Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stock-S/S-F/X 1959-1966

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Race Artist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Race Artist

Race Artist

2. Race Artist

Race Artist

If it was an aluminum car they were cheatin' in one of those pictures because you can see SS/S in the passenger side window. The lightweight Impalas had to run B/FX.
    Joel

Attached Files:

3. Race Artist

Race Artist

4. Race Artist

Race Artist

Ken Montgomery's 555 in 1966 at Dover Dragway in NY. It was a special booked in S/S Spectacular series that ran a few meets at area strips. Note the cop chasing the unpaid spectators away from the fence!

Joel

Attached Files:

5. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

6. redwudz

redwudz

Kool thread, I love AF/X cars. Anybody have pictures of the Hodges Dodges car from about 64.

7. Almost forgot, some buddies of mine made a perfect 1965 426 Plymouth AWB A/FX that they just finished up. Check it out at www.afxer.com
    -Dean

8. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

Race Artist here is the photos of the Gold '63 Plymouth sitting on the Sydney Australia docks around October 1964, some of the signwriting was taped over as can be seen in the shots. I do not know what was under the tape. Along with this car was a new 1964 dark blue Plymouth Max Wedge, 4 speed,aluminiun front as well. The '63 car had a stroked motor in it around 470 cubes, auto trans, aluminium front and was gold in colour. Both these cars are still around the '64 has been stored since '73 it needs a resto. The cars were purchased from Milne Bros of Pasadena Ca. around August '64, I hope someone can supply the history of the gold car. I was told it was factory owned and raced before it went to Milne Bros.

Attached Files:

9. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Joel, The Pizzi Fugitive car was a Belair.

[​IMG]

10. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Here's a photo of the Red Cloud '63 Biscayne. Another Jenkins motor. Notice the window sticker still in place.;)

[​IMG]

11. storm king

storm king

race artist; they aren't unpaid spectators, they're just standing in an area that used to make the rent-a-cops nervous. You weren't allowed to stand outside the fence to the staging lanes. If you drew a line straight out from the cop, that would be the enterance to Dover, which is where you paid coming in the gate. The area just behind those guys outside the fence was the crest of a bowl shaped hill, and they are standing on the very precipice. No one was allowed to be there.
    Dover used to have some good racing; that was our home track, but we spent a good deal of time at Lebaonon as well. We had 52 wins at Dover in 2/3 seasons with our Max Wedge car.

12. Mark I

Mark I

Verne,

Gerald Reeder and Larry Mohar were involved with the "Red Cloud" Biscayne. They later ended up with the John Hollingsworth Z-11. That car was better known when it was raced by Hubert Platt, then Wally Bell. MoHar and Reeder had the car painted red from the original blue.

Mark

13. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

That would be this one..... Sure looks a lot better than when Hubert had it!;)

[​IMG]

14. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

While we're on the subject of 409s, here's a memorable shot of a pair of '61s. Later in the season, some '61s were running the Optional Super/Stock class with over-the-counter big heads and the 2x4 set-up. Seeing these cars run well into the 12s put Chevy solidly at the top of the other competition in the second half of '61.
    The Strum car appears to be for sale at this time. I believe the fate of that car is unknown.

[​IMG]

15. Anybody know what happened to this car?:confused:

16. 65deluxe

65deluxe

WGUY, door looks great but do you have a full shot of this car?
    Great thread, thanks for posting guys.

17. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I have several photos of that car, and a few with Wally Bell as the owner. Here's one more.

[​IMG]

18. Race Artist

Race Artist

I just saw this link over on the Drag Cars in Motion thread. You all HAVE to go see this site! It is Southern S/S racing at it's best! Mopars, T-Bolts, Z-11's, etc.! Photos by Ronnie Evans!!?

Joel
    http://www.doublehdragstrip.com/ghoststrip/

19. Race Artist

Race Artist

Thanks Storm King ... I spent many days at Dover, first time I went up was 1961, but I was not a regular. The people must have been from the spectator side of the strip because if you were in the pits you could walk almost anywhere in staging and not far from the line too.
    Joel

20. Race Artist

Race Artist

21. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

That's quite a coincidence Joel. I KNOW that's not the Ronnie Evans we know, of Wildfire fame. He doesn't even OWN a computer! It's all still in his head.;)

22. biscaynes

biscaynes

wow, look at the ripples in the aluminum fender!

23. Mark I

Mark I

Joel,

Awesome pictures there! Thanks for the link.

Biscaynes,
    Thats one of the straighter Z-11 fenders after a couple years racing!

Verne,
    Pm's sent.

Mark

24. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

This is how bad that fender looked when Platt was running the car.

[​IMG]

25. 65deluxe

65deluxe

that aluminum bumper hasnt faired any better. Great pictures WGUY!

26. Cheezer63

Cheezer63

Nicholson & Beswick 63 Nationals Both were Disqualified

Attached Files:

• 039.jpg
      039.jpg
      File size:
      113.9 KB
      Views:
  27. Wow Joel, :eek:what a great website. It appears that it was put together by the same guy who did both Phil's and Dick's sites. The shot of the '62 Ford appears to be the "Bad News" car which is the ex-Bonner car. I'm sure Dennis K. will be interested in the "Strip Teaser" T-bolt photos. He has owned that car for many years!! Great Stuff!!:D

28. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Lets see if this will load.
    [​IMG]

29. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

30. How about a Starliner. This is Dick Brannan's '61 390-401 @ Indy in '61. Anybody have anymore Galaxie's to share?? This thread is awesome!!! Keep it rolling....

Attached Files: