Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The "Keep on Truckin' " '34 Chevy Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. After four years of gathering parts, and a year and a half of actually building, I am finally to a point where my truck is starting to look like something.
    I am not much of a wordsmith, and my computer skills are weak at best, so I will try to keep this brief...

This is my first build so I am learning quite a bit along the way. The HAMB has been a great resource for both technical and visual inspiration, so I would like to thank everyone in advance for the endless knowledge and especially all the historic photos.
    I've always wanted a real hotrod, though I can't say I've ever driven or ridden in one. Hopefully sooner,rather than later, that will change.

I am missing some early pictures because my old computer took a dump, but as with most of the early Chevys, mine was just a pile of sheetmetal. The original swap meet purchase included a complete cab (in pieces) , an original radiator and grille, a bare 1 1/2 ton frame, some misc. hardware and a title.

Here we go...

BTW, sorry for the thumbnails. I don't know how to post regular old pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  2. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

I can tell by looking at the floor and seeing concrete that you my friend are way ahead of my projects, I can't remember where all my parts are. Kudos.

3. Parts list: '57 283 backed by a T-5
    '39 Ford rear converted to open drive and hung on a T spring
    Wide fives
    F-1 steering box

Attached Files:

jgrohio likes this.
  4. damnfingers

damnfingers

I think it's lQQking great.....

5. I was originally trying to work with the original crossmembers, but as I worked my way from front to back, they all got replaced.

Attached Files:

6. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

Look'n good........................Rich

7. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Nice work. The cowl looks nice and solid. Have you started replacing the wood yet?
    Mat

8. Thanks guys. I have started replacing wood. It is fairly slow going, and when I finish one element, I tend to move on to some other aspect of the build to not get too frustrated with it. I am going to try to post another batch of pictures tonight...

9. Overall the cab is real straight with the typical rust issues ( door bottoms are gone, visor is rough, the cab lower panel is beat and the rockers very rough, though I did find replacements for them and they are even the same color!)

As far as wood replacement, I am kind of taking the road less traveled and basically replicating the critical shapes of the wood members in cold rolled 11ga. The A and B pillars are made in this fashion. I bought one new A pillar to use as a pattern :eek:$$$ but had enough left of one B pillar to figure out it's shape. There are also all kinds of brackets that held the cab together originally, and I had one side to copy.

The skin will attach with screws or steel rivets depending on the location.

Attached Files:

10. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

My favorite cab.. I have min in avatar...I would take that year of chevy cab over a ford any day. I think the body lines on the side and the roof are so much nicer and well different since everyone goes ford. Look'n Good.

nunattax likes this.
  11. More--

Attached Files:

12. "Looking good, always great to see another Chevy being built. I just looked at a 33 cab, fenders and grill shell last weekend, possibly a new "future project.;)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
    nunattax likes this.
  13. The hinges were shot so I repaired them. I also have started to restructure the doors. I have the original window regulators and latches,too. It's amazing to me that this stuff all managed to stay together over the years. The fellow I bought it from bought it in pieces. I have no idea how long it's been apart.

Attached Files:

14. Ghost28

Ghost28

Nicely done, and great fabrication skills. You are well on your way to a nice ride that I am sure will enjoy...ghost

15. Thanks for the kind words everyone. This was the first time I saw the door swing on its hinges, and my wife gave her a new name... I was listening to a lot of Gn'R that week.

Attached Files:

nunattax likes this.
  16. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I give you guys that build early Chevys a lot of credit. I started a 34 Olds and got burned out on replacing the wood. So I sold it and bought a 34 Ford P/U. Keep up the good work.
    Mat

17. I will be the first to admit that I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I started this project, and a wooden car should probably not have been my first choice :) but, too late to turn back now.

My next project is a '27 T roadster. It's rusty, but at least it's all in one piece!

nunattax likes this.
  18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah, I think I am in that same boat. I bought my '31 Chevy with out really knowing what I was getting myself into. I think it's a bit more difficult because you can't just open up a magazine and emulate a car's stance that you like and couple that with the fact that most the cars need extensive metal work to become rigid and it adds up. Just now I'm getting started on building the car that I got a year ago. I had thought I was making progress but in reality I was collecting parts and not really building anything.

Now is the time to get my hands dirty and start pecking at this thing to get it read for the delivery at Christmas. I think the fact that you have the resources to go with ford suspension and such will definitely make for a clean set up. Look at the '31 ('32) Chevy that Hooker Hot Rods built. That car is the one that really made people take notice these days. It wasn't just loved by Chevy guys but by all.

You truck is going to be pretty spectacular. I hope that your progress stay stead because I am keeping an eye on this thread.

19. 65stepside

65stepside

oh man my complements you seem to have a handle on what your doin
    love the build
    im just starting a 34 chev p/u myself i hope it comes together as well as yours seems to be
    i am lucky though the wood is really nice and no rust
    good luck
    it would have been easier to do a ford p/u but you never see the old chevs and i do love a challenge

20. Jeffreyjames, Is that the car for your father-in-law? I think I remember reading a post about that a while ago...anyway, thanks for the vote of confidence. And for the record, I just about shat myself when HHR posted that coupe for the first time :eek:. I had a feeling that was the car you were referring to as soon as I read your post. I can only hope my truck will turn out half that nice.

65 stepside, No rust and good wood?...you are shittin' in tall cotton my friend!

I can only post a couple of pictures at a time. I am assuming it is because they are too big. That must be where Photobucket comes in, huh?

Anyway, this next piece is part of the roof above the door. Above it is a nice piece of wood to ensure that the rust has a nice place to grow and prosper. i tried to repair it. It turned out alright, but I still have the other side to do.*Patience*

Attached Files:

21. A couple more-

Attached Files:

22. 65stepside

65stepside

hehehe i got good wood
    my only problem is no frame or box
    but its a good place to start

23. This is a piece of the roof structure above the door. I couldn't come up with a steel substitute that I liked for the wooden piece, so I made it out of some maple. It should outlast me, I hope:). I spend half my time cleaning up after I make a part. What a slob!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  24. One of the things that had me stumped for a while was the steering. I bought a '35 Chevy box off of eBay, but I was never able to find the correct Pitman arm. I have two Chevy arms, neither of them are the correct diameter for the sector. So, after much reading on the HAMB, it seemed to be that the F-1 box was the way to go.

The other problem was the hairpins. I like the look ( I may try to get/make a different set that tapers to the back.) I was unable to locate a box with the pinch bolt arrangement('56 ?) so I cut the splined bung off the one that I had, and chucked it in the ratty $300 lathe (also in pieces, Ha!) that I bought years ago, and had never used. This was my first time turning anything... I hope it works:eek: I tuned the bung down to fit inside the pipe and welded it in. I played with some paper patterns and got the arm to the shape and length that I wanted and plug-welded a replacement ball on the end.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  25. Here it is installed with the original Chevy column drop and a '51? Ford wheel on the F-1 column. I also grafted a Model A shifter to the T-5 and topped it with the glass knob my pops had on his '29 A sedan 25 years ago.

Attached Files:

26. Somewhere along the way, I picked up a set of ram's horns and spent a bunch of time cleaning them up. I Had purchased some '51 ford wheels off an older gentleman on Craigslist a while back and he had this 3x2 setup. I couldn't swing it at the time, but kept his number. I called him back about six months later and brought them home....it's starting to look more like a hot rod now (to me anyway.)

Attached Files:

pecker head likes this.
  27. My cat is not impressed....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    craig b blue likes this.
  28. Vinnie

Vinnie

looks really good...keep up the work.
    V

29. Shortly after I finished the steering, I moved on to the pedal assembly. Over the last few years I've amassed several sets of pedals to try to make work. I have a set from a '35 Chevy car and a set from a '37 Ford. In the end, the best fit was a set of F-1 pedals ( big surprise!) I got a '40-'48 style master cylinder from my local NAPA:eek: and was on my way. Here's what I came up with for a mount... moron (pun intended) that later...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  30. Back in April, I managed to find this at my Favorite swap meet. Actually most of the components for my build have come from the same meet, just spread out over the last 3 years. Dig it!

Attached Files: