Register now to get rid of these ads!

Home brew shop tools....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Creosote, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Ajtofelfa

Ajtofelfa

Yes he did. He had the axles and the rollers done by a shop, but everything else is self-made. The frame is rectangular tubing, the drive is a junked timing chain with gears. I'm not sure if he has the plans drawn. He started with an idea and then extended it based on usage tests. It was strengthened at least once and the drive setup is the third version as far as I remember. But this seems to be the final one as it works really well. If you adjust the rollers tight enough, you can even cut sheet metal.

2. Has he built any other tools?

3. Ajtofelfa

Ajtofelfa

A couple of hammers for metalshaping. Now with the bead roller finished, he's doing an english wheel. He hasn't started it yet, the big wheel is just being done in the shop.

4. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

cool......very cool

5. Kerry, that drill press is awesome! I saw plans once for a ford banjo based drillpress but have never seen one. Can you give us some more detail on the spindle?

6. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

VERY Interested!!

This will become a Club tool for all the guys use. GREAT!!

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Coolest drill press ever. That thing is rediculous. Do I see a transmission and shift lever on top for adjusting RPM?

8. Yep. I have used reverse to back it out when it hung up while drilling a large piece clamped to the table. It does have some speed adjustment with a stepped pulley as well. I'll shoot some more pics of it and try and answer the spindle question.

9. Machobuck

Machobuck

I'm into bladesmithing and have made RR track anvil that seems to get the job done and can be used for anything really.Alot of metal working tools can be made from everyday objects. Ive made a working forge out of a BBQ in less than a day.Can be used to forge all kinds of tools form knives to lathe grinding tools...

links of interest...

Tools used for hot work and general metal working/forming,press,anvil,bench grinder.Its a bladesmiths forum but still has good info.
    http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showforum=4

homemade grinder done right!
    http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6497

Making lathe tools...
    http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Tool_grinding/tool_grinding.htm

Plans/build portable foundry set-up
    http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200008/GEAR_article.html

Sorry my post was a bit off topic seeing as how most are hot work links.Hope it helps all the same

10. Where can you get RR track pieces?

11. Machobuck

Machobuck

At the track...

12. Machobuck

Machobuck

13. I've never had the spindle apart but it does not appear to be to difficult. There is a shaft with a keyway all along it that slides up and down in the banjo. It goes in a piece of pipe with a geared slide, for lack of a better description, for the vertical control. The pipe has taper bearings top and bottem with a color on the top and a large nut on the bottem to keep it located and slides inside another piece of pipe. Make sense? The pictures are much more descriptive than I am.

Attached Files:

14. The shear was largely made out of steel Grandpa salvaged out of an old Gleaner combine. A motor drives a reduction box which drives a large sprocket with a chain. The large sprocket acts like a crank of sorts. It transfers it's motion to an arm with a couple of holes at different spots to adjust it's power. The shaft has an arm welded on each side which pulls the blade down. There is a holding fixture on the blade that engages as the blade lowers and releases as the blade goes up.

On thicker stuff I have to "help" it cut by smacking the top of the moving blade with a large hammer. I'm sure not going to hurt it.

I'm not going to have time to dig out the blades till at least Sunday but I'm pretty sure I know where they are at. I'll let you know

Attached Files:

15. 54chop

54chop

Here is a planishing hammer I fabbed up. It will level out a smashed up mess of a fender or shape a cycle gas tank from 18 ga mild steel. 54chop

Attached Files:

16. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Damn...plans for the hammer 54chop!!! Or A LOT of nice photos of it. Show us how you built it. It looks simple, and affordable.

Brad

17. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Sounds great any pictures of that thing

18. 54chop

54chop

The good air units on planishing hammers, pressure into position with air and then start hammering. Those air units are around 4 or $500 rebuilt I think. The cheap ebay specials etc. have the hammer mounted stationary ~1/2" above the anvil or lower die. Mine uses a cheap zip gun, but slides on ways so you can control the pressure with your foot. My planishing hammer also has a adjustable air pressure regulator which gives even more control. 120psi for shaping flat 18 ga into cycle tanks, or say 45psi for taking the wrinkles out of that 40 ford fender after initial hammer and dolly work. The lower dies are just made from mild steel and then faced by tig welding some filler rod(used for repairing tool steel parts) over the crown and then grinding and sanding smooth. 54chop

19. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

NO RUSH. Thanks for the pics.

This will come in VERY handy.

Glenn

20. farna

farna

Yeah, it was obvious after looking that you didn't build EVERYTHING!! :rolleyes:

That's a real neat use of the Rambler "R" though (I'm a real Rambler guy... modified 63 Classic wagon daily driver!) :D

21. PLEASE do a TECH on this!

22. I really dig making my own tools and I am glad I found a post with some great pics. I thought that I would add a couple of the tools that I built fo myself. The english wheel is something that I wanted for a long time so I got together with a few friends and had the top wheels cast from 4140 and then I machined the five we had cast. A great machinist friend turned up the four anvil wheels from 4130 bar stock. I built the frame from 4"x6"x.175" wall tube. The press is built from 3"x.25" square tube. I did buy the press break that is sitting in it though. I needed one for a job I did and didn't have time to build it. Anyway I hope you like the shots. Get out to you garages and start building.

English Wheel HAMB.jpg Hydrolic Press.jpg

23. Unfortunately no, I didn't think about it and all I had was a film camera then. Now I have a didgital and take pics every step of the way. I do have some detail shots of the finished product though, if you want me to post those let me know and I'll get on it.

24. Low350

Low350
    from Australia

Here are some pics of my RR track anvil that I built on the weekend.. Not super hi-tech but bloody useful!! This was all from scrap I had laying about.. The RR track was an old fence post that I pulled out, a piece of C channel just wide enough to fit over the top of the track and a slab of 3/4" steel for the top..

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377495295.484109.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377495308.516492.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377495320.916359.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

25. budd

budd

here is the thread to post your anvil on, http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235784&page=100