Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > Traditional Hot Rods

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
erlomd
Senior Member
 
erlomd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Miami, FL (Back Home)
Posts: 1,207
Default 1940's period correct hot rods

I just wanted to start a thread on period correct 1940's hot rods...everything from t buckets, model A's & B's, customs etc...if anyone has cool pics of some, cool stories, engine builds, distinctive chops...heck anything that was popular or not so popular to do in the 40's would be awesome I think....theres been a growing popularity of 60's hotrods and late 50's hotrods...as cool as these periods are, i think its harder to find some of the 40's...so lets see em!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
erlomd
Senior Member
 
erlomd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Miami, FL (Back Home)
Posts: 1,207
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods



i found this picture at kustomrama.com it said its from 1952...great pic maybe 40's inspired since its really early 50's...40's seems harder to find
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
CRASHNBURNS
Senior Member
 
CRASHNBURNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wyoming, the threshold of hell
Posts: 1,784
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlomd View Post


i found this picture at kustomrama.com it said its from 1952...great pic maybe 40's inspired since its really early 50's...40's seems harder to find
I have this picture as my background, It's been bugging me, what is that pipe coming up between the header pipes? Oil fill?
__________________
  1. Just think, right now as you read this, some guy somewhere is gettin’ ready to hang himself.
offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
HeyyCharger
Member
 
HeyyCharger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 935
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASHNBURNS View Post
I have this picture as my background, It's been bugging me, what is that pipe coming up between the header pipes? Oil fill?
Looks to be a home made sump breather....

HC.
__________________
'WISE GUYS CC.'

"You gotta let the power speak..... You gotta learn to listen and feel it!"
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
jrblack30
Senior Member
 
jrblack30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pot hole infested Western, New York
Posts: 2,255
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASHNBURNS View Post
I have this picture as my background, It's been bugging me, what is that pipe coming up between the header pipes? Oil fill?
Since this is a 34 Ford, Firewall space is at a premium with a 59 motor, My guess is the he is running a short fuel pump stand that does not offer a filler tube, they added a filler tube in the pan.
__________________
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” Benjamin Franklin


WANTED: 51-62 Caddilac speed gear.
WANTED: 1935 Lincoln type "K" tailight.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
studog51
Member
 
studog51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: lake view terrace, los angles
Posts: 919
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlomd View Post


i found this picture at kustomrama.com it said its from 1952...great pic maybe 40's inspired since its really early 50's...40's seems harder to find
pomona police department thats cool.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
31fordV860
Member
 
31fordV860's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Corona, Calif.
Posts: 866
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

My AV8 was a WWII Navy Pilots 31 Coupe which hopped up in 49 From 40' Ford :
V860 & Trans,juiced Brakes,40 Steering Wheel.
-Hopped-up grocery getter- His parents bought from George Sutton Ford/Inglewood,Ca 1931. Parents gave it to him in 1946 after War.He drove it from 49 to 59, then it was garaged.My father and I pulled it from garage in 2002.See August09 Streetrodder for article.
__________________
yeah...I can remember when smoking was good.... and drag racing was bad....
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
ChefMike
Alliance Member
 
ChefMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Masschusetts
Posts: 559
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

This is a great thread as it seems that the site has drifted away from hot rods ! Nice to see this Thanks!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:52 AM   #9
n.z.rodder
Member
 
n.z.rodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 996
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

A selection of Harry Westergard Customs;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnIQ2GRq4hw
__________________
Don't get on it if you can't stay in it!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:57 AM   #10
oilslinger53
Senior Member
 
oilslinger53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: covina CA
Posts: 2,409
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

Remember, half of that decade was during wartime. Most of the guys that were able bodied enough to build a car were in the service.
__________________
I think I breathed too much rust...
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:47 AM   #11
Rickybop
Old School HAMBer
 
Rickybop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,623
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilslinger53 View Post
Remember, half of that decade was during wartime. Most of the guys that were able bodied enough to build a car were in the service.
Somewhat true, but many a teenager was still runnin' 'em at Murock during the war. Lot's of younger brothers snagged their older brother's car, and went racin'. Some built their own.
__________________
We were in the produce aisle.
Me: "Are you my sweet potato?"
Her: "I yam...I yam."
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:00 AM   #12
HeyyCharger
Member
 
HeyyCharger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 935
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

A BONED's '30 coupe.



HC.
__________________
'WISE GUYS CC.'

"You gotta let the power speak..... You gotta learn to listen and feel it!"
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:09 AM   #13
skywolf
Senior Member
 
skywolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 1,865
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

Dick Kraft

offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
bustingear
Senior Member
 
bustingear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,218
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyyCharger View Post
A BONED's '30 coupe.



HC.
This is too clean and pretty for period correct. Nice car but....
__________________
"Look out boys! I gotta license to fly!"
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
Joy550
FNG
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: usa
Posts: 9
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

Remember, half of that decade was during wartime. Most of the guys that were able bodied enough to build a car were in the service.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #16
Speedy Canuck
Alliance Member
 
Speedy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Onterrible, Canada
Posts: 1,707
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy550 View Post
Remember, half of that decade was during wartime. Most of the guys that were able bodied enough to build a car were in the service.
Yes... but there were still guys building hotrods for the first two years of the 40s prior to *full* American involvement in the war, and then for the five years post war...

I'm just not sure what your comment is in reference to.
__________________
- Speedy

"Oh say, chum, you're all dirty from workin' on this fine mo-sheen."

>Instagram<
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:02 AM   #17
oilslinger53
Senior Member
 
oilslinger53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: covina CA
Posts: 2,409
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

Here's one that appears to be from the late 40's

__________________
I think I breathed too much rust...
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:30 AM   #18
historynw
Alliance Member
 
historynw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hudson Valley NY
Posts: 810
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

The forty's were a rough time World War II, gas rationing, scrap metal drives.
Most were away overseas and those few left behind were working around the clock on the arsenal of democracy. It wasn't a fun time until VE & VJ days came.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:38 AM   #19
Rickybop
Old School HAMBer
 
Rickybop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,623
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

Don't get too discouraged with the thread yet, erlomd. It's a really good premise. Give it a chance. We'll bump it up for a couple of days, and see what happens. The thing is, a lot of people...I'll make that most people...even here, don't realize that the '50s was not the heyday of hot-rodding. Doesn't sound right, does it? It's true. There were more roadsters (the original hot rods) runnin' around in the '40s than in the fifties. There was a time, when a coupe was not even considered for building a hot rod. The original hot rods were racers that just so happened to be used during the week for daily transportation. The roadsters were lighter than any coupe or sedan, so roadsters it was. Some might be suprised to know that many racers didn't even want to use the '32/'33/'34 model. Many considered those to be too big and heavy also. Model As and Ts were faster, 'cause again, they were lighter and they pushed less wind. Sure, later they used the '32 chassis, 'cause it usually already had provisions for the V-8. But they didn't come into wide-spread use until the masses were done with them. And the fact is, the flathead V-8 was not immediately embraced by hot rodders. Initially, there was much more aftermarket development for the bangers. The four cylinders had been around longer. The V-8s had to catch up. Guys like Vic Edelbrock and Barny Navaro finally brought the V-8 up to speed, though. Lots of guys think hot rodding took off around the late '40s...you know...after the war, when Hot Rod magazine first got published. And in a sense, it did...it spread across the nation, but not in it's original form. True, the guys came home, and built a lot of rods. But not necessarily roadsters. In the '30s and through the '40s, it was ALL roadsters. So this has the potential to be a great thread. OK, enough talkin' history...let's see it! Let's see if there are enough here who can contribute to a '40s theme. Remember guys...NO overhead engines. NO sedans, and very few coupes. (maybe from the very late '40s) MOSTLY ROADSTERS! And some will have steel wheels, but many will be runnin' wires. Let's revisit our roots!!!

I'll start. Here's one of my favorites. Looks to be a pic from the late '40s, judging by the barely seen car on the other side of the street. Really, this is a fairly modern-style hot rod for this thread. It's a '32, running a S.C.O.T. blown flathead Cadillac engine. In it's time, it would've been like runnin' a blown Hemi in 1970! Bad MF!!! ............P.S. Some people have asked where I got this pic from. It's from the internet, but I forget where! If anyone knows, please tell. "Happy Hot Rodding" - Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car hot rod 1932 Ford roadster flathead Cadillac engine vp.jpg
Views:	2366
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1481830   Click image for larger version

Name:	car hot rod 1932 Ford roadster supercharged flathead Cadillac engine vp.jpg
Views:	2544
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	1481833  
__________________
We were in the produce aisle.
Me: "Are you my sweet potato?"
Her: "I yam...I yam."

Last edited by Rickybop; 11-12-2011 at 09:37 AM.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:05 AM   #20
revkev6
Old School HAMBer
 
revkev6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ma
Posts: 2,852
Default Re: 1940's period correct hot rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickybop View Post
Don't get too discouraged with the thread yet, erlomd. It's a really good premise. Give it a chance. We'll bump it up for a couple of days, and see what happens. The thing is, a lot of people...I'll make that most people...even here, don't realize that the '50s was not the heyday of hot-rodding. Doesn't sound right, does it. It's true. There were more roadsters (the original hot rods) runnin' around in the '40s than in the fifties. There was a time, when a coupe was not even considered for building a hot rod. The original hot rods were racers that just so happened to be used during the week for daily transportation. The roadsters were lighter than any coupe or sedan, so roadsters it was. Some might be suprised to know that many racers didn't even want to use the '32/'33/'34 model. Many considered those to be too big and heavy also. Model As and Ts were faster, 'cause again, they were lighter and they pushed less wind. Sure, later they used the '32 chassis, 'cause it usually already had provisions for the V-8. But they didn't come into wide-spread use until the masses were done with them. And the fact is, the flathead V-8 was not immediately embraced by hot rodders. Initially, there was much more aftermarket development for the bangers. The four cylinders had been around longer. The V-8s had to catch up. Guys like Vic Edelbrock and Barny Navaro finally brought the V-8 up to speed, though. Lots of guys think hot rodding took off around the late '40s...you know...after the war, when Hot Rod magazine first got published. And in a sense, it did...it spread across the nation, but not in it's original form. True, the guys came home, and built a lot of rods. But not necessarily roadsters. In the '30s and through the '40s, it was ALL roadsters. So this has the potential to be a great thread. OK, enough talkin' history...let's see it! Let's see if there are enough here who can contribute to a '40s theme. Remember guys...NO overhead engines. NO sedans, and very few coupes. (maybe from the very late '40s) MOSTLY ROADSTERS! And some will have steel wheels, but many will be runnin' wires. Let's revisit our roots!!!

I'll start. Here's one of my favorites. Looks to be a pic from the late '40s, judging by the barely seen car on the other side of the street. Really, this is a fairly modern-style hot rod for this thread. It's a '32, running a S.C.O.T. blown flathead Cadillac engine. In it's time, it would've been like runnin' a blown Hemi in 1970! Bad MF!!! ............P.S. Some people have asked where I got this pic from. It's from the internet, but I forget where! If anyone knows, please tell. "Happy Hot Rodding" - Rick




I don't know about this 32 being 40's. that's not a scot blower, it's a gmc, 3-71. guessing it would be 49 at the earliest. wasn't navarro one of the only guys playing with the jimmy blower in 49??
offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.