Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Little Red Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Saw this at Musclepalooza last summer upstate NY.

Attached Files:

2. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Took my kids to see that one at thomson 03....they loved it ! I built the model when i was a kid. Something about that truck........I dig the hell out of it.[​IMG]

3. It was great to see the LRW run way back when at Byron, US30, Union Grove and maybe Milan, that was waaaaaay long ago. Witnessed Mr. Golden "repair" a yoke on the center section with a BFH and a long pry bar in the 80s. The show must go on as they say.

4. GOLDEN1

GOLDEN1

5. Hey welcome to the HAMB.......great shot of Bill and the late Bob Perry of tucson.......might want to do a intro and really get the talk going...later Kent

6. I've got two unbuilt LRW model kits in my stash of kits I'm going to build "one day". Got to see him years ago at Bandimere in Denver. Too cool!

Golden also provided our local Mopar club with models and shirts for one of our car shows, about 15 years ago or so.

7. mr.smith

mr.smith

what a shame to great racing history, however at least its still around

8. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

I dont think it was a repair Bill allways removed the u joint for transporting. The tranny had no reverse, at least thats what he had told me. Ive watched and helped him many times getting the LRW ready. Ill never forget the roar of that 426 or the smell of the exhaust from the headders. Last time we talked he sold the LRW to a museaum in Az. He had one in his garage he was building, that was in '04 he might have sold it. I think he still has his pulling truck, a 85 dodge short bed.

9. The late Bob Perry..........outa Tucson

10. ronnie tidwell

ronnie tidwell
    from odessa tx

propaby pets's MEXICAN JUMPIN BEAN only wheelstander, besides
    Tommy McNeely's ford falcon in west texas in last 25 years or so

11. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

That Vette is too cool! Anybody got more pics of it and any details? I've run across LA Dart and LRW stuff, but nothing on this one.

12. George T G

George T G

I can't get the pic to show up but that is me. I rescued it from Bill's yard. washed a good wheelbarrow of mud from in and under it. We relettered the one side and coated it with a POR product. I first showed at at EnglishTown Mopar show. Garlets was there and we all made TV. Mavericks comments was "your truck is getting more attention than my truck" Garlets wanted it for his museum but it is still in Tamaqua Pa.
    GEORGE!!
    :cool:

13. George T G

George T G

And this is a pic whith the wheels I have on it. A rep from American raceing wanted them too but they are still on it. I was told they came off one of the Color Me Gone cars.
    GEORGE!!

14. George T G

George T G

Maverick always gave credit to his mom for the steering brake idea. She said he should make brakes on each rear wheel like the farm tractor back home..
    He has two long Hurst shifter handles to work two small master cyl like you see on a motorcyle taday. They are plumbed to a pr of disc brake calapers on each wheel.
    That system alowes you to use the hand brakes as well as the foot brake to help stop. If you only have one handle like Hemi Under glass you can't put on both brakes at once, just one sied or thh other.
    GEORGE!!:D

15. camchuck

camchuck

Does anybody remember Roy Cox with the little red wagon 1967 and earlier?

16. George T G

George T G

Maverick got in it in 64 and after that no one else. Are you talking a different LRW? There was a pulling ruck useing that name but Maverick squashed that.:eek:

17. camchuck

camchuck

Trying to verify rims i have. They are crager ind. mag centers with steel outers. Center is welded to rim. This guy was telling my father about racing the little red wagon . It was wrecked 3 times and him driving the truck all around different race tracks. and the cars he raced against. The rims i aquired from him suppositly came off truck. He said he stopped racing in 1967. So the wheels should be before that? Was there anything prior to Maverick.? The guy is not doing real well right now so will wait to call him personally.

18. George T G

George T G

Are you speaking of the wheels like in pic # 8? Those are American Tork Thrust and I have those on the wrecked LRW. They were off of Roger Lindamood's Color Me Gone.
    I think here or some other site someone was talking about his uncle or somthing like that driveing the LRW. No one I spoke to including Maverick knew of the name. L thin Rogr did a pass then Dick Branster . After Frank Whilie (?) gave it to Maverick he was the driver.
    Could he have been traveling with Maverick. I remember talking with the guy in Ark that was with Mav when he wrecked in Canada but I don't remember his name.
    GEORGE!!:confused:

19. Sure do miss seeing the little green wagon at the drags in Drachten. To bad he crashed it last year but the big green monster he has now is awesome. Hard to believe that such a car is actually in the Netherlands.

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

As a high school kid, I was asked by the owner of a local hobby shop / slot car track to build one of the Little Red Wagon model kits for presentation to the driver. The truck visited the hobby shop on a promo deal one evening and I was SO proud. I tried to make it the best model I had ever built. But I doubt it stood out much in the zillions he got as gifts back then. Sad to say I never got to see it run back the day. Gary

21. customcory

customcory

This is realkustom51's avatar. Thats me and my brother at a ISCA show in Charlotte , N.C. This is a old thread, but I just seen it, had to add this. I remember it like yesterday.:D

user32470_pic182162_1272886760_thumb.jpg

22. joegermann

joegermann

I came across this picture in the Wild Child archives. I forgot I even had it.

In 1967 Rankin Ford renamed the Wild Child as just the Rankin Ford. This picture is of Ev Rowse driving the car against the Little Red Wagon. Even though it was declared a draw, Ev claims that he kicked butt that day.
    [​IMG]

Enjoy,
    Joe

[​IMG]

23. camchuck

camchuck

I have pics of rims. Not pic #8 They have crager ind. and something about patented under one of the following patents and there are probably 8 or more numbers. It appears to be mag. center welded to outer steel rim. front are 15 x 7 and rears are 15 x 10.5 He said his son put regular tires on them for a while, that is what is on them. Trying to get an idea of when this type of rim was made? My thinking is this would verify time of his racing. Trying to figure out what he was doing at the time? Trying to verify his story , but things just havn't lined up yet? He talked about racing at Dragway 42 in Ohio, around West Salem, at night racing a white ford wheelstander throwing sparks down the track. He remembered the bump in the track at the end too. My father said Roy talked about having lead pored in the bed for balance or keeping front end up. I have more info about truck now to ask Roy directly. Been trying 3rd party, info from my father and not adding up. I am starting to believe possibly that Roy was a pit crew guy?
    Charlie
    http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk74/red67l78/?action=view&current

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  24. camchuck

camchuck

Does anybody have info or pics of original truck when wrecked in 1975. Where and when. Told it was racing a purple duster with lady on door?

25. melsfine39

melsfine39

Always loved the Little Red Wagon. Here are some signed photos and a signed model. The Hotwheels truck belongs to my friend Art. Its built a lot like the Wagon only it runs a 440 with a 8-71 blower not a Hemi.The photo of him doing the wheelstand was taken at Milan Drag strip at the PINKS event there in 2008. :D Mel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  26. camchuck

camchuck

Those pics are COOL !

27. big bad john

big bad john

Hey.........I was it many moons ago......Big Bad John:D

28. mattlowe

mattlowe

thats great!

whattabout all the kids rideing with no shoes on? haha
    im always yellin at my kids to wear their shoes

29. George T G

George T G

I have tried several different ways to find pics and no luck. I thought I had somthing but it was one of earler wrecks that lead to building #3.
    I don't remember what he was running against if anything. I know it was in part because of "junk" on the track, poor lights and spectators close to the edge.:eek:[

QUOTE=camchuck;5585213]Does anybody have info or pics of original truck when wrecked in 1975. Where and when. Told it was racing a purple duster with lady on door?[/QUOTE]

30. camchuck

camchuck

Acording to my reading the original truck had 14's and was changed to 15 x 7 front and 15 x 10 rears. Did it stay this way from the first truck then the second truck and then the 3rd made out of the previous 2 trucks? The 4th truck was made out of a completely different vehicle and all suspention looks to have changed, along with the big rear tires added? Did it run on the 15's till 1975 wreck?