Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Best sounding engines ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldColt, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Since I cant find a clip of Jim Tippers car before he rolled it this would be a close second.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  2. About the best sounding engine I have ever heard was a full race injected Ford flathead in a front engined dragster.

3. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

I have been listening to those old cadillacs run at car shows and on line. I love the sound of those.

4. Don't forget about Jake......

5. Fogger

Fogger

My old C/Gas Chevy 327 roller, power shifting at 8,500. Music to my ears!

6. But I think this flatty wins

7. Thanks for the link! That's not only musical, but a great demonstration of the Doppler Effect. :D

Mid 60's 327 with solid lifters always sounds sweet, especially with closed exhaust. A wonderfully precise, mechanical sound. And if the engine's not fully warmed up there's a layer of piston noise if it's got forged pistons.

Big displacement Olds engines had a sound of their own in a drag car. If you were near the starting line during a launch a Stock or Super Stock Olds would pound your chest like a Hemi.

Inline sixes with open headers had a nice raspy bark to them. Sort of like a mad chainsaw.

Lots of interesting sounds from an old hit 'n miss stationary engines. All sorts of mechanical clatter from the exposed linkages and rocker arms and governors mixed in with wheezing, squeaking and belching. ;)

8. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Rolls Royce/Packard Merlin at about 506 mph. 3350 or 4360 at same. If it doesn't make the hair on the back of your neck stand up... well you are not an engine man. Oh and Phill Hill in the 412 M.I. Ferrari wheel to wheel with Chuck Daigh in the Scarab accelerating away from turn 8 at Riverside on an October afternoon in 1958. For a then 8 year old the orchestral sound of the guttural small block juxtaposed to the high pitched V-12 Ferrari, both being rowed through the gears by a couple of the best is still stuck on several of my remaining neurons.

9. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

holy crap, that fucking Y block is screaming "Jake" has my vote

10. bobadame

bobadame

11. Agree, the V-12s sound so good.

12. brandokust

brandokust

Im a little partial since I built these, but the Kaase Boss'9 and Ford Indy V8 both sound wicked.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tzmz4lHwaX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Go REAL traditional: Miller 91" or 270 Offy or D.O.HAL, now THAT's TRADITIONAL!!! If you want a 'modern' sound try an unmuffled 12v-71 under load!! Remember: "Racing is how to turn money into noise!" (I 'borrowed' that off the sprintcar thread!)

14. easyissy

easyissy

Another vote for Y-block!

15. 4rod

4rod

i'd have to agree that y blocks sound pretty rad, however flatty's with smittie's are the best

16. MickeyB

MickeyB
    from Arvada, CO

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  17. OneBadMechanic

OneBadMechanic

1. I think all older pushrod engines seem to have a grittier and mcuh more raw sound than todays mills.

2. Flatheads and Y blocks with straight pipes sound amazing. The 292 especially sounds like its cammed and I could grab a six-pack and a lawnchair and sit next to the exhaust and listen to it all day....well till the fumes make me pass out. But up till that point it'd be all gravy.

3. Plus, there's no such thing as a bad-sounding hemi.

18. skywolf

skywolf

19. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

This gets my vote....just sweet music to my ears...

20. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Not trad but a pro stock engine leaving the line at high rpm.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Zorbas Ghost. Blown, injected SBC on alcohol:cool:

22. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

23. my favorite sound of all time is when an AA motor goes from alky to full nitro at start up. that first 10 seconds of cackle gives me goosebumps. the first rap makes my heart leap.

SBC on fuel at 10k

Al Teagues hemi at bonneville

a full field of NASCAR down the straight on a big track

that 3rd gear wind on the y block was pretty freaking awesome!!!

24. Tex_06

Tex_06

All stock Buick inline 8 (320 or the smaller 248). Smooth, like an industrial sewing machine, just purrs and purrs.

25. High reving hot 289 in my fathers race car does it for me.

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've heard Teague's Hemi at full load, those early Indys were stunning, and who in their right mind doesn't love the awe and terror of nitro. But, nothing brings a smile to someone's face like a well tuned Model A idling nice n slow with the spark retarded. Even the most hardcore just get that ..."oh will you listen to that..." when they hear it, be the 1st time or simply 'again'. Since childhood, the simple sweetness of that has always stuck with me.

27. CayoRV

CayoRV

Any nailhead Buick, a sound all their own.
    Also most any (off topic) formula 1 engine. Anything turning over 12,000 rpms has got to
    raise the hair on the back of your neck!

28. 1pickup

1pickup

Nothing better than a flathead with no mufflers & pipes out the back. But, a close second is a flathead with thrush steelpacks out in front of the rear wheels. Or, maybe that's vice-versa!

29. no55mad

no55mad

All the above mentioned are great!! The Ford Model A also plays a great tune. Dad had a 1946 Farmall A and it had a nice note too - after he could no longer drive, my Mother said she missed hearing him driving it around. Ever heard a pulse jet engine, (think German Buzz Bomb) they are also very unique!!

30. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Small journal 327 with solid lifter cam and big compression .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.