Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 07-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default Pikes Peak

Sometime around 1915, Spencer Penrose was putting the finishing touches on his life's work - "Pikes Peak Highway." After making the pass passable by widening and leveling the road, Spencer decided he needed a marketing catch to get tourist to trust h...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
striper
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Pikes Peak

No time now but added to my faves list to peruse later. Thanks.

http://www.readersdigest.com.au/most-trusted-professions-2013
Old 07-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Engine Pro 5X
Old School HAMBer

The Unser family ruled this place for years. Racing up the coarse is said to be a ADDICTIVE PASSION!!! Flirting with that demon!!! Go figure>>>>.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
hotrodladycrusr
Old School HAMBer

After more then 100 years, some of the road and hairpin turns still looks the same, dirt and gravel. Very cool photos, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
JeffreyJames
Old School HAMBer

I had a similar experience this past weekend as we went to a Model A farm in the mountains. To to make a long story short, we got lost and ended up taking a trail/dirt road trying to make our way off the mountain only inches from the edge of the cliff. It took us about an hour to find our way to a more respectable elevation.

Pikes Peak seems way cooler and those images are proof. Not something I think I would try but I would be more then willing to watch some people double down and get dirty....or dead. I could do without the latter though.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Revhead
Old School HAMBer

A couple of years ago we drove up the road to pikes peak.. It's scary enough going 30 mph. about 50% of the time all you can see out the windshield is sky.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
xderelict

Record sits at 10:01,broke by Team Suzuki.The record was 10:04 and stood for like 16 years.Takes a tourist more than an hour to drive up.Bonneville and Pikes Peak,way cool grass roots racing.Thanks for the post,the blown Harley Davidson entry in the 50s photos is bad ass.Google shows it as offy powered and did the climb in15:42:30 in 1953

Last edited by xderelict; 07-23-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
hotroddon
Old School HAMBer

Not a HAMB car but relates to "The Mountain"
We raced the Rally Car class in 1986 and during practice drove the car off the cliff at Engineers Corner. About a 30ft drop to a small "ledge" on the mountain that stopped the car - abruptly. Otherwise it was hundreds of feet to the bottom. The car spent the next 3 days at the local Dodge dealer on the frame machine getting straightened. We had to continue practice in a 1 ton extended wheelbase Dodge van. Quite embarrassing (they require you to run all practice sessions as a rookie). Did end up with a third in class after all that
Dodge Omni GLH Turbo - the Shelby built creations

Old 07-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
Rand Man
Old School HAMBer

My question is: were the majority of the cars (in thse photos) purpose built for Pikes Peak, or were they regular race cars that also ran at the peak. The reason I'm asking is, I see several of the sprint cars running bolt-on wheels. A HAMB'er (Recycler) wants to run his speedster at Bonneville. He was told by Bonne officials that he couldn't run his car in a vintage sprint car class because it didn't have knock-off wheels. It's a bit off the topic of this post, but are we looking at one-race race cars?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
Rootie Kazoootie
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Man View Post
My question is: were the majority of the cars (in thse photos) purpose built for Pikes Peak, or were they regular race cars that also ran at the peak. The reason I'm asking is, I see several of the sprint cars running bolt-on wheels. A HAMB'er (Recycler) wants to run his speedster at Bonneville. He was told by Bonne officials that he couldn't run his car in a vintage sprint car class because it didn't have knock-off wheels. It's a bit off the topic of this post, but are we looking at one-race race cars?
The open wheel class is now pretty much dominated by r/e cars now and the traditonal upright (championship class) is, I believe, gone. However the uprights still race the local CHCA hillclimbs. To answer your question, the upright cars are based on normal sprint cars but modified to allow the use of a transmission, turn L&R and bolt on wheels are common.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
REVEREND JAKE

Lucky.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #12
hotrodladycrusr
Old School HAMBer

Looks like a Corvette
Old 07-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #13
Engine Pro 5X
Old School HAMBer

[quote=PoopStain06;2982026]A few more from my favorite site....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Sometime around 1915, Spencer Penrose was putting the finishing touches on his life's work - "Pikes Peak Highway." After making the pass passable by widening and leveling the road, Spencer decided he needed a marketing catch to get tourist to trust h...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
Look what I found lurking in the cool pics thread>>>>.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
Jobe

damn...

Old 07-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
mtlcutter
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopercruisers View Post
damn...

I was going to post this pic but you beat me to it. This one is my favorite. DAMN!!!!! Indeed.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #16
tractorguy
Grenade Inspector

Great post and unbelievable photos. I have had the pleasure of camping on the mountain the night before the race, having a great campfire breakfast in the cool, crisp air and being in our favorite turns for the race.

I managed to crawl into a large culvert that was under one of the turns and then shooting pictures as the cars literally drove over me.

Real racers, real cars, real hot rod heritage and real racing on a beautiful mountain.

Sadly, there is an environmental movement underway to PAVE the entire road because there is dirt, gravel etc. runoff damaging the pristine wildlife on the mountain.....so get out there before it is gone.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #17
Jack Daniel
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorguy View Post

Sadly, there is an environmental movement underway to PAVE the entire road because there is dirt, gravel etc. runoff damaging the pristine wildlife on the mountain.....so get out there before it is gone.
If I remember correctly about half of the course has already been paved and they are working on the rest. My grandparents have a cabin in the mountains that they spend the summers at. You can sit on their front balcony with a good set of binoculars and watch the race. It's only possible to actually see the last 1/4 or so of the course (above the tree line).
Old 07-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #18
ChevyGirlRox
Old School HAMBer

Scary stuff for sure! Having driven up Pikes Peak a couple times, most recently last summer in a roadster, I can tell you first hand it can get unbelievably hairy even in a fairly modern day car. I would encourage everyone to do it at least once. And if you're brave, in your hot rod! I hope they NEVER pave the dirt and gravel parts, they are the most fun!

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Join the HAMB Book Club!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #19
zman
Alliance Member

I'm bummed they stopped the Chimney Rock Hillclimb here in North Carolina, I think the last time it ran was '95. But there are a couple of newer ones that have been running. It's some of the coolest racing ever.... I always wanted to make it to Pikes Peak for the races...
Old 07-23-2008, 11:20 PM   #20
autobilly
Old School HAMBer

Interesting site and great photo's. Thanks for bringing it to Ryan's attention Drewfus.
Some may know, but there is a film of a guy named Ari Vatanen(?) racing up to the peak in very quick time, circa mid 8o's. The footage is taken both from the car and trackside. It takes the viewer on the full ride and gives a real idea of the experiance.
Vatanen's crew chief was a guy called Jean Todt(?) who later went on to head the Farrari F1 team.
I don't know how to find this film (I've seen it once on someones laptop), but recomend anyone who does to post, as it is well worth a look.