Register now to get rid of these ads!

Show us your "traditional" TEARDROP CAMPER...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Junkyard Dog 32, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Here's one that I built a few years ago. They are really easy to build. I had no previous woodworking experience and it still went really smoothly. The link is to a series of pics showing step by step how I built it.

http://community.webshots.com/user/robert5656

Attached Files:

robracer1 likes this.
  2. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

My thread got closed when I said traditional.

3. 41 C28

41 C28

Here is my home built teardrop. Made it to haul my wife's handicap scooter. Wooden frame work, plywood and skinned with aluminum.

Attached Files:

4. Don I just ran across you post - here is a source for replacement parts for your kit axle:

@ http://www.teardropparts.com/sub-pages/teardrop trailer-frames-and-axels.htm

Jim :D

5. ford350

ford350
    from Wi.

Hi Jim,
    I did not subscribe to this thread and just checked in again and saw your post in answer to my axle problems. Thanks.
    I am still working with George on my original axle. Thanks for your help and emails about the torsion "stubby" axle you provide. Possibly some one here will want information about it.
    I want to try to get some grease in those bushings to try to save my original axle. If not I will be contacting you again about the replacement. I do understand that I need to get the "complete" set up with the drums and bearings in order to use my original 6 x 5 1/2 Chevy truck wheels.
    I will stop in and see you on one of my trips to Louisville, Ky. NSRA 40th anniversary this year and I am going. After that off with Street Rodder Magazine to Bonneville for Speed Week.
    Taking the tear drop also and camping at Louisville.
    Are you going to Louisville or Bonneville?
    Don

6. ford350

ford350
    from Wi.

[ I own and use a orginal Kit camper as well as build a replica unit as well. My orginal trailer did what yours is doing, i ( took some time) replaced all my orginal axle grease zerts and finally got some grease in the tubes and out the bushings , never hit the sides again....
    www.bubbastrailerpark.com

Hope it helps...:D ]

Hi Jim,
    I did not subscribe to this thread and just checked in again and saw your post in answer to my axle problems. Thanks.
    I am still working with George on my original axle. Thanks for your help and emails about the torsion "stubby" axle you provide. Possibly some one here will want information about it.
    I want to try to get some grease in those bushings to try to save my original axle. If not I will be contacting you again about the replacement. I do understand that I need to get the "complete" set up with the drums and bearings in order to use my original 6 x 5 1/2 Chevy truck wheels.
    I will stop in and see you on one of my trips to Louisville, Ky. NSRA 40th anniversary this year and I am going. After that off with Street Rodder Magazine to Bonneville for Speed Week.
    Taking the tear drop also and camping at Louisville.
    Are you going to Louisville or Bonneville?
    Don[/quote]

7. Lancelot Link

Lancelot Link

Heres Devon Rods old one ...I bought it unfinished from him and finished it off .....He made a beautiful job of it ....

[​IMG]

robracer1 likes this.
  8. MountinAsh

MountinAsh
    from So.Cal.

Traditional? Hell no! But someone had to do it.
    [​IMG]
    My son drags this one behind his slightly hopped up moped.
    [​IMG]
    MountinAsh.

9. gassman57

gassman57

Here is my Teardrop; based roughly on an early one found in Pop Mech magazine a long time ago. The axle and fenders will be changed to a more 'traditional' look as soon as it gets a bit warmer and I can work in the garage. My plans are to have a suitable 'Rod' to be my tow vehicle and get rid of the Jeep.

Attached Files:

10. hayden-cole

hayden-cole
    from nor cal

here is a picture of my new teardrop 5 x 9 almost done
    and my tow rig 37 ford

Attached Files:

11. Patrick46

Patrick46

12. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

Here's mine. It's black now with tires, wheels, and hub caps to match the car. Pretty plain Jane. We have a coke cooler and a propane stove in the back. Never have slept in it. The room service is crappy and there's no cable TV. Like someone said earlier, it tows great, at least up to 100.

Attached Files:

13. ratster

ratster

cool!! i'm building one right now

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'm wondering if anyone has ever considered reversing the design of the traditional tear drop, ie.. putting the pointy-er end into the wind and making the clamshell door for cooking on the taller, blunt end. Seems it might be more aero... would take some getting used to, eh? Gary

15. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Aircraft wings are curved on the top and flat on the bottam...you might get a little more "lift" than you want, it won't take off:D:Dbut it might handle poorly.

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

My 47 Kit Trailer has only one door on the LH side rather than 2. The original axle under it was a swing axle with a coil spring wrapped aound the axle on each side. One spring was broken, couldn't find any parts so bought a brand new axle duplicate of original at a trailer place. Wheels/hubs are 5 on 4 1/2" circle.
    Typical 4X8 floor construction using 3/4(?) plywood for floors, walls, back hatch ribs and perimeter frame, kitchen cabinets, door, bookshelf and a thin plywood for the inner skin from lower front up to the hatch hinge, and lining the inside of the hatch.
    Under the rear deck is the kitchen: stainless round water tank( sadly I'm missing this piece) from side to side at top under the hinge, filler outside on the LH side, small stainless sink mounted to tank on RH side above cooler lid. Cooler is top-opening with latch and zinc-lined box with bottom drain and just below the top on the face of the cabinet a genuine Coca-Cola bottle opener. On left of cooler is a open frame cast iron 2 burner propane stove on a steel-covered asbestos tray. The face of the cabinet under the cooktop has two doors which access storage beneath the cooktop.
    Exterior is aircraft aluminum as were most of these postwar creations.
    When I got it, it had an upper deck added to it for sleeping quarters for the PO's kids while camping/fishing in OK. It also had 32 Chevrolet rear fenders and runningboards and a 47 Chevrolet rear bumper with guards and a splash shelf between the bumper and body for stowage. The no-door side had an expandable Model T era luggage rack(fence) along the runningboard. I won't be keeping any of that except maybe the upper deck.

We'll be getting started on the rebuild pretty soon. These darlings don't like to outside unattended for 40 years, but she'll be back as good as new or better and on the road again.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  17. jez95xj

jez95xj

Here is my teardrop we just took it and teh 51 on our honeymoon 5500 miles. Route 66 from KS to CA then up highway 1 / 101 to OR and back home to KS.

Attached Files:

18. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Junkyard Dog 32,
    Teardrop trailers are cool, especially when towed behind a hot rod or old car.
    Pictured below is my Kit Camper reproduction which I've used a lot for 10 years.
    Based on my personal experience, here's my $.02 for your consideration if you're gonna build or buy one:
    Most of the older ones and new repros are built on a 4X8 sheet of plywood. That's great for one person but pretty narrow inside for 2 people, unless you're very skinney and/or very friendly. Some newer ones I've seen are 5 ft. wide. That's better.
    Some have only one door. 2 doors is way better, for convenience and for airflow.
    A roof vent is important. Some have fans built in. Mine doesn't.
    My windows only slide open about 3 inches...not enough. Teardrops can get hot as hell inside. Go for bigger windows.
    I had snap-in screens made that cover the whole door opening, so I can open the doors for airflow at night, but there's a trade-off for security.
    I'm 5 ft. 9 inches tall. That's just enough room to stretch out because 2 ft. of the 8 ft length is taken up by the rear kitchen/storage area. If you're taller, consider a longer unit or shrinking the kit./storage area.
    One big drawback is that you can't stand up so changing clothes is a pain in the butt. If I were to design one, I'd consider some way to pop up the top.
    A Shasta or Scotty would be more comfortable, but they're a lot heavier than a teardrop. Mt t.d. weighs 600 lbs w. a 100-125 tongue wt. You hardly know it's there.
    Hope some of these suggestions are helpful. Good luck!

Attached Files:

19. Stitchn

Stitchn

My teardrop, been going camping in it since 2006.

Attached Files:

20. yekoms

yekoms

Good old thread
    Smokey

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

True, but wings are also round on the leading edge and pointed on the trailing edge, producing lift as the air takes the longer distance over the top of the wing. So if they (in aero for dummies) the wing or the teardrop, were reversed wouldn't it make less lift (hence give better drag figures?). I doubt it really makes much difference, I was just wondering. Also, you would put your feet in the small end (which would be up front if the whole deal was reversed) when sleeping and sit up inside / cook outside on the taller end, making things a bit more comfortable.

Later, Gary

22. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I'm building one this winter. The frame is done and the sides and floor are together for a test fit. Mine is built on a 4x8 base. I am not building a rear kitchen. I don't want to deal with the hatch leaks. All of the cooking supplies will ride on a system of shelves inside. We'll cook outside. I'm also running early ford 16" wheels with motor cycle style fenders (made from a 35 ford spare tire cover) mounted to the axle. Since there's no rear hatch, I mounted 32 rear frame horns, a spreader bar and a vintage luggage rack back there. I'm going for a patina'd vintage look. We'll be on the road with it in the spring 2010. I'll post some pictures soon. Sam

23. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I gotcha Gary, really didn't have visions of it flying:D!

24. hayden-cole

hayden-cole
    from nor cal

here is a couple pic of my teardrop

fully loaded

Attached Files:

25. studhud

studhud

Heres a pic of my 1947 Kenskill
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dave Hitch

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  26. ford350

ford350
    from Wi.

Hi Jim, is it?
    I did the same as you with the grease fittings and forced some grease in the tube, bounced it, shook it and greased it again and finally got some grease out of each end so I feel it is well greased now.
    I am comfortable with it on the trips again!
    Don

27. ford350

ford350
    from Wi.

I will stop in and see you when I pass through on the way to Louisville in 2011 August.
    Don

28. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

Our 1947 "Tourette" teardrop trailer.
    [​IMG]

29. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

1-7-2011 6;38;51 PM.jpg Anybody got any info on this lil gem?