Register now to get rid of these ads!

250ci straight six Chevy firing order?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blacktop Graffiti, May 15, 2008.

1. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Mid '60's or so. Also how do you find top dead center on these? I can do a sbc while asleep but don't know this.

2. 153624 for the firing order

TDC - method I've used with the head on is to take the plugs out and the valve cover off. Put a screwdriver down the hole of #1, turn motor over by hand. After intake valve has closed and screwdriver is all the way up, you've gotten at least pretty darn close to TDC. Curious to hear what anyone else does though.

Of course, the way to be sure is yank the head off.

3. Big Tony

Big Tony

Thats the way i do it... Never had a problem that way

4. belair

belair

right on all counts

5. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

So do you point the rotor to the #1 cylinder?

6. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

fifteen is to young, 36 is to old and 24 is just right. 15 36 24 you,ll never forget it.

7. duke182

duke182

as stated firing order: 153624

this is how i find top dead center without a guage
    take a spark plug
    break the center out
    insert a bolt through the threaded piece
    weld it in place
    screw the new tool into the plug hole in the head
    rotate the engine by hand until it comes to a positive stop
    mark the balancer at 0 degrees
    rotate the engine in the opposite direction, by hand, until it comes to a positive stop
    mark the balancer at o degrees
    mark the balancer half way between the first two marks
    erase the two outer marks
    scribe the inner mark permanently(scribe or hacksaw blade)
    this is top dead center.

if your rotor is not pointed at #1 when you set the mark at 0 degrees, lift the distributer and reset it so that it is.
    from there you can advance or retard the timing as needed by rotating the distributor housing.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys are making too much work out of a simple action.
    Disconnect coil wire
    Pull #1 plug
    with one finger covering the spark plug hole bump the engine over with the starter..
    When the compression blows against your finger The piston should be close to the top of the compression stroke and the timing marks should line up or be close.
    It might take a few trys to get the timing marks to line up but it isn't rocket science.
    The distributor rotor should be pointing at # 1 on the cap and the points should be just starting to open.

9. mrdulley

mrdulley
    from texas

hi all im new here i have a 250 cid in an old nova i bought and i cant get it to run right when your under a load it seems to run good but when your at an idel or at a cruzing speed it seems to have a eratic or a phantom miss or stumbel its not a dead miss like in one cyl this is what iv done iv put 3 rebuilt carbs new distributer wit points and iv removed the points and even installed a petronix hei conversion and coil new plugs wires cap and rotor new fuel pump and filter new fuel tank and sender unit iv adjusted the valves and did a compression test at 87 to 90 psi all of this iv done has made no change im lost any suggestions my email is [email protected]

thanks james

10. diamond jeff

diamond jeff
    from montana

One common issue that throws a guy off on these motors, the harmonic balancers have a bad habit of slipping over the years. I attribute it to old age and belt v grooves on outer ring. New balancers for 194,230,250,292 sixes run about $60.00. Makes it alot easier to time.