Register now to get rid of these ads!

You've got too much junk, don't you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I helped my buddy move into his first house 5-6 years ago. His furniture and personal belongings barely filled a uhaul half way...it took a full uhaul and a half to take all the car parts. We had so much stuff stashed away in his parents house, we didnt realize how much was there until we had to move it.

3. Hate movin' huh?,,My Ladyhrp and I have lived in the same house for 39 years can you imagine the junk that we have accumulated in that span of time.

I have a 30 x 40 shop and a 24 x 30 and a 24 x 40 barn,,,packed to the rafters with junk,,I mean treasures.

Not to mention all the boss lady's antiques and house hold furnishings,,including her thermometer sign collection.

I don't want to think about moving but like you I need to evaluate my position and start to sell some of these treasures.

Now, that '32 Commercial shell you have,,you really need to send it my way and I'll find a nail somewhere to hang it on!:D HRP

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

5. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

Yeah, I've come to the realization that I'll never live to get it all finished....

6. sololobo

sololobo

This is a subject that will catch most of our interest. Almost all of us have to quote the late brilliant George Carlin, "to much stuff", I am guilty, as I still am harboring tons of inventory from my retail store, parts from past projects, and love o music junk. I thought I would try and start a little business helping some of my very serious hoarding bros out by selling online some of their access, a couple were excited at first and when it came down to really turning stuff loose, couldn't do it. So I am going to continue my own battle and see how I do. ~sololobo~

7. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

If my wife makes me move it will take longer to clean out the shop than it will the house. I have way to much junk myself and I cant figure out why. I have also come to realize that I am slowly becoming a hoarder.

8. I just moved too last month. I've been working none stop since I moved to get the house ready to bring a project home from storage. Sure, you will get rid of stuff, but you'll get more. :D

9. dmw56

dmw56

It's not junk! It valuable, irreplacable, resources.

10. Abomb

Abomb

Hey, don't you be calling it that...that's what my wife calls it.....and she's wrong too.

11. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

I will take everything you all are getting rid of. I figure the JJ members for having a higher class of junk.

12. seatex

seatex

our house is small, but my wife can't quit buying stuff for it. So, out in the shop goes something to make room for the new stuff. Of course I cant seem to stop buying stuff either, so I guess the only cure is more space to go with more stuff????

13. NOPE !!! Never too much stuff !! In fact I wish I had some of my old stuff back !!!! >>>>.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I stuck all my junk together, and came up with something fun

but for some reason I still have junk left over..i guess it never ends until they throw dirt on you

15. Racrdad

Racrdad

I guess I am just weird. I dont have too much junk / stuff / treasures, what ever you want to call it. I have a few items that I classify as true keepers and that stuff just stays without question. Lots of stuff is just that, stuff. Metal is just metal, cars are replaceable for the most part. There ya go, now all the haters can pile on and let me have it for not being a hoarder and not seeing the importance of piling up stuff you will never use or need. :D

16. belair

belair

yes I do. Been moving for the last two weeks after nine years of over-enthusiastic automotive collecting. Sin in haste, repent in leisure. I can't believe I have so much crap.

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mrs Highlander told me last weekend that I'm a hoarder. I suggested she sends my case to TV if it's that bad and that comment didn't go over very well. Then I said what if all of my stuff was candles and crystal type shit. That one went over worse. She asked me to explain why I bought a Delco Remy generator/starter at a garage sale. "Because I got it so cheap...and it works." Turns out it's for early yard tractors and it has lots of nut just off of battery charger. Considering that a new one is $198.00 on evilbay and other online service part sites, I'd say for $1.00 I couldn't afford not to buy it. That's just 1 item and I have dozens more like it. Every so often I purge my shit out at swap meet. Makes for a nice weekend away once in a while and feeds my habit for my cars. All of a sudden I wasn't a hoarder.

The true reality? I like lookin at some of my older shit. I like just seeing some of it on shelves. I'll never play with the Mighty Tonka trucks and tractors but they look good on the shelf. So does that old metal can of anti freeze. Those old Sun testers, and that old battery charger (that I'll never use). Too much? Nah, I just need another building so I can get more!!

18. Crankhole

Crankhole

My hoarding days are over. I've realized that I'm never gonna have the time to build all these projects floating in my head. A few items will be hung on the wall as garage art, things that I think others could use will get sold and the rest will go in the dumpster.

19. Nope, I don't have too much stuff, what I do have is a serious lack of places to keep it.

20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I don't have too much junk. I just have too little storage! :)

21. I would like a bigger place but the thought of moving keeps me here.

22. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Hmmmm, question: has there ever been a HAMB-only swapmeet? I know the classifieds are full of stuff for sale, but nothing beats a traditional swapmeet. Just wondering if there is anything like that?

23. bryan6902

bryan6902

My thoughts exactly!!! Saving something for a 'someday' project distracts from the 'now' for this guy. Unless it's something way rare, I'll part with it and save the space for something that isn't going to collect dust. Plus nothing beats the feeling of selling something for a few bucks and making some other guys day when he finds the part he's been looking for forever.

24. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

I don't know stuff on top of stuff is too much junk.......:confused:

25. A 12 step program may be in order..

Step 1-Identify that there is a problem
    Step 2-Admit that you created the problem
    Step 3-Assess what approach to take to remove it
    Step 4-Dwell on the problem for a few weeks,or maybe a month
    Step 5-Go to a swap meet or two, and add to the "junk"
    Step 6-Re-think if there really is a problem
    Step 7-Consider if there is room on your property, for another building
    Step 8-Justify in your mind the importance of the "junk"
    Step 9-Keep only the junk that you know, you will use "some day"
    Step 10-Determine if that spare bedroom, is really necessary for guests
    Step 11-Re-classify the items as "collectibles"
    Step 12-Realize that deep down, you know you aren't going to do shit about it

26. yblock292

yblock292

do i ever, but it always fun to be diggin through it all looking for something you know you have and find something you didn't know you had, then forget what you started out looking for.

27. 2935ford

2935ford

The day or week after you have thrown it out.......you need it!

28. no55mad

no55mad

It is called the car/parts retirement portfolio. Will it ever be worthless? If you don't use it, it will put a smile on someones face someday.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  29. I've been paring down my "stuff" for awhile. Living in Tornado Alley, I saw a great deal of my original "stuff" fly off to Kansas, Tulsa, and all along I-44 nearly ten years ago. That was the first purge, albeit involuntary. The second purge is involving getting rid of "stuff" that does not directly relate or belong to my current on and off-topic cars, and selling the rest. Or, trade for stuff I really DO need.

Face it, no matter how hard you try, you can not take ANY of it with you; and why burden your family with the task of getting rid of it all? Most cases, they either give it away, sell it REAL cheap, or simply scrap it for whatever $$$ they can get from it.

One day, I intend to move with just the bare minimum. If I intended to stay where I am for the next thirty to forty years, my mindset might be a little different. My goal is to enjoy what I have now, and die old, broke, and happy. Oh, and without five barns full of "stuff".

30. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

My friend Gerry Burger and I were talking about it when we both moved out of Floriduh... he said it best: "What do you do with stuff that's too good to throw away, but not good enough to keep?"

I've found that once you look at a part and that's the description of it, the answer becomes a lot easier.

For instance, finned Buick drums and an aluminum Corvair steering box don't fit that description, while a set of four badly dented trim rings do.

-Brad