Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
Jive-Bomber
Alliance Member

Default Just a loaner...

In the early 60s, my dad worked at McClure-Norrington Chevrolet at 46th and Troost in Kansas City. He started out in the service department doing "New Car Get Ready", which was a common starting position at the time. When the new Chevy's would come o...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Hotrod1959

Default Re: Just a loaner...

Kind of reminds me of when my brother and i use to take my parents car on Sunday mornings to do our paper routes. My brother borrowed my moms keys and made a copy. We would load up our papers and push the car down the street. Finally got busted one morning when my sister went to use the car and noticed that it was already warmed up on a very cold winter morning.

Having worked at a Ford and Chevrolet dealerships in my youth I can relate to the story. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by Hotrod1959; 04-24-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
davidh73750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod1959 View Post
Kind of reminds me of when my brother and i use to take my parents car on Sunday mornings to do our paper routes. My brother borrowed my moms keys and made a copy. We would load up our papers and push the car down the street. Finally got busted one morning when my sister went to use the car and noticed that it was already warmed up on a very cold winter morning.

Having worked at a Ford and Chevrolet dealerships in my youth I can relate to the story. Thanks for posting.

wow! I did the same thing in the 80's with a olds cutlass wagon. sunday morning papers were often cold in jan-feb.

I wonder if troost was a rough area back then?? I know off 63rd and troost it was in the 90's. Often stripped cars were abandoned after being stolen off the sides streets

Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
truckjim
Grenade Inspector

Had that job in the 70's. It was a move up from the L&O rack. Thanks for the memory.

Folks bought a new Chevy in '65. Dealer delivered it with out of balance tires, dry (I mean DRY) front wheel bearings, low oil level in the tranny (3 speed stick) and the rearend. Hub caps were on nice and tight! The local trusted Big O Tire dealer made everything right and the Cheby ran true for thousands of miles. That 283 ran from Ca to Tx and got 20+ mpg and the trip home was 'quick' as Dad was recovering from food poisoning. Texas roadhouse chili claimed another! I've wanted to go back ever since and next year in Austin is looking good.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
badshifter
Alliance Member

I like your dad! Just the right amount of mischief and guilt! Disconnected a few speedos myself back in the day for various "emergency" use.....
Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
belair
Old School HAMBer

You're always a good read, J-B. Thanks.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
jroberts
Alliance Member

I can imagine how nervous your dad was as he walked back to work on Monday morning. I bet he was glad to see that lady drive that car away. Out of sight and out of mind. Thanks for another great read.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
Harrison
Old School HAMBer

Awesome story!

Thanks!

JH
Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
flamingokid

I did the same job at a dealership in the late 70s while I was in High School.By then,it was take 'em out and beat them to see if anything let loose.A different product by then.We would take them into an industrial area where we would race around and would occasionally encounter guys from the Ford dealership and mix it up a little.I still hate cars from that era,some of the worst crap ever to come out of Detroit.Then I ran a Chrysler dealership years later and found that Detroit had sunk to new lows.Since the early 90s,I've changed my mind about American cars,but it takes awhile to earn back that loyalty.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
flamingokid

Back in those days,anybody in the know always wondered how many miles were "actually" on a vehicle.Speedos were about as easy to disconnect as a battery cable.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
typo41
Grenade Inspector

My Dad worked as a mechanic in a Sports Car Dealer in South Dakota, talk about unusual at the time. But disconnecting the speedo was common as they would have to swap car with other dealers, and yes they felt they were 'breaking in ' the motors for the customers they knew would take out and instantlly want to see 'what they would do". So I grew up for awhile with unHAMB Alpines, Tigers, Jags and a race Lola and Austin Martin,, it was tough.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
paperdog
Alliance Member

stealin cars impressin the relatives .. eventual guilt... fessin up long after any one could be in trouble

my dad is 90 and we are just now hearing stories . that could have sent us boys in a direction we could not have recovered from easily had we heard them as kids ... funny now tho... each time they change a bit which adds to the mystery

i had related the dog cut in half story a while back when dad was riding shotgun in a car with suicide doors..
Old 04-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
chigger
Alliance Member

Awesome
Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
DoubleJ52
Alliance Member

The first Camaro (69) I owned was a one owner from McClure Norrington.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #15
4t64rd
Old School HAMBer

Location: Pinellas County - the skin tag on the underside of America's wang, Florida

My dad bought a '69 Kingswood new from a dealer in Detroit... it went through front tires in about 6 months, so he took it to the dealer, and they couldn't find anything wrong (big surprise), but put a new set of tires on it... The next time the tires wore out, he took it to a tire place, they told him the tie rod was bent in the middle and the adjustments were all the way out, so they couldn't align it... He took it back to the dealer and bitched, they replaced it... Turns out the guy that drove it off the truck fell off the ramp and bent it, got his buddies in the shop to do a quick fix.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
Ryan
Administrator

Your dad rules.

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 04-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
scottybaccus
Old School HAMBer

Not long after getting my liscense, I would occaisionally sneak the "loaner" out of our garage. My Dad had purchased the old Fury new when I was a toddler and cared for it just as well as it approached it's teen years.
Somehow, he always knew. He never lowered the boom on me right then, but held it in reserve unil I was asking for something special. It was a long time before I figured out what that lone toothpick on the dash was really there for....

Tejas Malcontents, Hutto

Last edited by scottybaccus; 04-24-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
tb33anda3rd
Old School HAMBer

that kind of thing makes the best stories...no harm, no foul.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #19
FuelRoadster

That was a good story,,,I don't know how long your parents were at the wedding deal but Im guessing a cpl hours or so.
I'll bet your dads mind was spinning the whole time,trying to focus on the event,but with the red Chevy lurking in there somewhere...
Do you have any pictures of the actual car?
Thanks!
Old 04-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
57Custom300

Cool story. SOP in dealerships. Worked at one where a new car porter fell in love with a new 75 Torino Elite. Drove for almost a year. Kept it clean and well maintained. Then the higher ups came looking for it at the end of the year. He didnt work there too much longer.
online   Reply With Quote