Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint Question - Am I Asking For A Problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Canuck, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Canuck

Canuck

Started off by sandblasting, etc the body of my coupe. Once the bodywork was completed in a area sealed the area with PPG DP48LF Epoxy Primer (the gray green stuff). Body is done on underside and inside, still the rear quarters, roof and trunk to go, but they are close. And a final seal coat after hi-build.

As the original plan did not include the underside and inside, was just going to use Rustoleum, I am now running short on my original primer purchase and don't have enough to finish. Sounds like a easy remedy, go buy some more.

The problem is PPG sales in Manitoba no longer sell the LF paint, it is now LC and the 48 color is no longer available.

Was hoping to run the car in primer for the first year to get any bugs out and make a few other changes that I have planned.

What kind of problems would I be opening myself to if I switched to Dupont at this stage. They have a dark gray and I can probably get a better price as well.

If no major problems, what LV primer would you recommend?

Thanks for the help.

I can spend days making and remaking a part to get it exactly the way I want and months searching for that little obscure part that I believe will make my build special but this kind of problem sure cranks my ------

Canuck

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. i don't know what lc is but things must be different in camada. dp48lf is white here and dp40 is the gray green. i would bet any epoxy would work.

3. Canuck

Canuck

4. jumbogem29

jumbogem29
    from Alabama

Why not just go back and buy the PPG DP50 Gray if your going to buy dupont Gray any way. They both have no UV protection.

5. David Totten

David Totten

These primers by there self as a top coat do not last very long. moisature soaks through , No UV protection. S;hould have know problem with dupont going over it if scuffed up .