Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who are your Land Speed Racing Heros?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M.D., Jul 1, 2008.

1. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

2. Todd553

Todd553

Geat call on Seth and Tanis Hammond. After they wrecked the lakester they built a modified roadster. They beat my E/BGMR record by 50+ mph. Glad I switched to E/BFR.
    Also:
    Summers Bros.
    Al Teague
    Mike Cook
    Kenz & Leslie
    Wilson& Waters
    Shipley & Sprool
    David Haas................My uncle. He's in the 200mph club at Muroc, El Mirage and the 300mph Club at Bonneville.
    Bob Haas...................My Dad

3. Bob Rufi
    Bob Giovanine
    Ak Miller
    Alex Xydias
    Gene Winfield

4. The list is long but I have to say Don Vesco! and now I add Chris Carr - went from being a 7 time Flat Track motorcycle champion (which is enough to make him a hero) to 354mph on a motorcycle at Bonneville.
    And let's not forget Landspeed Louise.

5. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

Al Teague. Sure the streamliner was way cool, but 268 in a roadster had to be a rush.

6. autobilly

autobilly

I totally agree!
    Guys like Cambell and Lockhart really capture my imagination, as well as the exploits of the "do it yourself" hot rodders like Xidias, Batchelor and the early So-Cal team.

7. camarofreak

camarofreak
    from alabama

Burt Monroe and Mickey Thompson

8. Justin B

Justin B

everyone that's already listed but a big one is nolan white, kinda a low key guy, scta championships in the 60's, first to go over 400 with a single engine, died doing what he loved at 71 years old.

9. lakester47

lakester47

Frank Lockhart killed attempting to set world LSR at Daytona Beach, FL in April, 1928 in the Stutz Blackhawk Special, a car he designed and built. 183 c.i. (2 Miller 91 c.i. straight 8's on a common crank case) making 570 hp in 1928. His was a tiny streamlined bullet of a car when the norm were aircraft engined behemoths. He inspired a whole generation of hot rodders.

10. 7"Chop

7"Chop
    from Denver

Gary Gabelich is my Hero

I met Gary when I was 17. My friend Butch Brinza painted the Blue Flame.

I spent alot of time talking to Gary about drag racing,drag boat racing and land speed racing.

He was one Cool Guy that we lost way to early in life. R.I.P. Gary

Attached Files:

11. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Ken Kloth and his Merc flathead. Now, that guy can build an engine..

12. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Hands down AL Teague, The Sadd,Teague and Bentley Roadster is one of the Baddest hot rods ever. There are so many Doug Robinson and the BMR guys, Fabian, Tom Branch and the New Bean Bandits. I have to stop now or this list will take me all night!!
    Jimmy White

13. M.D.

M.D.

Unfortunately I was shooting that run the moment it happened. It was a bummer. I was down around the 3 or 4 mile, but I had my radio on as I looked into the viewfinder still filming the empty starting line from where I was.

14. Brickster

Brickster

There have been a lot of greats mentioned and I agree with all of them but I've been reading the stuff I can find about the Budwieser Rocket car after geting to know one of the members of the crew. So I would like to add Stan Barrett's name to this list, he must have more guts than most. Driving any landspeed car is a big deal but I can't imagine driving a car powered by a rocket. The additional power the Bud car needed to get to mach 1 (some people dispute it) was a missle and could not be shut down after it was started and this was on top of a peroxide powered primary rocket. What a ride, it is said that the rear wheels of the car came off the ground as the car neared it top steed 750+MPH

Brick

Attached Files:

15. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Well, Arfons & Breedlove got me hooked on the salt back when I was in grade school. Mickey Thompson sealed the deal. Al Teague ruled for quite some time.
    But now there are too many to pick - they all rock!

Bonus! - Can't forget "yer old Dad", Gray Baskerville!
    May his memory live forever!

16. M.D.

M.D.

For you MT fans, here are some pics from the "Indian" movie set. Unfortunately you will notice the damage to the nose of the newly restored Challenger. Wasn't tied down properly in the transporter.

Attached Files:

17. dutched32

dutched32

My friends Gary and Phil (saltracer,1956f100)not big names in the sport but very involved, and out of a home garage went out and raced their flathead powered roadster for three years.Big influences in my life.

18. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

I think we all share the same favorites, my personal encounters go to seeing the Blue Flame and Bob Herda's liner in my lifetime. I gotta mention Tom Beatty, not just for the tank, but for that blown sedan delivery pushtruck he had, and the great Barney Navarro for his blown rust bucket. Also, Mark Dees, just for all his quests in uncovering as much four banger info he could find.

19. mad-cad

mad-cad

Not in any specific order
    Campbell
    Cobb
    Teague
    Burklands
    Summers bros
    M/T
    Shug Hanchard
    and many more,they are all inspirational.:D

20. DollaBill

DollaBill

Bruce Crower - deserves as much credit as anyone for bringing technological advancement to the sport...and who held a Sunday morning church service at his trailer the first year I went to Bonneville. A dozen people or so, he gave the message, humble and just another guy, interested in people's spiritual welfare in that most otherworldy of places.

Ken Walkey - Met him at SEMA several years ago. He invited me to stop by his house if I was ever in Northridge. Months later I called him (I was in town) and he graciously invited me over. Invited me into his home, spent hours telling me stories and letting me crawl all over (and inside) his streamliner...

...and then drove me over to the hangar he shared with Earl Wooden, and let me sit in Earl's Crosley!

Real men, real humility, real talent, real tenacity. I consider myself fortunate.

banjeaux bob likes this.
  21. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

In the approx. 45 years I have been going to salt I have seen and spoke with many of those mentioned, great people all. I have the greatest respect for anyone who puts something on the race track. The committment to compete in LSR is beyond comparison it involves everyone in the competitor's life.

We cannot forget the volunteers that make the event happen either. Last year was a prime example of the behind the scenes work they do. 2007 was the race that could not happen. A violent rain storm just a few days before the event required the location of new ground, relocation of all equipment including the re-string of miles of wire and everything else involved. This last minute move was invisable to the hundreds of racers and fans who began to arrive just a couple of days later.

The SCTA and BNI have evolved this event beyond the the widest dreams of the original organizers.

If you have never attended a Speedweek you owe to yourself to try it just once. A nice lady asked me one time about her husband who was racing at the salt for the first time.
    She mentioned that she thought her husband had caught "salt fever" and asked how to get rid of it. I told her the only cure was death.

I look forward to seeing everyone at the salt please introduce yourself, I'm in the impound area all day greeting the record qualifiers and setters.

DW

22. nexxussian

nexxussian

Anyone who has run at any of the dry lakes. I have wanted to run something (aside from the 'nike express') at B'ville since I found my dad's copy of 'Breedlove 500'. Not saying I expect to go that fast, but you gotta start somewhere, and I haven't:(.

23. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Sir Malcolm Campbell
    John Cobb

51 mercules likes this.
  24. Sir Malcomb Cambell who did 300 mph in 1935 in his Bluebird. ( Bonneville or Daytona ) and his son Sir Donald Cambell who did 403mph in 1964 in his own Bluebird on Lake Eyre, Australia. Both Bluebird cars are in a museum now. Donald also had the water speed record at something like 300 mph, that was his fatal last run. I remember as a kid in Australia that Donald Cambell was pretty much a houshold name where ever you went.

Attached Files:

25. Craig Breedlove, because he was "the guy" when I 1st got bit by this hobby. I believe he was 1st over 4, 5, and 600 MPH. I sure was hoping he'd been the guy to break the sound barrier on land a few yrs ago
    PS-I'm surprised his name isn't mentioned a lot more here!
    Spirit of America? It doesn't get any cooler

26. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Tom Beatty because he had the gall to ask his wife if he could pull the engine out of the tow car to put in the belly tank after he had blown all 4 spare engines. He also had the guts to test the tank on the freeway near his house. My type of guy.

Kenz and Leslie and Willie Young because they always took time to talk to me. Likewise for Ron Leslie, Butch Salter and Bob Marchese.

Burt Munro for doing all he has done over the years at Bonneville
    with limited resources. I met him the first year he came over.

Vic Edelbrock Sr. because he went fast and I learned a lot from him.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  27. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

Bud Schmitt who built this twin engine Harley in his little speed shop in Chalmers In and took it to Bonneville in 1955 where he or his brother rode it to a 157.20mph record but couldn't back it up due to engine failure. How would you like to straddle those chains. :eek:

Following the Monster is a picture of Bud 50 years later astride a V-Rod. He will be out there again this year at 80 years old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Elwin "Al" Teague:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob "Bones" & Charlie Markley:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

John, Tommy & Justin Walsh (and Tom Cusack):
    [​IMG]

Dennis Varni (and Cub & Bud Barnett):
    [​IMG]

Chuck (and Martha & Frank) Salmen:
    [​IMG]

Seth (and Tanis) Hammond:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  29. Some day us HAMBers will say we knew Hooley and crew when;)