Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is hopping up a MG TD off or on topic?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Rails, Sep 24, 2007.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the black one is riding on Dunlops...

I look forward to making the TD sit lower and fixing the clearances between the fenders and the wheels.

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah... I dont get that one either...

Attached Files:

3. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Metalshapes, according to "ace mechanic, Buddy Palumbo" the Jowet had the engine mounted so far foward that they handled badly on the track That red one looks pretty good though, doesn't ?

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

Flat 4, wrong wheel drive, wasn't it?

I've seen one crash out of a race in a very spectacular way.

Understeer...Oversteer... Loosing it.

5. damnfingers

damnfingers

Buddy Palumbo....The Last Open Road mechanic, right? Great series of books...

6. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

"The last open road" books were the best things I have read in years. Good story and tons of early sportscar racing history. Those darn books are the reason I have this TD that has taken over my life like some kind of British "Christine". On second thought, stay the hell away from these books! Save yourself!!!!

7. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

tomorrow is sunday. :D:D:D

8. if your gona do it.... do it right,
    chuck the front fenders away (OK stick them on e-bay!!)
    bob the rears,
    MGB rear with wires
    drop beam front with skinny wires done in a post war circuit racer style
    OR
    Volvo rear with saltflat specials/halibrands/et500s
    drop beam front with spindle mount 10 spokes
    done in a 60s style
    Rover V8 (Buick) all ally and as light as the 4 pot stocker
    alternatively there are shit loads of speed stuff available for TDs that will cost an arm and a leg, make it less reliable than it is now and won't actually make it that fast. BUT it would be "period"

9. Oh and I am an MG owner!!
    as far as Morgans go......Nice but very expensive, shit build quality, rude people at the factory. If you want one buy a restored one that way the factory build has been sorted.
    TVR......plastic fantastic.....true collectors cars, you have to stop frequently to collect the bits that have fallen off......they are truly awsome as far as performance goes.

10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

funniest bumpersticker I ever saw was on the back of an early lotus Elan, it stated:

"all the parts falling off this car are of the finest British quality and craftsmanship"

11. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

I think that sounds like good advice. I also have a couple of questions and/or comments.

1. What is the wheel bolt spacing on TDs? (I can't find it anywhere.)
    2. Did "mustangsix" have the best recipe for lowering the front? Or, does anyone have any better ideas?
    3. Moss Motors doesn't have much at all in the way of speed parts. Nothing. They might have in the past, but they sure don't now. Who does?
    4. fur biscuit, what color are your fenders? They look great.

And again, how do you lower a car to look like the other one fur biscuit posted? Man, that looks great.

Matt

12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1. I will get the bolt spacing in the morning.

2. Kinda.

3. No shit, Moss (if you are to lazy to hunt around) has mostly stock resto bits for TD's. I will probably end up fabbing up most of the stuff for my car (headers, rear axle locating arms, a drop set up for the front, etc...)

4. Black

The problem with lowering the front end of a TD is that the lower wish bones basically sit flat, and if I recall correctly, lowering a front end below the horizontal plane of the lower A arm, if the arm is sloping down from the chassis to the lower spindle mount is ok, flat is prefered, but sloping up hill to the lower mount is a big no-no.

13. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

some period stuff...

[​IMG]

14. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

for those who don't read my "duecke thread":

[​IMG]

15. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a cool period story, Hop UP 1951...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Wow. Thank you very much.

18. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

That rear spring on the front is something i would never have thought of.....

19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

no problem.

20. Hahaa! I posted pics of that before. In fact, I thought those were MY pics, but I see they are at a slightly different angle. And if Doane Spencer, Alex Xydias, Dean Moon and Dick Kraft (all who worked on this car) thought hot rodding an MG was cool, then so do I! :D

I am posting my pics which are bigger for those who just by passed this car. For you guys that go nuts over Ardun heads, read the sign board. You think Flat head Arduns are rare, try 1 of 21!:eek:
    Thanks for posting this, very cool little ride.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MG's are so not traditional...:)

I like how the used the ends of the oil dipstick for the nuts to hold down the cam covers. (i could do with out all the aeroquip fittings though)

22. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Please let me know the wheel bolt spacing. I can't find it anywhere. Thanks!

23. metalshapes

metalshapes

24. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5 3/4" (if I measured correctly)

25. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Thanks again, fur biscuit!

26. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

I noticed that they don't list TDs. I assume that they only do drums for spline drive wheels (if that's the right term) and not normal bolt pattern wheels.

Is the bolt spacing really that wide, fur biscuit? What other manufacturers' wheels fit?

27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i measured the distance between 2 lugs diagonally across from one another, is that correct?

28. damnfingers

damnfingers

Here's another place for Alfin drums (and other mods) - about 1/2 way down the page:

http://www.mg-tabc.org/t-list-gall-class.htm

29. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I don't know about British cars, but on an American car the proper way (on a five-lug wheel) to measure is from one lug to the midpoint between the opposite two. I think there's a formula to work it out from the way you did it, but I don't know what it is.

I saw an MG-TC (?, it had wire wheels) at a wedding yesterday and all I could do was think how neat it would be with a dual-quad 283 and a four-speed. I blame this post.

-Dave

30. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Like this:
    [​IMG]

I saw a 1950s catalog that had wires for the MG TD that retained the 5 bolts, so it looked like an early Ford wire wheel. It was larger in diameter than 15" and smaller than 19". It looked good, like 32 wheels, but I bet I can't find anything like that unless the bolt pattern is common.