Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

No problem.

Took me three edits to make it work. ;)

2. Howdy all, I've been missing in action. Seems my puter with the thousands of photos of Modifieds plus the thousands of rods and customs got a bug and wiped every single photo out. Every time I tried to open my files, my computer froze up solid, at first I saw photos when I open folders which was odd. Then when I tryed again, some were empty, did a restore.................may she rest in peace. now I am running an original circa 1976 Islip Speedway transition period perfect, let's hope this works, from the dust bunnies under the bed held together with duct tape and a prayer computer.

Welcome Allstate or whoever, I'm the Pitbulls old man.

3. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

^ It only took one crash for me.I now use an external harddrive: save your pics to it, then keep it unplugged from the computer and the net.

4. You have any idea how many times I was going to transfer them to disc? But my E driver crapped out also? I,m sure glad I never got into modifieds. LOL

5. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

Reading PA.........Bring your hot rod!

[​IMG]

6. Dr. John

Dr. John

LEN CALINOFF PHOTOS FROM LONG ISLAND. A few years ago, I scanned-and-Photoshopped some of Len's slides for his daughter. She recently gave me permission to "do something with them." Here they are -- enjoy, and thank the late Len Calinoff! (PLEASE DO NOT LIFT THESE AND POST ON OTHER SITES OR SELL THEM. HIS DAUGHTER STILL HAS THE RIGHTS TO THE IMAGES.)

[​IMG]
    Art Tappen

[​IMG]
    Art Tappen

[​IMG]
    Al Hansen

[​IMG]
    Al Hansen

[​IMG]
    Al DeAngelo. I guess air filters were on sale at Two Guys that weekend...

Many of the slides had little or no ID. I will post more when I get some free time.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  7. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Islip Speedway!
    The house that Larry built.

Now we're talking!

(I swear I can still hear Walt Edsel calling; Modifieds ! Modifeds! Line up on the chute!)

8. goodoledays

goodoledays

I was wondering who might have his collection..I would imagine it would take all summer to post his pictures...:)
    Thanks for posting those, it brings back great memories

9. Dr. John

Dr. John

I only scanned what she gave me -- many cars I thought would be there weren't. But I was happy to work on whatever she sent me...

10. Dr. John

Dr. John

PART II: LEN CALINOFF PHOTOS FROM LONG ISLAND. A few years ago, I scanned-and-PART II: Photoshopped some of Len's slides for his daughter. She recently gave me permission to "do something with them." Here they are -- enjoy, and thank the late Len Calinoff! (PLEASE DO NOT LIFT THESE AND POST ON OTHER SITES OR SELL THEM. HIS DAUGHTER STILL HAS THE RIGHTS TO THE IMAGES.)

______???
    [​IMG]

Butch LaFrance
    [​IMG]

_____ Commerdinger (?) UPDATE: While that's what it said on the slide, I am told this is Marty Himes.
    [​IMG]

I am told this is Fred DeSarro. Thanks for everyone who helped fill in the blanks.
    [​IMG]

Ed Brunnhoelzl Sr.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Lane
    [​IMG]

Bob Park Sr.
    [​IMG]

Bill Spade
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  11. Dr. John

Dr. John

PART IV: LEN CALINOFF PHOTOS FROM LONG ISLAND. A few years ago, I scanned-and-Photoshopped some of Len's slides for his daughter. She recently gave me permission to "do something with them." Here they are -- enjoy, and thank the late Len Calinoff! (PLEASE DO NOT LIFT THESE AND POST ON OTHER SITES OR SELL THEM. HIS DAUGHTER STILL HAS THE RIGHTS TO THE IMAGES.)

Frank Mackwich
    [​IMG]

12. George M.

George M.

Great pictures from Islip! Man I loved that place. I don't think I missed more than a handful of races there from 1960 until it closed in '84!
    I don't know who's in the 25 coupe, but the x50 is Marty Himes and the 00 is Fred DeSarro! I'm hoping you've got more to post! These are great!
    Len Calinoff was a great guy. He and my Father were good friends!
    That's a great shot of Harry Hebenstreit driving the pace car!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  13. John! I LOVE YOU! You be my new hero, next to my kid of course.

I got to download all those great, "in my day" photos of Islip with all the drivers I watched and many I knew. Darn, Al Hanson used to DRIVE his modifidies back and forth to the track about 6-8 blocks each way! Now those were the days! Route 111 was only two lanes wide!

OK so it's 6am and I haven't been to bed yet, too busy but I will consider this part the last part of an absolutely GREAT birthday.

Thank you John for those great memories and baptising my new Laptop which was also a gift with those photos as the first photos download to this here machine.

14. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I see lots of these modifieds with 3/4 ton truck rears, I am guessing they are running 15 inch wheels....
    what did they do to make the wheels?

15. Hogans Goat

Hogans Goat

These pictures are bringng back lots of memories. Billy Spades coach is a 36 Chevy. It's not my old 37 for sure. The cars with 3/4 ton rears are early 60's. By the time 15" wheels were used, most everyone had switched to Champ Rears. In the early days, lots of guys were running re-capped slicks bought from Eddie B. I never had the money to buy a new Racemaster.

16. Dr. John

Dr. John

PART V: LEN CALINOFF PHOTOS FROM LONG ISLAND. A few years ago, I scanned-and-Photoshopped some of Len's slides for his daughter. She recently gave me permission to "do something with them." Here they are -- enjoy, and thank the late Len Calinoff! (PLEASE DO NOT LIFT THESE AND POST ON OTHER SITES OR SELL THEM. HIS DAUGHTER STILL HAS THE RIGHTS TO THE IMAGES.)

Buzzie Reutimann. Obviously, this is not his coupe, so this was taken in the mid-'70s... (UPDATE: Jeff Scott tells me this probably is his Camaro, since he won here with it in the 300 in '74 after selling the coupe to Jack Duffy.)
    [​IMG]

Fred Harbach
    [​IMG]

Gary Anderson (Thanks for helping with the name, BF) Again, since many of the slides had no ID, please feel free to chime in if you know who these drivers are.)
    [​IMG]

George Peters (Thanks again, BF.)
    [​IMG]

Gary Anderson
    [​IMG]

Gary Winters
    [​IMG]

George Wagner
    [​IMG]

George Wagner
    [​IMG]

Hank DeAngelo
    [​IMG]

Herb Hulse
    [​IMG]

Jim Hendrickson
    [​IMG]

17. Dr. John

Dr. John

PART VI: LEN CALINOFF PHOTOS FROM LONG ISLAND. A few years ago, I scanned-and-Photoshopped some of Len's slides for his daughter. She recently gave me permission to "do something with them." Here they are -- enjoy, and thank the late Len Calinoff! (PLEASE DO NOT LIFT THESE AND POST ON OTHER SITES OR SELL THEM. HIS DAUGHTER STILL HAS THE RIGHTS TO THE IMAGES.)

Luigi Terripichio (Thanks, Bob Finan, for help with the names.)
    [​IMG]

Mickey Corr
    [​IMG]

Lew Hennsessy
    [​IMG]

Junior Dilmore
    [​IMG]

Junior Dilmore
    [​IMG]

Johnny Zeke
    [​IMG]

Jim Hendrickson
    [​IMG]

Mickey Corr
    [​IMG]

Pat Moon
    [​IMG]

18. Dr. John

Dr. John

PART VII: LEN CALINOFF PHOTOS FROM LONG ISLAND. A few years ago, I scanned-and-Photoshopped some of Len's slides for his daughter. She recently gave me permission to "do something with them." Here they are -- enjoy, and thank the late Len Calinoff! (PLEASE DO NOT LIFT THESE AND POST ON OTHER SITES OR SELL THEM. HIS DAUGHTER STILL HAS THE RIGHTS TO THE IMAGES.)

Len also took pictures of '70s Modifieds at Pocono:

Pembroke, N.Y., driver (Lancaster Speedway regular) Mark Newton at Pocono
    [​IMG]

Update: I am told this is Tom Green...
    [​IMG]

BACK TO ISLIP AND THE LATE '60s...

Mousey Kempster
    [​IMG]

Mousey Kempster
    [​IMG]

Paul Grodewald (Thanks, Bob Finan, for your help with the names here.)
    [​IMG]

George Peters
    [​IMG]

Ed Doty
    [​IMG]

Pat Moon (Len musta liked him...)
    [​IMG]

and...
    Ben Williams' beautiful 1/25-scale model of Richie Evans' coupe. Decals by Tom Piotrowski of Lancaster, N.Y.
    [​IMG]

19. Hogans Goat

Hogans Goat

You guys are making me cry ! So many guys who's names I forgot. That's Georgie Peters in Frank Ariano's 8X. I helped Frank build that car for Trenton and Langhorne. I hope someone has pictures of Frank's " Non-Ford" coupes that ran at Freeport. They were dominent in that class and won most, if not all the 100 lap qualifiers. His cars were the 282 and 82. When we built the second one for Bruno Brackey to drive, it was 1-2 finishes every week. Another story I love to tell is when Freeport created a new class called "Open Cockpit Modifieds". Frank asked me to build a new car and I said I would if he gave me a free hand. He did and I went crazy ! I cut up a 53 chevy frame, shortened and lowered. Then I put the slant six 48" behind the front axle. There was no room for a clutch pedal, so I turned a pedal assemby upside down on the left door bar. Georgie went nuts when I told him to let go of the wheel to shift. Then I clamped a PortaPower to the right front post of the cage and drilled a hole to put the hose in the post. They all went nuts with that one. Frank says "Nick, it don't do nothing". I said "nobody else knows that, Georgie, pump it when you pass the starter". So here's this slant six bug with a DeSoto rear and trans locked in second gear. Frank puts Georgie Cousins in it for a 50 lapper RWYB at Riverhead and he finishes second against the injected modifieds. I"ll bet Frank is up there still laughing about that car. Good friends, good racin and no BS rulebooks !

20. Dr. John

Dr. John

Didn't Prince write a song in '84 about that? "When Goats Cry?"

21. Dr. John

Dr. John

PART VIII: LEN CALINOFF PHOTOS FROM LONG ISLAND. A few years ago, I scanned-and-Photoshopped some of Len's slides for his daughter. She recently gave me permission to "do something with them." Here they are -- enjoy, and thank the late Len Calinoff! (PLEASE DO NOT LIFT THESE AND POST ON OTHER SITES OR SELL THEM. HIS DAUGHTER STILL OWNS THE RIGHTS TO THESE IMAGES.)

Ron Schwendenmann
    [​IMG]

Jack Reinhardt
    [​IMG]

22. Dr. John

Dr. John

And now for the bad news. Following is the last batch of old ('60s) Islip pics I have from the late Len Calinoff. I do have more of his late-'70s Pocono/superspeedway Modifieds slides to post in the future.

PART IX: LEN CALINOFF PHOTOS FROM LONG ISLAND. A few years ago, I scanned-and-Photoshopped some of Len's slides for his daughter. She recently gave me permission to "do something with them." Here they are -- enjoy, and thank the late Len Calinoff! (PLEASE DO NOT LIFT THESE AND POST ON OTHER SITES OR SELL THEM. HIS DAUGHTER STILL OWNS THE RIGHTS TO THESE IMAGES.)

Tom Baldwin
    [​IMG]

Gene Suizdak (Thanks, Bob Finan, for helping with the names.)
    [​IMG]

Chuck Williams
    [​IMG]

Gary Winters
    [​IMG]

23. BKHRS

BKHRS

Any chance you remember this car? Anything on the drivers?
    Thanks,
    Barry

Attached Files:

24. George M.

George M.

Russ Schwendenmann...That would be Ron "Soupy" Schwendenmann
    [​IMG]

Jack ("Jackie") Reinhard
    [​IMG]

25. long island vic

long island vic

ron schwendermann jack reinhard john betts in the chevy II

26. George M.

George M.

Don't know who is in the first and third "Triple Nickel" (obviously the same guy), but the one in the middle is Jay "Junior" Dilmore!
    The 20 is Jack Lecuyer in the Czarnecki Brothers car. They're still at it today with a #20 Modified on the True Value Modified Series.

27. George M.

George M.

I was going to say Gene Suizdak in the Chevy II

28. allstarracing

allstarracing

We would take two wheels cut the outer flanges off turn one around and weld them back together. With the right wheels you could make up to about 12" wide wheels. Sometimes we would move the center to get less offset to put the wheel out farther. Yes they were 15". Some guys came up with some 16" inch CanAm tires but they didn't work too well.

29. allstarracing

allstarracing

Hey guys I have gotten more pictures of my cars and cars that I have built. Hope you enjoy these.
    This was my first totaly mine NASCAR sportsman. Ran in Calif. at San Gabriel speedway, Orange Show and ran the very first race at El Centro. It was dirt when first opened in 1971.

[​IMG]

30. allstarracing

allstarracing

Here is another pictue of my NASCAR sportsman T-bird in the pits at San Gabriel Speedway Calif.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.