Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Oldsmobile Golden Rocket!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. scrubba

scrubba

You fail to mention REAL MEN Ran General motors in that era . By 1970, G M began using way too many committees , useless and redundant data and knuckled under government pressure . Today, we have Obummer motas . scrubba

3. belair

belair

Back when car guys ran the show, not bean-counters. Thanks for the article.

4. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

dig the steering wheel!

5. sololobo

sololobo

Oh yeah, I would order one just like the example is fine, yes, I want the same whitewalls. RED HOT!! ~sololobo~

6. oldthudman

oldthudman

One of my favorite GM Motorama concepts..........(Others are the Cadillac El Camino and the XP-38 El Dorado Brougham concept).......

Thanks for posting!!!

7. flamingokid

flamingokid

I can't remember a GM concept car that I didn't like.

8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

How is that book, anyway?

-Dave

9. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That speedo in the center of the wheel thing is RAD! Also, did the roof panels open and close by themselves with the door opening and closing? Or did the occupants have to open the panels manually? I'd love to see how the engineered them if they were automatic!

10. belair

belair

HA - I never heard of it until your link.

11. Jive-Bomber Jay - Cool post!

... and just 'cuz a Blog/thread can never have too many pics:

1956 Oldsmobile Golden Rocket Concept (Pic 07).jpg 1956 Oldsmobile Golden Rocket Concept (Pic 08).jpg 1956 Oldsmobile Golden Rocket Concept (Pic 09).jpg
    1956 Oldsmobile Golden Rocket Concept (Pic 10).jpg 1956 Oldsmobile Golden Rocket Concept (Pic 11).jpg 1956 Oldsmobile Golden Rocket Concept (Pic 12).jpg
    1956 Oldsmobile Golden Rocket Concept (Pic 13).jpg 1956 Oldsmobile Golden Rocket Concept (Pic 14) - in Blue.jpg 1956 Oldsmobile Golden Rocket Concept (Pic 15) - rear of Handout.jpg
    click thumbnails to enlarge

12. ... and checkout the 1:22 mark of this video:

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tUloRhQipfY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tUloRhQipfY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>​

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It's kinda interesting, but Mr. Lutz is a little too whiny in this book for my taste. He blames many of GM's woes on the liberal press, Toyota, the government, and many others. His message about design management needing to be independent of the bean counters is right on the money, though.

14. bob-o

bob-o

Harley Earl and his team knew a thing or two about style ;)

15. goetzcr

goetzcr

Ad line: "Designed to ride right up and over pedestrians...or spear them." To my eye this looks more contemporary than 1956, even by concept standards. The profile and color look great in HEMI's posted pic #10. Nice wheel and tire treatment, too. Anyone know if they made multiple copies or if they just painted the same car different colors?

Why do all the gals in the ads look so cosmopolitan while the poor motorama girl had to dress like a clown?

16. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Back in those days each division were separate entities. Each had their own engineering, sales, production and HQs. I grew up with Oldsmobile's in the garage as my father started at Oldsmobile here in Lansing in 1948. Until Roger Smith reorganized GM in 84 or 85, into the Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac Division (BOC) and the Chevrolet, Pontiac, Canadian Division. (CPC) each were responsible for their own success. Oldsmobile sales were so good that they were 3rd in sales behind Chevrolet and Ford back in the 70s. Under the reorganized units, Olds was dealt death blow after death blow being saddled with high cost cars in each line. One that has stuck out to me (OT) is my 97 Aurora listed for nearly 40K. Ten years later the '07 Buick replacement for the line was less money. Planned for years, they didn't survive.

17. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

it was originally painted gold for the 50th anniversary of Olds, then changed to blue, only one built.

18. Heo2

Heo2

and the women had clas and nice clothes. No fat tatoed
    #%&&" in hogwasherpants

19. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

20. WaldorfNomad

WaldorfNomad

I for one am glad and grateful that GM and Chrysler are still with us and not just a memory like Packard or Studebaker or so many other fine cars from the past. If some had had their way there would be no new Corvettes, Camaros or Challengers. I don't like politics on the HAMB but I just got an opportunity to visit the GM Tech Center and I had to say something. It could have been sold off in bankruptcy. To me, these companies are veterans. If it wasn't for GM, Chrysler, and Ford we might all be speaking German or Japanese in addition to driving their cars.

21. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

"Car Guys vs. Bean Counters" (Bob Lutz) is a must read for all gearheads.

22. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

23. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I disagree, the military veterans are the ones to thank so you need not speak German or Japanese.
    Me
    DSC(SW) USN, Ret.

24. Kettleman

Kettleman

Always loved the Olds, my first new car was an Olds 442.

Hoping to use an Olds powerplant in my coupe.

25. autobilly

autobilly

Jay, any idea of how many of these fabulous '5o's GM concepts have survived?

26. WaldorfNomad

WaldorfNomad

One of my favorites!

Attached Files:

27. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

I also as a retiree, am grateful and thank you for that support.

Agreed!

On the above subject, Had the support of GM / Chrysler not been there it's not likely any auto making in the US would have survived, domestic and import alike.

Oldsmobile put out a book for their 75th anniversary that has many concept vehicles in it and one that I really like was the 1955 Delta.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=9635
    and
    http://www.autoweteran.gower.pl/concept/1955_Oldsmobile_Delta_88.jpg

28. CarsInDepth.com

CarsInDepth.com

29. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

[​IMG]

Sounds like that would explain this picture.