Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

Any one ever built a shrinker/stretcher on Air?

2. [​IMG]

There has to be a story to the 4 toes on this! What's the deal?

3. lehr

lehr

Richard I built mine with what I had laying around...What measurements do you need ?
    I set mine up for the height That I wanted my work at I like it about elbow high. Pat

4. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

I have limited space so I had come up with a few things to save space and help keep the workshop cleaner.

Clamp Holder
    [​IMG]

Swing out belt sander
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Die rack for tubong bender
    [​IMG]

Sheet metal behind my lathe table is great for magnetic tools and note. Also helps keep the walls clean.
    [​IMG]

5. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

C4 - how about some more pics / description of the rack the swing out sander is attached to.

6. I agree! C4, you've already given me some good ideas for the limited space I have... any MORE pics to help us out?

7. I was wondering how long were the rods, to get the right leverage.

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Another solution here would be to bolt a length of angle iron to the wall and just close the clamps on it. They'd stick out from the wall... if you wanted them to hang down, you could bolt a piece of C-channel to the wall, making it a shelf with a down-standing flange, and secure the clamps to the down-standing flange.
    Taking that a step further, you could put up a shelf and store something on it, and fasten a piece of angle under the front of the shelf, and clamp the vise-grips to it, again, hanging down.

-Brad

9. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

The nice think about my set up is you do not have to re-adjust the clamp from being screwed in all the way every time you want to use them.

Quote-Another solution here would be to bolt a length of angle iron to the wall and just close the clamps on it. They'd stick out from the wall... if you wanted them to hang down, you could bolt a piece of C-channel to the wall, making it a shelf with a down-standing flange, and secure the clamps to the down-standing flange.
    Taking that a step further, you could put up a shelf and store something on it, and fasten a piece of angle under the front of the shelf, and clamp the vise-grips to it, again, hanging down.

10. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

The hinge is made out 1" .120 wall and all thread. The ends are turned down nuts. To keep it locked in place a used a couple of weld on tabs and a bolt. The swing out base is plasma cut out of 3/16's plate.

11. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

I'll try and take some more detail pictures over the weekend. Let me know if there is anything in particular that you want more pictures of.

12. NealinCA

NealinCA

Looks good. Nice design... ;-)

Neal

13. My brother and I built these tools..........My brother goes by the name Paulie Fingaz because he has so few..........They call me Tom toes because................get the picture?

14. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Someone mentioned that this thread lists the source for the 12" platters for the disk sander. I have been thru all 13 pages and I can't find the reference. Can someone help me out? TIA

15. nexxussian

nexxussian

I only (vaugly) remember a couple references to that.

The most usefull one (that I found when I was looking back thorough) was post 32 on Pg 2

FWIW if your local high school has a metal shop you might get them to true one up for you (ie, make it yourself and get it close, then have them turn it concentric and flat).

Hope that helps

16. Here are some of my shop built tools.

I stole this idea from Dutch Comstock. It's bolted to the welder frame. Two shelves with perforated metal and loops for storing clamps, vice grips, and spring clamps. Probably the best thing I ever did. Every time I run up on a loose clamp/vicegrip, I carry it to the frame.

[​IMG]

Shop built reciprocating machine (Pullmax). Really works nice. 18" throat. I need to paint it but I'm thinking of adding another head on the back and dedicating it to thumbail dies.

[​IMG]

Post dolly tree and stand. I put lots of stuff on 2" sq tubing and can easily put it on the stand when I need it. Normally the Beverly shear lives in one of the two top pieces. A plate on the bottom allows me to pick it up with one leg of our HF pallet jack (what did I do without a pallet jack!)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here is a deep throat kick shrinker. Some friends and I designed and prototyped them. This is prototype #3 and uses either Marchant style dies or Eckold dies with hand made tool holders. Serious tool! The stretcher is just like it but a different color.

[​IMG]

36" Planishing hammer made from a Jay Hayes kit. CP type II air motor.

[​IMG]

17. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

C4
    how 'bout some pics of the whole set up, from a distance so we can see the whole thing.

18. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

ty!

19. Here is my try at a Bead Roller. I got a HF roller for free and had a lot of Mobile home 12" I-Beam so I used what I had. I tried the crank & steering wheel on the back side and didn't like the awkward feel so I put a chain drive off a 90 degree gear drive so the wheel is close and above the panel. The back side has a gear reduction motor that drives the gear on the end with a hitch pin which I pull to free wheel the motor when hand operated. total cost $20 plus lots of my labor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  20. That was my first thougt too, and it looks good
    Lars

21. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Really nice.

22. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

My wife got me a bead roller for Fathers day and I finally had a chance to take it out of the box and fidle with it.

[​IMG]

Made receiver socket on the side of my welding table as well.

[​IMG]

I'll finish the wheel this weekend.

[​IMG]

Some folks had asked for more pictures of a previous post

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t121/bmweuro/Workshop/

23. krooser

krooser

Use a 56C motor for building the disc sander...it uses four mounting holes. The platen that goes onto the motor shaft should be available from WW Grainger... that's where I got mine years ago when I built my sander.

the plans for mine came from an old American Rodder mag circa the early 90's.

24. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

Finished it today
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can use it with the steering wheel or handle
    [​IMG]

25. lehr

lehr

Richard the rods that stick out of the tool is self is about 5 inchs total I dont think you have to worry to much about leverage because you are pushing down on it with your body weight. Pat

26. Dammit

Dammit
    from Canada

Some great looking tools on here.Still trying to get the hang of this computer stuff,but am doing better thanks to Gizmojoe.The bead roller started out as a H.F. cheapie,is now powered by a Cobalt power steering motor driving a S.B.C. flex plate,mounted on a scrap metal stand.The shrinker/stretcher came from Woodwardfab and is mounted on similar metal leftovers.

Attached Files:

27. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Really nice.

28. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

They do look nice but pictures really don't do justice to Dammits work.
    And the parts and pieces of "things" that he used to make them is "interesting". :cool:

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW!!! This thread is rad!

I have some requests! I would really like to see some more home made belt sanders with some good detail, and maybe someone's take on a slip roller, and how about a video of one of these helve hammers in action? Don't know much about them.

Great stuff! Some very impressive tool builds! I really need to make one of those three-wheeled roller thingys! That would be way useful!

30. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Search out youtube for helve hammers in action. Some of those critters are MEGA dangerous.