart165, Dec 8, 2009.

1. dart165

dart165

So while walking around the grounds of our facility where i work, a fellow car nut/co-worker and i spotted the abandoned remains of what once was a 36 chevy 2 dr humpback sedan. All that's left is the body, front suspension and frame, but someone cut the front half of the roof off which is nowhere to be found. Anyway the car is beat, but the image of it sitting there has bored it's way into my brain, so i took a few minutes at lunch and sketched this up.

So bear with me here, as i took a few liberties and did a few things for the sake of the sketch that are kinda weird by regular standards...

[​IMG]

yeah... i turned a 2 door into a 4 door
    ...sacrilege! i know, but hear me out.
    The image of the car, with the half roof got me thinking coach built limo's of the thirties.
    -For stability the car would be a dual cowl tub of sorts, with the suicide doors in the back acting more for style than day to day function.
    - the carson style top would be removable, which i feel changes to look of the car entirely.
    -I added dual side mounts, formed skirts, caddy caps, and some art deco style tail lights that accent the cars length.
    -I'm sure there's more of an explanation, but i cant think of it right now... Enjoy!

2. DMFB

DMFB

I dig it.....alot actually!

3. Ghost28

Ghost28

First off I like chevys alot. And making a pile of junk into what your drawing looks like is not sacrilege, It's cool. But I worry that the back door design, might derail your project cuz of the hinge detail that would have to be designed. Not saying it could not be done it will just make your build more difficult. Go for it...John

4. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Like the artwork and the rear door treatment.

5. Gigantor

Gigantor

You know, a friend of mine rescued 12 cars when a local yard started crushing a couple months ago and I am babysitting 2 of the cars until the spring and he gets room at his place.
    One is a 36 Chevy and the other I think is a 38. I might have it bass ackwards, but I think the 36 is a 4-door... about as beat as what your initial drawing is. If youwere hard up for parts, I could probably talk him into letting go of it for cheap.
    Oh yeah, COOL idea and even cooler drawings!

6. Awesome! And if it keeps it from the crusher, so much the better.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

8. dart165

dart165

thanks for the positve comments guys!

Yeah the rear door could def present a odd hinging issue since ther is not alot of space for ahinge to sit, and alot of outboard weight. My thought would be to use a full size chevy truck cargo door hinge, as it's pretty small in size, but is pretty gnarly as far as stabilty goes.

9. squirrel

squirrel

Real four doors had front doors that were quite a bit shorter than two door sedan doors. I think that's why it looks so neat.

10. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

First...your artwork is bitchin'!...second, if you end up not getting or using that carcass, let me know, I have an idea I've been thinking about for the last 6 months and can use it...

11. BJR

BJR

If you put 2 hinges on the same angle as the rear line of the door it would swing out and up to clear the crown in the rear fender. Very cool.

12. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Great vision and a beautiful illustration
    I've been thinking of a similar car for a couple of years now.