Register now to get rid of these ads!

Super Simple Homemade Vaccuum Switch Removal Tool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michael Murder, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Michael Murder

Michael Murder
    from Wyoming

Pretty simple. I was bored today so I thought I would document some small and easy tool modification.

Not too long ago I took off some of the EGR junk on my Buick 350. I didn't get around to taking off the temperature vacuum switch tower. It's an eyesore. It needs a special tool which is basically a socket with a cut in it. I tried a crow's foot, and an end wrench and some stupid stuff with vice grips, no luck. The special tool is kind of spendy, so I thought I would sacrifice a crappy socket and a small amount of time instead of shelling out for something I'd use once.

Tower in question
    [​IMG]

Socket that would have broken anyway.
    [​IMG]

Luckily the socket is deep enough. So far, so good.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a little jig and drilled a hole at the deepest part of the socket.
    [​IMG]

I used a cut off wheel and cut out the diameter of the hole all the way down.
    [​IMG]

It looks a lot uglier than planned but will do the job.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This could take out a number of similar things like an O2 sensor.

Easy, simple and free.

2. We have a locally owned "wholesale" warehouse that sells offshore tools at relatively low prices. I'm always buying and modifying them for one time jobs where quality is not an issue. I'll file your idea away. Cuz someday I will have a similar problem.

3. Couldn't you have just beat it in with a hammer then taken it out with a normal socket?:)

Making tools, its one of the greatest ideas ever conceived.

4. Muttley

Muttley

Thats what I would have done. ;) :D

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

i have those on my 86,and i also made some of these sockets into o2 sockets on the mill, used a good socket though because i wanted it to last

6. RAY With

RAY With

Necessity is the mother of inventions. Man has no limits when driven by the unknown.

7. Hooligansince65

Hooligansince65
    from Chicago

Just sold it to Craftsman Thanks.

8. How close to 21 milimeter is that ? Looked like and o2 sensor socket. Never bought the socket just use a cresent.

9. You can't always get in there with a Crescent.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cut socket is a good idea.

Never can tell when you might need a thermal vacuum switch.
    They can be hard to find sometimes.

10. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

someone should start a sticky post just for home made tools. I have to make custom dollies for metal work all the time. pretty soon Ill need a tool box just for dollies!haha

11. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

making tools is what separates us from monkey's

12. Well, that and league bowling.:D Either way, it all boils down to the presence of opposable thumbs.

13. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

I admire your ingenuity, but you could have bought one of those sockets for 5 or 6 bucks at any decent parts store (AutoZone doesn't count).

14. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Looks like a pipe wrench might've worked too.

15. Neat tool but I've always just knocked the top off of them and removed them with a socket.
    Never the less it is a neat tool mod.

16. If you need to remove one of those while still on the vehicle it is either bad or not being used, can't think of a use for them other than to control emissions crap like the damper door in the air cleaner or choke pull-off. Someone enlighten me of possible uses for them on a hot rod, please.

17. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Aint nothing an open-end wrench couldnt handle.

18. Maybe you need one to pass inspection somewhere.

I could see the tool being handy as hell to break a temp sender loose but in most cases a crows foot will work. The operative word being most here.

When desparation kicks in we should all know simple ways to modify whatever we have at have to get the job done. I have always used an endmill to carve a slot in a socket. Now that I have little or no access to a Bridgeport I won't have to figure this one out. Someone already did that for me.