Register now to get rid of these ads!

GARAGE HEATER....Which Do You Like..Looking for Advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hellerlj, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

2. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

I bought a dehumidifier for my shop and the first night I used it I filled a 5 gallon bucket with water, I was shocked because the shop is insulated and sheet rocked. You can mount it out of the way and run your drain line thru the wall to the outside. No more moisture on anything after I installed this. A good one will run about $200.00

3. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

lost my roof to a mr. heater running on propane.......fire inspector said it had a defective valve ..........thank god i had insurance.........using a wood pellet stove now ...so far so good

4. Willy301

Willy301

Yeah, the heat and cold cycles will cause this pretty readily. If round the clock heating isn't an option, like said above, a dehumidifier is your friend. You can buy a cheap temp gauge to hang on the wall, get one with the humidity reading too. You will see a difference in a short time with the dehumidifier.

5. Lots of good info here. Might I suggest you check out garagejournal.com. a TON of info over there! Well worth joining. I have a 20x20 attached garage. I am planning on insulating and sheet rocking te whole thing this spring. I've done a bunch of research and for me I am going with a Dayton G73 220v electric heater. Todd

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The absolute best way to heat your garage is with a radiant tube heater. I have a 10' long natural gas unit in my 24x26 garage and it keeps it toasty warm and is really affordable to run.

Alberta winters are much more bearable with a warm garage.

http://www.calcana.com/garage-heaters/garage-heaters.htm

Attached Files:

7. fatkoop

fatkoop

Might look around for a regular forced air gas furnace used in homes. I have about an 1800 sq. ft. shop and I used a 250,000BTU upright gas furnace, all ducted & stuff to put the heat right where you need it, just like a house. It was easy to install and has a regular house thermostat. Keeps me nice & cozy even in some pretty cold Colorado winters. Many folks around here get rid of good, but less efficient models to upgrade to a more efficient one, but the lesser ones are plenty enough for a shop where you are not running it full time.

8. I have two of the "hen house" 220 volt heaters ... small, easy to handle, have one hanging from the ceiling and, if needed I place the second one on the floor.

Attached two car garage (Southern Ontario Canada). Only run them when I'm going to be out there ... my car sat in my garage for 5 1/2 years with no paint (none ... no primer either) on it and it did not rust at all. My house is all brick and there is a door from the house to the garage. My guess is that there is enough heat loss through the (one attached) wall that condensation does not form. Garage is fully insulated and drywalled (except for the wall attached to the house).

Electric heat is the best for me ... no noxious/dangerous fumes and no tanks to fill.

Bought one heater from the farm Co-op for $99 years ago and bought the second from Home Depot for something like $69 or $79.

9. Oldhenry1

Oldhenry1

My shop is 24x30x10, the walls are insulated but not the ceiling. Got a free standing woodstove with a blower and a ceiling fan. I burn everyday in the fall and winter, burn ban or not. It's a living space to me so it's a labor of love.

10. 55 degrees brrrrrrrrrr:D

11. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I'm replacing the overhead Modine heater in my car shop right now and replacing it with a Dayton radiant tube heater. With the Modine heater the upper 1/2 of the shop was warm, the tools were cold, and sometime there would be ice under the car when you worked on them. With the tube heater, it heat objects not air, so tool are warm, the floor is warm and they run for about 1/2 the cost. I will have about $1400 installed (My labor ). I am looking forward to getting some real heat in the shop, I have heated my business building for 12 years with radiant heat and love it.

12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i think i might have to try the radiant tubes. i have a 40x60x12 shop that is currently heated with radiant in the concrete floors, and i use about 300 gallons in 6 weeks. i simply can't do that monetarily, so i need a new solution. i just want it to be 50-55 degrees in there, so i'm not asking much...

13. Choff

Choff

Check into buying a older mobil home propane furnace, I installed one for less than $200.00. It stands on floor with min. room, 30" x 30" x 80" tall.
    Bought furnance for $60.00 and with new roof vent pipe and drilled out the orfice to convert to natural gas and brought Natural Gas line in from house with the yellow flex pipe.
    Love it ,has fan mode for summer and it vents to the bottom so the fan blows across the floor. No duct work required.!!!
    Turn it on when working in the 2 car garage and turn off when gone.
    Choff
    29 dodge coupe:D

14. BJR

BJR

Get a propane trailer house furnace. They blow heat out the bottom. Set it up about 18 inches off the floor on a 2X4 frame and put a curved piece of sheet metal from the floor to the furnace to direct the heat out into the room. You can work under a car and the floor is warm. Just my 2 cents worth.

I guess I should have read the last post before I posted.

15. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

I beleave you get more BTU from oil than you get from propane

16. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

It's a little off topic but.......

I make my living as a self employed plumber. I have installed a lot of radiant floor heating systems for small garages that run off of a small boiler or a 40 gallon water heater. Obviously the heat system is in the concrete so for many that's not an option. BUT......a few jobs over the years were car guys who busted out old concrete, installed the heat coils.....and re-poured the concrete.

It's not the cheapest option but it can be done rather affordable if you know a concrete finisher or feel confident in your abilities. The heat system itself is pretty cheap on a small garage because it's only one zone. A water heater will heat a 24' x 24' garage footprint extremely well.

Something to think about anyhow. I wish I had it in my garage because it's the best form of heat. Nothing beats a warm floor. I'm just not in the mood to bust out concrete and deal with the mess but i'm tempted. The guys I know that have done it are very glad they did. It all depends on your person budget though.

Butch

17. hogridenfool

hogridenfool
    from chicago

I have a modine hotdog 55,000 btu it cost me $450.00 25x30 garage insulated and Sheetrocked double steel insulated doors it stays about 65deg.the hardest part was running the gas line,the heater has a power vent system so you can run the exhaust vent anywhere I've had it 6 years with out any problems.

18. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

i had the same problem to.they heat rooms up very fast thats the good thing,but the bad thing is whit the propane heaters they also fill your room very fast whit co2 an thats not so good.

19. x2.

20. Mike Mellow

Mike Mellow

Well, in my case I use the Dr. Infrared Heater DR-988 Garage Shop 208/240V, 4800/5600W Heater with 6-30R Plug.
    He heats Up To 600 Sq Ft . It is too big area. Last year
    I have a mildew in my garage in the winter so after this I start using this mega heater!

21. doug3968

doug3968

22. doug3968

doug3968

didn't realize post was 6 yrs old till now. radiant heat in the floor, pex lines, elect hot water heater, simple pump and thermostat. no CO, no CO2, paint with the heat on, don't get dust in the furnace. only way to go if there is an opportunity to use new cement.

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Stogy and pwschuh like this.
  24. Have you looked at the www.GarageJournal.com A lot of useful and knowledgeable info found here. Hope this helps.
    Sorry i didn't see this was already suggested. . .

Stogy likes this.
  25. 1934coupe

1934coupe

hdman has only propane

olscrounger your unit works great in CA but he's in Mn the winter temps are too cold to work efficently but the ac in summer is great. I have what hdman has only propane (I wish I had natural gas) my bldg is 40 x 60 with 14' walls and insulated. I keep it on 42 degrees when not working and turn it up to whatever I want when in there. The heat the objects in the bldg. I have gone around with a infra red thermometer and check the floor and its whatever the thermostat is on. Propane is pricey so if NG is available thats the ticket. I didn't know they made a oil fueled one. Do not use a unvented heater your life will depend on it.

Pat

26. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

I have a bottom drop mobile home furnace in my 30X36 10 foot side wall shop. It runs on propane my shop is well insulated with good windows and doors. I use about 325 gallons of propane a year. I use my shop almost everyday. I paid $350.00 for my heater from a mobile home dealer. I live in NW Minnesota so I understand the cold. good luck

27. I am using two 7000 watt ceiling mounted heaters in my older garage, and they have worked very well for me. I live on the wet coast, so they don't get much of a work out in this mild winter climate.
    For my new 2000 sq ft two story garage, I am using in floor hot water heating, and have a 70,000 BTU electric forced air furnace to supplement this set up if I need to warm the garage quickly. The garage will be well insulated.
    Bob

28. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

[​IMG]
    I have a 75,000 btu Hot Dawg gas heater for my 3 car garage. I don't use it very often so I can't tell you how much it costs to operate. Hope you find something you like and is affordable.

29. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Over the years, I have tried a lot of different ways to heat my two car garage. I broke down and bought a small house furnace powered by gas, Yes it cost a lot had to run a gas line out to the garage. But in the end it was worth it.
    If I would have done this in the start I would have saved money.....Good luck Mike

Early Ironman likes this.
  30. lee jackson

lee jackson

There are wide range of garage heaters available in the market right now I have tried 3 of then Mr. Heater, King electric heater, and Fareheat. From my experience Mr. Heater is the best for small and medium size garages. You can get its complete information from garageaxs.com